Quantcast

Solid 4/5" on the Fly fork for new XC rig

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
It's been a few years since I've followed XC and I hope to do my first race since 2000 this summer. I have no idea what forks are available these days for XC since I haven't stayed up to date on them, last I knew the Atom 80, SID SL and Manitou Xvert Ti were the hot XC forks and were in the 80mm range for travel.

Appears a lot of current XC frames are now designed around a 4" travel fork as is the frame I'm interested in. What's available for a solid 4" fork (hopefully with on the fly 5" option for those unique courses like Mt Snow that have a long DH section) that's going to pedal well without a ton of Bob. I've heard that some Manitou forks have SPV now and that the Fox forks are good. I personally have an aweful track record with Rock Shox so no need to recommend those. I'm a huge fan of Marzocchi but I don't think the have on the fly travel adjustability.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Since you already have a sweet ass trail bike in that RFX you really don't need 5" as much as you might think, so I'd avoid the added weight and complexity of adjustable travel. The forks I'd reccomend looking at are the Manitou Minute 2, the Fox float 100X, and the Float 100 rl.

The minute 2 and the rl will be about the same price, with the minute being lighter and spv. the 100x is the heaviest and most expensive option out of those 3, but some people love the way that fork feels (it uses the same suspension concept as a the specialized epic, with a little brass chuck that locks the suspension out completely on flat surfaces...)

5" will usually screw up the handling of an xc bike enough that any travel benefits are a moot point.

What frame are you considering?
:edit: My choice would likely be the minute 2 100mm attached to the front of an Intense Spider running Sram X9 with Hayes mags.

I did my first XC race in nearly 2 years last night, and all this time riding dh made me pine for some rear suspension..

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Considering a Turner Burner and I agree, a 100mm air fork will probably be best. That Fox 100x is $$$, wouldn't the SPV be as good? I've just never had luck with Manitou so I'm a little skeptical.

Is the Intense Spider that VPP XC bike?

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Another thought occurred to me, a whole new XC bike was not in the budget for this year, so back to my 4-5" question but without the on the fly requirement.

If I can find a good 4-5" XC type fork I can run it in a 5" mode on my RFX for racing this year (it would have to save at least 3 lbs. over my 7 lb. Z150 and lower the front end) and adjust it to 4" next season when I can afford the frame etc. I've also got a spare XT front Disc QR hub that I could build up on a lighter rim and use on the RFX when I hit an XC race. Between the two, and taking the DH tubes out for XC ones, I should be able to cut 5 lbs. for not too much money. 35 lbs. still isn't respectable in XC land but it's a heck of a lot better than 40 lbs.

elicious

Chimp
May 13, 2004
NYC
Sherman Flick?

It's got adjustable travel between 90-130mm and I think it's pretty darn light for a fork that can actually perform at the 5" mark. Weight savings are secondary, right? You basically want to be able to ride an XC geometry when hitting trails and hit the bigger stuff for freeride-ish stuff, correct?

g'luck :)

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I vote Fox TALAS or, if not that, Manitou Minute. TALAS has adjustable travel, great stroke, air adjustability and good reputation and durability. Can be had with lockout too.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Originally posted by elicious
Sherman Flick?

Weight savings are secondary, right? You basically want to be able to ride an XC geometry when hitting trails and hit the bigger stuff for freeride-ish stuff, correct?

g'luck :)
Is there any perf. difference between the Flick and the Firefly? It's a little about the weight when I've currently got a 40 lb. trail bike that I want to race XC on. I'm pretty sure I can cut 5 lbs. safely off of this and get some better XC geometry too. That on the fly 130-90mm adj. looks ideal. Does it really work? Is the fork any good when it's at 90 or is it harsh?

marzocchi marathon 100's are amazing XC forks at around 4 lbs ish. they have coil versions too i believe. it comes, standard, with the legendary marzocchi reliability with the addition of dopio air and feels awsome. and no i don't work for marzocchi and have no affiliation with them whatsoever

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Marathons rock. I have an air sprung one from 02 that weighs in at something like 3.5 lbs. The new coils are pushing 4.5, I think. If you were doing more aggro trail riding, thats what I would reccommend.