Quantcast

Solution Time

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
The fact that TBB released this statement now gives people who don't want to see DH'ing end at snow summit, and who can make contributions to an equitable solution, time to come together.

Next week there is a premier scheduled at the Henneseys in Dana Point. Would this be an opportune time for a convening of minds? Any other thoughts?

I would hate for the biking community to give up on this issue without a fight.

Mustang85

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Encinitas, its near San Diego
W4S said:
The fact that TBB released this statement now gives people who don't want to see DH'ing end at snow summit, and who can make contributions to an equitable solution, time to come together.

Next week there is a premier scheduled at the Henneseys in Dana Point. Would this be an opportune time for a convening of minds? Any other thoughts?

I'll be there Thursday.

This sucks because I WAS going to start racing this upcoming season :nuts: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble:

We should all definitely look into Mountain High as a possible spot for future DH'ing

Time to call you friends in high places people lets get some lawyers, environmentalists, and the shop owners on our side.

Just think of what we could do if only 50 of us went up to do free trail work at MH for a weekend...

ZJChaser

Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Orange County, CA
I'll be there thursday too..lets see if we ca fiure something out......now that I think of it I might know know someone that has some say in Big Bear. I'll get a hold of them this week and see if they really do.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
W4S said:

Great thought - contact Bike Co , I'm sure they'll have some good ideas and can put aside some time for announcments/discussion.

When you consider the certain financial impact this edict will have on both TBB and the town, it might be a safe assumption that they thought about it before doing it. Maybe they haven't figured out how to implement it, but with the Forest Service PO'd about the trail-cutting and slope damage, and their insurance company threatening to pull all their coverage even after likely jacking their rates, I bet Team Big Bear are just trying to find a way to keep their operation in business.

Solutions might be a combination of public hangings for the idiots at Big Bear that design/build the lousy jumps and use rebar for course markers, mixed with even stronger liability waivers than they currently use, with a few beheadings of idiots that go off-trail to cut their own routes. Responsible behavior on all sides, plus Pay Per View revenue.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Ill be there and I said in a dif. board that mountain high is our only way out, or maybe snow valley? is that the one on the way to bear? but that mountain is a little bit small and not steep

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
EBasil said:
Solutions might be a combination of public hangings for the idiots at Big Bear that design/build the lousy jumps and use rebar for course markers, mixed with even stronger liability waivers than they currently use, with a few beheadings of idiots that go off-trail to cut their own routes. Responsible behavior on all sides, plus Pay Per View revenue.
Jumps are pretty much as lousy as the rider hitting them. If you're riding over your head and hit a jump too fast or incorrectly, how convenient is it to blame it on the course designer? As for the rebar issue, I'm pretty convinced that the way TBB does they're course markings is the best, why would they use the same methods at all the National venues if it were not safe(Same method is used at the Fontana races as well)?? It's not like it's a 6 goot long piece of rebar waiting to impail you, it's a small section hammered into the ground with a PVC pipe over it (designed to move easily if hit) I have seen 8 year olds pull them out of the ground. Ahhh, and the side trails, can't you just see all the destruction caused by them? I mean look at the forests..they're rotting!!!! Kinda like our deserts, I can't ride my motorcycle within 100 miles of my house for fear of killing some plant or something. And even the deserts are being roped and fenced off. But hey we're building houses like crazy!!! Anyway I'm pretty much distraught, this news has honestly struck me. Seems like all that is fun is being taken away :nopity:

I'll be there on the 16th to talk to my fellow racers and riders to hang out and watch some damn good footage form the man, Clay Porter. And if we do get support from a local resort, I will definitely volunteer as many hours as I can to make it as good or even better than my beloved Snow Summit WAS.

-ALF

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
great idea on volunteering, Man I would volunteer to build our trails, and I bet a 100 more people would, man a course made by racers for racers, now that would be fun!

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
What a joke. If it were truly this long in the making, how is it we're just now finding out about it? Seems like the rumor mill would've had something to say about it. How easy would it have been to address the complaints during this past season?

That's not the point. We're facing the loss of Big Bear. Next Thursday should be the perfect forum to discuss this matter with fellow riders. I would be more than happy to volunteer my time and effort should we find somewhere else.

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Monkeys -- I'm from all the way back east, but I see this as something that will affect DH racing and lift access throughout the nation.

And I'm bummed 'cause my younger brother lives real close to Big Bear. I'm gonna be doing a dh/freeride tour early next year and was looking forward to riding there and getting him off his XC bike.

I dunno, if we could get the manufacturers/promoters/governing bodies/riders/and all the associated communites involved, something positive will happen. Hell, maybe Big Bear could even be persuaded to change their minds. It's gonna be hard work and take a lot of effort, but it will certainly be worth it. I, for one, am down for doing whatever I can.

Let us know what comes of your meeting and how others can be of help.

Anyone got any ideas? Any Industry folks want to chime in?

aggh, this sucks.

dma528

Chimp
Jun 28, 2004
Central Coast
This sounds like a serious issue. Not only could it cause us to loose out use of Big Bear but also the use of lifts around the country as has been mentioned. I have seen a handful of XC courses lost in AZ, where I originally started riding, due to the same kind of situation. They didn’t have all that much of an impact because we would just find another location around the mountains. However how many chair lifts are there around the country that we can have access to<?> I am wishing/hoping that we can over come this, form the people that have spoken here it sounds that we can. We all need to stay strong and band together, that is the only that we can keep our riding ground.

The one thing that we have going for us is that there are no equestrians that use the slopes, if there were we would all be doomed<!>

Peace out

-Adam D.-

Oh I will be making the trip to Hennessey’s on the 6th form the SLO area so if anyone wants to tag along let me know<!!!> dma528@gmail.com

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
With the news of unhappy shareholders at SS, a solution is going to be tough. I don't want to rain on any parades but unless we can come up with 15+ million to put in this kids pocket I am not sure this problem is going to go away. But wtf, any excuse to throw a couple back and watch a bike vid sounds good...Oh yeah, if you are there W4S, I am going to kill you.