Quantcast

Some advice?

Jabo

Chimp
Jul 18, 2005
Chehalis, WA
Alright... I have had a Giant warp DS1 for a couple years and I'm looking around for something a lot better. I've had fun with it, but I need something that can climb better, but still have full suspension. Some shops oddly enough were pushing hardtails on me even after I told them I don't want them.
Maybe it looks like I can't afford much.
This Giant is my beginner bike-so to speak-and I just want some opinions out there. My budget will roughly be in the $2000 range give or take.

Jabo

Chimp
Jul 18, 2005
Chehalis, WA
xc... singletrack... Long distances.
I just want a bike that can climb without having to resort to a hardtail.
Hardtails just aren't my thing.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Trail bikes are different than xc race rides. They are a little more durable and ride alittle heavier but can take alot more abuse. Sounds like you want an all day all mountain bike. The Prophet, the rush and the stumpjumper are three favorites.

Jabo

Chimp
Jul 18, 2005
Chehalis, WA
You hit the nail on the head. I couldn't say it better myself.
I test rode the stumpjumper in Portland, OR.... I'm not sure of the exact model, though. Unfortunately, it was only on the streets. I remember that the shifter was really quick on it, and very little pedal bob. It was roughly $1600 so I'm sure it was the base model.
All the other bikes I test rode were in Olympia at a little shop and I could only really ride it around the parking lot.
What is the "rush"?

BrandonWatts

Monkey
May 4, 2005
raymond, WA
sorry to post this here but i noticed you are from chehalis washington. i am from raymond washington but am living in scottsdale just for school. if you want to hook up and ride hit me up. o yeah the stumpjumper is a really nice bike

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Yeah, sounds like you want a fs bike with no pedal feedback. Giant NRS, Trance, Specialized Epics, all good. You'll probably find the Giants are priced and specced better. Cheaper Specializeds tend to have ****ty forks.

Jabo

Chimp
Jul 18, 2005
Chehalis, WA
I haven't test rode any new Giants yet. My friend is constantly pushing the Trek Liquid 25 on me too.
The Specialized had a Manitou Black fork on it. Was a hell of a lot more adjustable than mine now, so almost anything is good. I have Marzocchi forks but you need tools to adjust it. I think it is a 2002 exr. Not sure.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Jabo said:
I haven't test rode any new Giants yet. My friend is constantly pushing the Trek Liquid 25 on me too.
The Specialized had a Manitou Black fork on it. Was a hell of a lot more adjustable than mine now, so almost anything is good. I have Marzocchi forks but you need tools to adjust it. I think it is a 2002 exr. Not sure.
I don't think that the Liquid is a XC bike. Maybe the Trek Fuel.

Aug 16, 2005
Hello....I just found this site buy had to chip in because you and I are in the same situation. I have a 2001 Warp DS1....and I too am looking for a lighter performer. I have ridden a VT, NRS, and now a Trance. Without a doubt, the Trance 2 would fit your budget and provide an awesome bike for the $$$. XT componenets, Reba shock w/lockout, great crank....man this bike rules. It will be hard to feel the difference in the bike parking lot...but man does this bike feel smoooooooth.

Don't buy until you give this bike a chance. I don't think it weighs too much more than an NRS, and is certainly stronger!

Jabo

Chimp
Jul 18, 2005
Chehalis, WA
no... I haven't bought anything yet. I looked at the Fuel but, again, no time to test ride all these bikes. I will try the Fuel and the Trance next.
Stink, what have you done on your KONA that makes it so much better? What have you ridden in comparison?

mrmackey

Chimp
Sep 24, 2005
Giant makes affordable ,and well designed bikes, the transc is a good match for you. I would checkout Santa cruz blurs also, smart cycles in ct. has low priced build kits , cheaper than santa cruz themselves.Im not sure if they shio, worth a look.