Quantcast

Solid frame, cheap parts? Or cheaper frame and solid parts?

Panda Bear

Chimp
Oct 30, 2011
Where my home is
Hey guys! I'm new to the forum, and would like your advice on something.

I've been riding an old bike that has horrible geometry, and am ready for something new. I upgraded a lot of the components on my old ride (2007 fox 40, new stem and bars, got the shock custom tuned for me) and its still hard to ride. the rest of the components are about 7 years old though.

I've been looking for replacement bikes and am caught in a delimma:
I could get an oldish bike (2006-2007) like a session 77, and upgrade the **** out of the parts, or i could get a sick new frame (2010 GT Fury Carbon) and swap all my old components over.

My budget is about $1000, and im hoping to get about $500 from some spare parts i'm selling.

The GT frame, angleset, and rear wheel (My old bike is a 135mm and the Fury is 150mm) will cost just about everything.

I can get a different bike like the session 77 or a Specialized SXT, and still have about $500 to buy some new suspension and such. I can get some pretty good deals on suspension too, so $500 will cut it.

Im about 145 lbs all geared up, and ride flowy jumpy stuff. I ride resorts a bit, and when i'm there I'll shred rocks, but i like smooth flowy better. I would also call myself a big mountain rider (i just built an 8' drop into a road gap) so this bike needs to be bomb-proof. Im headed to utah with some friends soon, and want to hit some big drops at the old rampage site.

any advice or help is welcome. i just threw out some ideas of bikes. Ill look at other cheaper bikes, but i can get the GT or a 2009 Commencal Supreme locally, and both will wipe out all my money.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
get a proper frame and upgrade as you go............you can't polish a turd.

Panda Bear

Chimp
Oct 30, 2011
Where my home is
Okay, i see what you are saying...

so would the Commencal or GT work better as a Big Hit bike? Im thinking GT just because its carbon, but they used carbon for strength, not weight. and i get a complete rear wheel with it. IF you go Commencal i only get a 150mm hub.

Thanks for the advice guys!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Frame first for sure. If you get a fury with angleset and a wheel for what 1000? 1500 Than that's a good deal. Some commencal models had bearing problems so I'd pass on that.

Though If you want a good frame and maybe some parts think about a used sunday (best from the newer years, was it 2007 when they stopped having bearing problems?) with an angleset. They are still the best bang for the buck.