Quantcast

Some 06 Marz Roco info

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
cool but i still like the fox shox better, i just need a refview from someone that has had ridding time on it to tell me more sory

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
zmtber said:
cool but i still like the fox shox better, i just need a refview from someone that has had ridding time on it to tell me more sory
You still like Fox better despite needing to hear any information about this whatsoever? Way to draw a comparison...

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Interesting that they say that it can be rebuilt without special tools. Designed to be consumer-serviceable maybe? That'd be a first.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I very interested in getting more information. I have always been a Marzocchi man, so I have all the confidence in the world that their rear shock will be second to none...

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
toodles said:
Interesting that they say that it can be rebuilt without special tools. Designed to be consumer-serviceable maybe? That'd be a first.
nah its not a first is it? theyd still have to deal with the nitro charge no? and statos el jefes are "user servicable"

toodles said:
Now, all they need to do is supply a manual with the shock that's worth a crap. Something similar to the waste of paper Marz currently distributes with their forks won't cut it.

...Which brings up the question, if Marz is going to be willing to trust the end consumer with self-servicable shocks, why not follow suite with the fork line and go back to printing actually useful manuals? Though I love their products, it never quite set right with me that one reason they gave for the castration of their fork user docs was that they thought the average consumer a ham-handed moron, incapable of even safely changing the oil. They know people take their forks apart; I'd think they'd want supply accurate info on basic maintenance, rather than have people rely on incomplete and perhaps plain wrong instructions heard 2nd hand from the shop mechanic's younger brother. :rolleyes:

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
a novice mechanic is more likely to mess his forks up servicing them if the manuls crap than if the manuals good
if its a good manual then anyone should be able to perfrom the tasks descibed in it surely

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
MisterMental said:
nah its not a first is it? theyd still have to deal with the nitro charge no? and statos el jefes are "user servicable"
Well the shock does have an air chamber and since air consists of 78% nitrogen, this may very well nullify the need for a nitrogen charge.

C'mon BrianP, give us the skinny!

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
yeah but surely air instead of nitro would just feel like crap, a guy i know tunes moto trials shocks and he used air in a float and it felt like a saggy arse and he had to change the charge in it ever 2 or so weeks

Sep 10, 2001
I would give more info on the Roco, but I don't have all the techno info yet... Hell, I don't even have a Roco yet....

Brian

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Brian Peterson said:
I would give more info on the Roco, but I don't have all the techno info yet... Hell, I don't even have a Roco yet....

Brian
Well then speculate. Isn't that what this forum is for anyway :D

Sep 10, 2001
Well, all I really know right now is sizes that will be available, pricing, and that the people that have been riding the shock have been stocked... A lot of work has gone into that thing.

Brian

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
MisterMental said:
yeah but surely air instead of nitro would just feel like crap, a guy i know tunes moto trials shocks and he used air in a float and it felt like a saggy arse and he had to change the charge in it ever 2 or so weeks

Ahh whatever, I call BS on that. Nitrogen diffuses through rubber (and anything else) faster than air because of its smaller molecular size (thank you Toodles). And if you reckon you can "feel" the difference, I call BS again. No, don't bother to respond defending your opinion, I'm just letting you know that I think you're full of it. :)

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
thaflyinfatman said:
Ahh whatever, I call BS on that. Nitrogen diffuses through rubber (and anything else) faster than air because of its smaller molecular size (thank you Toodles). And if you reckon you can "feel" the difference, I call BS again. No, don't bother to respond defending your opinion, I'm just letting you know that I think you're full of it. :)
well thats how it was. simple as. hes pretty nifty with rear shock and so on so i you can call whatever you want, im not out to prove anything. and i dont really give a toss what anyone thinks so if you want to call bull**** then go ahead

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
If i remember right they many use Nitrogen in shocks cause it's inert and isen't effected by temp changes very much. Pretty much the same reasons they use it in tires.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
It's mainly used because it has a low coefficient of expansion when heated and more importantly because it is dry. Moisture in normal air makes the pressure increase faster as it is heated than "dry" air. I don't know how anyone could say they could "feel" the difference between a shock charged with air vs. one charged with nitrogen. The difference in properties would only become apparent under some pretty extreme use.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
thaflyinfatman said:
You are dead wrong. The N molecule is larger than that of oxygen, and it typically migrates 3-4 times SLOWER through a material such as rubber.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
ragin-sagin said:
You are dead wrong. The N molecule is larger than that of oxygen, and it typically migrates 3-4 times SLOWER through a material such as rubber.
Woops, you are correct. I was thinking of helium, sorry.

Sep 10, 2001
MSRP, $399... Six sizes will be available, but I don't have them all here at home.. I know there will be a 9.5X3...

Brian

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
geez all this speculation about user-serviceability and no one bothered to even look at the tech manual? (guess only the geeks do that....)

the only thing that seems user serviceable is the rebound/compression/preload on it, otherwise they have alot of "must be serviced by a Marz authorized dealer" icons in the troubleshooting area. It didnt even mention the air pressure settings in the manual but an adjustable range (180-225) is given in the webpage without saying what it adjusts (so yes mr.speculators, it is meant to take air and not nitro like all the other shocks these days).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
zedro said:
(so yes mr.speculators, it is meant to take air and not nitro like all the other shocks these days).
Like the fox DHX, 5th element, and Manitou Swinger that all use air and not nitro?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Brian Peterson said:
MSRP, $399... Six sizes will be available, but I don't have them all here at home.. I know there will be a 9.5X3...

Brian
What about a 8.75x2.75?

I was told at Whislter by the Zoke guys they will make every size and could even make a 11.25x3 for my Fly. Ill have to see that before I believe it.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
ragin-sagin said:
Eh? Nitrogen still has a smaller atomic mass and molecule size than the average of common atmospheric air. Oxygen doesn't make up the rest of the atmosphere... Anyway, the difference in that regard is so small as to not be of major consequence in a bicycle shock. which is why I was wondering how someone would "feel" the difference between a shock pressurized with air vs. one filled with nitrogen.

Don't suppose the Roco will have a remote version by any chance?

Sep 10, 2001
Kanter said:
What about a 8.75x2.75?

I was told at Whislter by the Zoke guys they will make every size and could even make a 11.25x3 for my Fly. Ill have to see that before I believe it.
Sizes will be as follows..
9.5x3
9x2.75
8.75x2.75
8.5x2.5
7.875x2
7.5x2

Yes, we could make something to make fit the Fly, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that... Unless Brent decides to make a spec change....

Brian

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
i phrased it wrong, it might have felt fine when hed just serviced it but the perfromance so to say deterioated much much faster than before

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
zedro said:
why not just get an Avy DHS 3.5? it comes in 11.25 and you can just shim the shaft 0.5" under the bumper.
The Avy 11.25x3 does fine. No need for a 3.5

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Awsome, another possibility for a new shock on the 7point... I wonder how DW Link will act with a non SPV shock.