Quantcast

solo and sleeping?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Been pondering about doing a solo 24hr. Was wondering how much sleep most solo 24hr racers opt for during a race, and how its broken up? Sleep a few hours in one shot? take a bunch of shorter naps? Or is this part of peoples secret strategy?

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
never slept during my 24 hour solos - your competitors never sleep....once you stop you'll never want to get back on the bike. Start with a 12 hour maybe?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
never slept during my 24 hour solos - your competitors never sleep....once you stop you'll never want to get back on the bike. Start with a 12 hour maybe?
Spot on! shorter rests are better...it's tough to get back in the saddle after a long break.

Depends on you really, but no sleep is probably the way to go. Definitely have a great crew person that can feed you and drive you home after the race though.

Do the experienced 24 solo folks out there think it's best to start with a 6 hour, than a 12 hour/100 miler and than consider a 24?? I have never focused on endurance training until one month ago. Always been doing speed/interval work mostly for the shorter xc races. Decided to really focus on getting a good base this year and have been thinking of doing some endurance races but just can't imagine staying on a bike for 24 hours.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Do the experienced 24 solo folks out there think it's best to start with a 6 hour, than a 12 hour/100 miler and than consider a 24?? I have never focused on endurance training until one month ago. Always been doing speed/interval work mostly for the shorter xc races. Decided to really focus on getting a good base this year and have been thinking of doing some endurance races but just can't imagine staying on a bike for 24 hours.
Not necessarily. I have never done a 6 or 12 hour race, but I do 24 hour solo races. I find that the 6 hour races are a long sprint and won't necessarily help you prepare for the full 24 hours as well as a 12 hour would. You would be surprised at what your body can handle (with practice of course).

Not necessarily. I have never done a 6 or 12 hour race, but I do 24 hour solo races. I find that the 6 hour races are a long sprint and won't necessarily help you prepare for the full 24 hours as well as a 12 hour would. You would be surprised at what your body can handle (with practice of course).
What sort of practice? I'm picking up on things on the forums, but seems like a lot of people don't train longer then 4-6 hours/day. The same folks do some back to back long days as training. What do you do to get prepared??

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Heard that you were new in town
Someone said you party down
Well later I'll be comin' around
We'll rack 'em up and suck 'em down

Don't call your mother, don't call your priest, don't call your doctor, call the police!
You bring the razor blade, I'll bring the speed
Take off your coat, it's gonna be a long night!

There'll be no second chance for you
Tomorrow you'll be black and blue
Show your friends your new tattoo

You're gonna suffer, you're gonna bleed
I heard it all before, you will concede
I've taken everything, you're going down
Lock up the doors, it's gonna be a long night!

It's gonna be a long night, it's gonna be a cat fight, it's gonna be a gang bang, yeah!

Don't call your mother, don't call your priest, don't call your doctor, call the police!
You bring the razor blade, I'll bring the speed
Take off your coat, it's gonna be a long night!

You're gonna suffer, you're gonna bleed
I heard it all before, you will concede
I've taken everything, you're going down
Lock up the doors, it's gonna be a long night!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
What sort of practice? I'm picking up on things on the forums, but seems like a lot of people don't train longer then 4-6 hours/day. The same folks do some back to back long days as training. What do you do to get prepared??
I ride as much as I can and at all hours of the day/night. I will set my alarm for lots of different random hours and hit the rollers for an hour or so. This is also how I practice my nutrition. It's really weird to be starving and need to eat a substantial amount of calories at 3am. I definitely try to get in multiple rides per day (usually a combo of rollers and trail/road rides). I also try (usually unsuccessfully due to work/life commitments) to get in a few really long rides (8+hours) prior to the event to get your body used to being in the saddle and ride position for that long.

Westy - yeah, I already have that song on my ipod, it's a good one. I believe I first heard it on a snowboard DVD in the crash section.

Treesaw - thanks for the advice. I think i'm going to do a 6 hour race, then a 12 and probably the Shenandoah 100 this year and if I really like the suffer fest I'll look into 24 solo next year.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Westy - yeah, I already have that song on my ipod, it's a good one. I believe I first heard it on a snowboard DVD in the crash section.

Treesaw - thanks for the advice. I think i'm going to do a 6 hour race, then a 12 and probably the Shenandoah 100 this year and if I really like the suffer fest I'll look into 24 solo next year.
Sweet! Enjoy the rides...that's the best part :) I may do a 100 mile stage race this year (2 50 mile courses) and a 24 solo.

sassmatt72

Chimp
Dec 2, 2009
I slept once durring a 24 hour race, I woke up to cow bells and bright sunshine, the best 8 hours of sleep ever. Duhhhh I just intended to rest for a few min, DON'T SLEEP, HELL DON'T EVEN SIT DOWN IN A CHAIR!!! if you do it might be over, it's so hard to get going again..... humbled in Cool, Matt