Quantcast

Solitude

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Been working about 100 miles out of town.
Staying at friends in Bellingham and on my way to visit family on my Reservation.
With bikey i'm set for 2 smaller solo rides.
One that's fairly popular and another i doubt hardly anyone has ever set wheels on.

Cutthroat Creek Trail
12 miles 2300' out and back

North Cascades is reknowned for it's alpine scenery.
Steep granite peaks jutting skyward,
it's rugged,
it's an outstanding place to be out in the sticks and ride.

The clouds chased me along the highway.
So it's not suprising to me that when i settle in for a ride they demonstrate that summer is officially over.

A nice stretch of gentle climbing singletrack to warm up.

After a few miles the rain decided to finally break.
It was a nice change of pace, i haven't ridden in rain for over 4 months.
The dry parched forests have been needing it,
a few forest fires in the area we starting to get out of hand.

To the lake.

After taking some quality moments at the serene lake
listening to the knocking of a woodpecker and other chatter from assorted birds...
i begin the ascent to Cutthroat Pass.

The climbing never get's too steep.
A nice grind with of course a few switchbacks.

Really this is one of the finer trail rides on the planet.
The trail moderately flowy,
with a nice combination of buffed packed earth and rocky choppy goodness to keep you honest
All the while the high rocky peaks in your periphereal.
Outstandingly scenic and beautiful,
along with the fun descent of what you climb,
it's got the whole package.

Finally reaching Cuthroat pass,
the clouds had again rolled in.
Years of riding in this state has taught me that mountain weather can change unpredictably.
So gearing up i pondered my next step.
Socked in with fog i was a little dissapointed i wasn't going to get a money panorama shot...

So after getting caught talking to myself,
i take heed of a camper's advice and ride just a little spell on the Pacific Crest Trail
to get an outstanding view on the other side of the Pass.
Just when you think you're alone on top of the world...

Stunning, my photos really don't do it justice...

Satisfied i was ready to head down the mountain,
i made it no further than a fifty feet back down the trail when i realized that the clouds were passing.
The camper tucked back into his tent with his woman must have thought me truly strange,
riding all over this alpine terrain in such an indecisive sporadic way.
Oh well us mt. bikers are weird, why fight it...
(and yah it's worth mentioning the descent was very very good)

Thirteen Mile Trail

Oh about 7 or 8 miles in and back for 16 or so total, with around a couple grand of guesstamated vert....

Saddle up, after visiting my family on the "rez", it was time to do some exploring.

The trail starts on my reservation and quickly finds it's way up
and out of the Sanpoil River Valley and into the Kettle Range.
Rocky cliffs and steep rocky trails greet you as you begin.

An alterior motive of checking this trail out would be that i'm hosting a club ride here next year.
A huge 40 plus mile XC shuttle with this trail being the ending point.
So while enjoying a pleasurable climb, the descent back to the car was my primary focus.
As if that usually isn't anyways on any other ride i do....

Took me a mere 7 minutes to clear, always good trail karma...

After a quick jaunt up past the cliffs the trail mellows,
turning into the delightful fast smooth trails with occasional rocky sections that's typical for the Kettle Crest Trails.

And occasionaly turning primitive that doesn't require too much of a keen eye to spot where the trail is,
or maybe i'm just good at this kind thing.

And since this is range area it wasn't far fetched that on the very very worthy descent i run into my nemisis. Nothing worse than Kettle Range Cattle, so we meet again.....

Well what a nice short little getaway it was, with some nice trail riding.
i'm pretty stoked was able to finally bag Cutthroat, and do a little sneak and peek on Thirteen Mile. i'm extremely confident next years Sherman Pass to Thirteen Mile is going to be nothing but outstanding.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Great pictures as always...the scenery looks incredible, even with all the fog. I'm really hoping I can make it up there sometime next year...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Awesome stuff.

Pretty sure I rode a trail called Skookum in Squamish last week and thought of you. Either that or I dreamed it, so I hope it's there. :twitch:

burly50

Where the hell is everyone?
May 13, 2006
Westtown, NY

Where is this? I must move there tonight. Great report and beautiful photos. The fog makes them even better. More dramatic. I'm just a sucker for ominous weather photos. I'm also happy to see an Enduro being pedaled that high. I was a little skeptical prior to buying mine, but I am very impressed with it's ability to gain elevation almost as easily as my Stumpjumper. Yours is a size large, yes? If so, how tall are you? I ended up with an XL (demo bike. The only size they had, and a super killer deal). Seems to work fine for me, but I still wonder if the large would suit me better, since my Stumpy is a large and that bike fits me better than anything I have ever ridden. Sorry for the hijack, but I just had to ask about the bike. Again, awsome photos.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
That sounds like a trip worth joining in on. When are you thinking of doing the club ride next year?
Fourth of July weekend, it will be the 3rd annual get together.
Ya gotta come check it out!
i was thinking about you a while back wondering how you been?
How you doin bro, gettin any birds eating perched from ya head lately???

damn ya'll got some gorgeous trails out there....
Yah you post so much rock climbing stuff you'd never run out of stuff to climb out here,
except for the winter of course...
But yah alot of people around here just don't appreciate the backcountry thats available to us.
That's why i never discourage people on bikey forums from comin out here and checking it out.
Need more people who appreciate the awesomeness.

Awesome stuff.

Pretty sure I rode a trail called Skookum in Squamish last week and thought of you. Either that or I dreamed it, so I hope it's there. :twitch:
Take 2 slices of 12 grain and surf RM in the morning and your wierd dreams should subside.:brows:

Great as always Skooks. I like those switchbacks. :thumb:
Just had the fortune of riding a new to me trail this year called Mt. Osborne.
Along with other trails an absolute gem of a ride.
i think Geary counted 37 switchbacks in about 2 miles...
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=204198

Where is this? I must move there tonight. Great report and beautiful photos. The fog makes them even better. More dramatic. I'm just a sucker for ominous weather photos. I'm also happy to see an Enduro being pedaled that high. I was a little skeptical prior to buying mine, but I am very impressed with it's ability to gain elevation almost as easily as my Stumpjumper. Yours is a size large, yes? If so, how tall are you? I ended up with an XL (demo bike. The only size they had, and a super killer deal). Seems to work fine for me, but I still wonder if the large would suit me better, since my Stumpy is a large and that bike fits me better than anything I have ever ridden. Sorry for the hijack, but I just had to ask about the bike. Again, awsome photos.
Washington State, and thanks for the kind words.
Size Large and i'm 6'1".
Yah i'm looking to get something a bit lighter, so i can do some over 30 milers and bigger elevation rides. But i'll keep the Enduro, it's been absolutely perfect for most of my riding needs.
i call it my "Little Big Bike".
And i really don't consider talking about bikes on a bike forum a hijack.:)

burly50

May 13, 2006
Westtown, NY
Washington State, and thanks for the kind words.
Size Large and i'm 6'1".
Yah i'm looking to get something a bit lighter, so i can do some over 30 milers and bigger elevation rides. But i'll keep the Enduro, it's been absolutely perfect for most of my riding needs.
i call it my "Little Big Bike".
And i really don't consider talking about bikes on a bike forum a hijack.:)
Damn, 6'1" on a large. I'm 5'11" on the xl. Like I said, it's not bad, but now I really wonder if I would be better on a large. How do you like the actual fit of yours. Is it like a glove, or is it a little on the small side for you. I changed things like the stem and bars for a more comfy fit, but stand over for me is a bit tight. If I have a rough get off, my under carraige might get banged up on the top tube. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. I probably need to stop worrying and just ride (when my shoulder heals up). Oh yeah, I'm also glad to see that I am not the only one to have the little mud flap too.:biggrin: Later

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
Just had the fortune of riding a new to me trail this year called Mt. Osborne.
Along with other trails an absolute gem of a ride.
i think Geary counted 37 switchbacks in about 2 miles...
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=204198
There's a ride up in CButte called "Deadman's" that has about that many switchbacks right at the end. Here are some pics - this was the last pitch on a 48 mile ride up there. :cheers:

http://home.comcast.net/~elan_mbx/Butte04/index5.html

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Damn, 6'1" on a large. I'm 5'11" on the xl. Like I said, it's not bad, but now I really wonder if I would be better on a large. How do you like the actual fit of yours. Is it like a glove, or is it a little on the small side for you. I changed things like the stem and bars for a more comfy fit, but stand over for me is a bit tight. If I have a rough get off, my under carraige might get banged up on the top tube. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. I probably need to stop worrying and just ride (when my shoulder heals up). Oh yeah, I'm also glad to see that I am not the only one to have the little mud flap too.:biggrin: Later
Yah standover isn't that important on a mt. bike.

But manueverability in the cockpit is everything...
You can get by with doing things like changing stem and such.
i'd say it's cool you're having fun and enjoying your bike now.
But next bike you get you should get properly sized,
because you will be limited with too big or small size of bike.

And yah, if you ride in mud, then you gotta have the flap.:biggrin:

There's a ride up in CButte called "Deadman's" that has about that many switchbacks right at the end. Here are some pics - this was the last pitch on a 48 mile ride up there. :cheers:

http://home.comcast.net/~elan_mbx/Butte04/index5.html
Sweet, looks a little "sluffy" on the bottom side of that trail.
48 miles that's a meaty jaunt!!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I love your ride reports Skookum. Thank you for taking time to share with us your bit of paradise.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Nice photos and bike;) Reminds me of visiting/riding Crystal Mountain (and Whistler) in 96 only nicer with snow.

Are some of those shots near the Oregon Rockies? Looks like an area I went whitewater canoeing in summer of 2001.

burly50

May 13, 2006
Westtown, NY
Yah standover isn't that important on a mt. bike.

But manueverability in the cockpit is everything...
You can get by with doing things like changing stem and such.
i'd say it's cool you're having fun and enjoying your bike now.
But next bike you get you should get properly sized,
because you will be limited with too big or small size of bike.

And yah, if you ride in mud, then you gotta have the flap.:biggrin:

Sweet, looks a little "sluffy" on the bottom side of that trail.
48 miles that's a meaty jaunt!!
Yeah, I think I'm going to stop worrying about it. I am just getting hung up on a technical point about the fact that my Stumpy is a large. I can do everything on the Enduro like I can on the Stumpy. I actually felt that I generated more pedaling power on the xl Enduro, i.e., carrying a gear or 2 higher on the climbs. Plus, I like the feeling of not being so over the bars on the Enduro since I usually will tend to get myself into hairy situations with it compared to the Stumpy. I really think both bikes fit me correctly for their intended uses. I also feel that there is such a minute difference in physical size between large and xl that either one would work fine. Basically, I need to stop being such a girl and just ride. Thanks for all the replies. They helped me come to the conclusion that every thing is fine with my set up. Later

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Nice photos and bike;) Reminds me of visiting/riding Crystal Mountain (and Whistler) in 96 only nicer with snow.

Are some of those shots near the Oregon Rockies? Looks like an area I went whitewater canoeing in summer of 2001.
i haven't ridden Crystal in a looong time... maybe next Friday.....

There are a few other main staples of great mountain riding in the area, i always seem to pass over Crystal. And every year i say i'll get back out there and ride it.:biggrin:

And no, the Northern Cascades are located in the central norther part of the state, stretching from Highway 2 thru Highway 20 and into Canada.
Most of the area has Wilderness Designation so really there are many many trails denied access to mt. bikers.