Quantcast

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
If the gun had a red cap on the muzzle I wouldn't have given him the bike and I would have have beaten him down with a rock or something, knowing I wouldn't get shot.

The gun was a Beretta pistol, identical to this
Funny enough, I was held at gunpoint, except the kid holding the gun was on a bike.

It was dark out, and I considered that the gun might be a fake (although I lived in New Orleans, so I doubt that) or I could just have knocked the kid down since he was on a bike.

The only downside if I was wrong is I would have a bullet penetrate my skin, so I gave him my stuff.

Afterwards I heard plenty of stories about taking guns away, but since I am still telling my story, I will always think I did the right thing.

P.S. The cops caught a kid a few hours later. It was not the same kid, but I think it was the same bike.

psychodad

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
New York
I'm not trying to be a thread hijacker and I didn't get a gun in my face, but I did catch a bike thief red handed. Maybe it will make you feel a little better. I'm a very mellow person so this is pretty out of character for me.
I had my bike on a trunk rack, but I didn't have it locked. (I had lent my 2 locks to my friends who took their bikes to Cape Cod for a week.) I went into a supermarket after a ride and got all my stuff quick and walked by the front windows just to make sure my bike was still there. I looked out and saw someone taking my bike off the rack. I dropped my stuff and hightailed it out into the lot. My pulse rate was pounding and I was fuming, I got up the guy (actually a teenager), grabbed him by the back of the shirt, yanked him backwards and prepared to bash his face in. He went totally limp and crumpled as far down as he could go, till I was holding him up. (I'm 6' 200 lbs and not weak) I never laid a finger on him.
I dragged him into the supermarket, yelling at him the whole way, pushed him up and onto the bank counter and told the tellers to call the police. They just stared at me motionless till I raised my voice and ordered them to call the police.
Then I hear this nasty voice, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MY SON!!!"
I thought, "this is going to get real intersting now!"
Now there is a man and wife behind me and I start getting worried, especially because the man keeps trying to get behind me out of my vision. I thought I was going to cracked on the head. Thank God the store security manager came over. He identified himself and took the kid to his office. I went out and put my bike inside my car and the mother followed me out into the lot. She was screaming at me and I just totally ignored her and kept smiling at her. I was actually waiting for her to punch me, I thought for sure she was going to try. They came across to me as parents who would have been proud that their son had just stolen a $1700 mtb and gotten away with it. I don't know what the security mananger said to the kid, but when the cops came, the kid spilled his guts and admitted to trying to steal it. The cops couldn't believe that I actually wanted to press charges. The security manager was ecstatic that I was going to press charges. "People get stuff stolen from their cars here all the time and I have it on tape and noone will press charges."
I never found out what happened to the kid, but he obviously had been in trouble before because HIS "case worker" called me a few days later and was trying to get me to agree to probation. "The judge could just let him off you know". I didn't let her get any lame ass slap on the wrist for him.
He is lucky he didn't get pummeled and I was lucky that I didn't get any assault charges against me.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I've had a gun pulled on me three times in my life, twice in New Orleans.
Now, I carry a gun.

JonKranked makes a point I tend to agree with. Its a choice to be a victim, but its a calculated one. Sometimes it makes sense to stand your ground, sometimes you have to stand your ground, there is no choice, and sometimes you walk away to kill another day.

Would I agree that there is a chance that fighting for this bike would have gotten you killed? Absolutely. What you have to work out now, as it may happen again in your life, is what the price of your life, your safety, you sanity and your security is. That's a thing every man has to look inside and figure out, and there are no easy answers to that question.

Glad you're ok after the whole thing, but start thinking in the terms that the world isn't safe. If you travel alone, be on the look out, check your angles and people's body language, it will tell you a lot. If you can, travel in a group. People are a lot less likely to get hoppy with a group of guys in helmets and armor with the "We can throw down pretty well" scowl tattooed on your faces.

I look at it like this: If you're willing to stick a gun in my face, you had better kill me. I am not saying this to be big and bad, but that's my stance. If you're willing to kill me then I am more then willing to do the same to you.

Glad you're ok, watch your back for the next time.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I'm not trying to be a thread hijacker and I didn't get a gun in my face, but I did catch a bike thief red handed. Maybe it will make you feel a little better. I'm a very mellow person so this is pretty out of character for me.
I had my bike on a trunk rack, but I didn't have it locked. (I had lent my 2 locks to my friends who took their bikes to Cape Cod for a week.) I went into a supermarket after a ride and got all my stuff quick and walked by the front windows just to make sure my bike was still there. I looked out and saw someone taking my bike off the rack. I dropped my stuff and hightailed it out into the lot. My pulse rate was pounding and I was fuming, I got up the guy (actually a teenager), grabbed him by the back of the shirt, yanked him backwards and prepared to bash his face in. He went totally limp and crumpled as far down as he could go, till I was holding him up. (I'm 6' 200 lbs and not weak) I never laid a finger on him.
I dragged him into the supermarket, yelling at him the whole way, pushed him up and onto the bank counter and told the tellers to call the police. They just stared at me motionless till I raised my voice and ordered them to call the police.
Then I hear this nasty voice, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MY SON!!!"
I thought, "this is going to get real intersting now!"
Now there is a man and wife behind me and I start getting worried, especially because the man keeps trying to get behind me out of my vision. I thought I was going to cracked on the head. Thank God the store security manager came over. He identified himself and took the kid to his office. I went out and put my bike inside my car and the mother followed me out into the lot. She was screaming at me and I just totally ignored her and kept smiling at her. I was actually waiting for her to punch me, I thought for sure she was going to try. They came across to me as parents who would have been proud that their son had just stolen a $1700 mtb and gotten away with it. I don't know what the security mananger said to the kid, but when the cops came, the kid spilled his guts and admitted to trying to steal it. The cops couldn't believe that I actually wanted to press charges. The security manager was ecstatic that I was going to press charges. "People get stuff stolen from their cars here all the time and I have it on tape and noone will press charges."
I never found out what happened to the kid, but he obviously had been in trouble before because HIS "case worker" called me a few days later and was trying to get me to agree to probation. "The judge could just let him off you know". I didn't let her get any lame ass slap on the wrist for him.
He is lucky he didn't get pummeled and I was lucky that I didn't get any assault charges against me.

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
In middle school I caught somebody trying to steal my bike out from the cages.

I was walking to the cage to go get my bike and I saw somebody hunked down next to my bike, so I walk a bit quicker. I hear them smash the lock and he gets it off of the frame and picks up the bike, turns it near the exit, and starts to ride. I bolt over and meet him right as he's getting out of the cage. I met him with my shoulder, that is. Knocked him off the bike, grabbed the bike from him and pinned him down with the front tire. Campus staff came over pretty briskly (one of the teachers saw me tackle him) and took both of us in to the principal's office (at different times). I knew the kid pretty well and wasn't surpirsed at all when he claimed the bike was his, but little did he know I had it registered with the city. I gave my side to the story, showed my registration card, they verified it with the P.D., but they suspended me for 3 days for tackling him, saying I could have solved it peacefully.

Psh. As if I'd try to reason with a bike thief.

He ended up getting a two week suspension and tried to steal somebody else's bike when he came back, and got arrested. The little **** had it coming, too.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Wait, they suspended you for cracking skulls to protect your bike?!?!

WTF are they teaching kids in school these days.

You protect what is yours, it keeps society in line.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
the american public school system wants everyone to be a bunch of sissies.
I think if my kid got suspended for:
- Laying out someone stealing their bike.
- Standing up for themselves.
- Telling a teacher who much deserved it to "go **** themselves"
- Making out with a girl
- Streaking

that I would take the little bastard to Disneyland, or the nearest amusement/whore house of their choice.

We wonder why we're getting our asses kicked in the middle east. Its real simple, teaching kids not to stand up for themselves is how three out of four planes could have made it to their targets. One group stood up out of four, and this system of pasification via pussification has gotten way out of control.

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
Wait, they suspended you for cracking skulls to protect your bike?!?!

WTF are they teaching kids in school these days.

You protect what is yours, it keeps society in line.
Yep. Protecting a $350 investment (that's a lot for a BMX bike for a middle schooler) wherein the other party wasn't seriously injured (he was winded and had a bit of a rash on his shoulder where he hit the ground, but that was it) and getting suspended is stupid as ****.

A lot of people hated me in middle school and I had to stand up for myself a LOT. I ended up getting suspended almost every other week for something or another.

the american public school system wants everyone to be a bunch of sissies.
Yeah, and it's a shame. Protecting your property, or even yourself gets you in trouble. I've been suspended on a few occassions where the case was somebody tried to **** with me and I layed them out on the pavement. You'd think people would learn not to **** with a guy that resembles a tank, but you'd be wrong...

One time, even, this kid kept punching me in the back. Not like crazy hard, but in the same spot over and over and I had a bruise after the fact. Anywho, I turned to him after the fourth or fifth time and said "If you do that again, you will regret it." and turned back around. He did it again.

I ended up grabbing his arms and flipping him over my body and throwing him down onto the ground. The is the hardest hit I've ever done to somebody... his his got knocked pretty badly and he was in a full leg cast for three weeks. They had to send a firetruck and an ambulance to get him (although he was still concious, etc). I had to file a police report, etc. His parents didn't speak a lick of english, though, so no charges were pressed, thank god.

All because I defended myself.

Bull****, is what.

I think if my kid got suspended for:
- Laying out someone stealing their bike.
- Standing up for themselves.
- Telling a teacher who much deserved it to "go **** themselves"
- Making out with a girl
- Streaking

that I would take the little bastard to Disneyland, or the nearest amusement/whore house of their choice.

We wonder why we're getting our asses kicked in the middle east. Its real simple, teaching kids not to stand up for themselves is how three out of four planes could have made it to their targets. One group stood up out of four, and this system of pasification via pussification has gotten way out of control.

You sir, are an awesome parent, or will/would be.

I don't know about streaking but all of the others make sense. I've been suspended for the first three, too. While my parents didn't celebrate the occassion, they didn't punish me either, and once my mom actually ripped the principal a new one over it.

And I agree that American society is too gentle, loving and caring for it's own good. the fact of the matter is we're like a card house, blow at us too hard and we fall over. Not standing up for yourself because you think you'll get shot is one thing, and completely understandable. Self-preservation comes first. Not standing up for yourself because you don't want to get into trouble for doing the right thing (in before ****storm) is another.

tl;dr, this country needs to grow some balls

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, and it's a shame. Protecting your property, or even yourself gets you in trouble. I've been suspended on a few occassions where the case was somebody tried to **** with me and I layed them out on the pavement. You'd think people would learn not to **** with a guy that resembles a tank, but you'd be wrong...

And I agree that American society is too gentle, loving and caring for it's own good. the fact of the matter is we're like a card house, blow at us too hard and we fall over. Not standing up for yourself because you think you'll get shot is one thing, and completely understandable. Self-preservation comes first. Not standing up for yourself because you don't want to get into trouble for doing the right thing (in before ****storm) is another.

It's sadly ironic that this is the current societal status in a country which was founded on freedom and standing up for yourself and what you believe in. I'm sure that our forefathers are spinning in their graves at the fact that our country is mostly a nation of nancies.

DH'tillDeath

Chimp
Jun 23, 2008
Kanata, Ontario
FARKIN' YARRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got some of my bike back! The Sgt. doing my case made a house call and saw my bike's frame sitting there. Still attached were the cranks, chainguide, headset, shock and seat-post. :banana: :happydance: :biggrin:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Sucks about the bike but I'll take time to pass on what I learned when switching from home owners insurance to renters insurance for the condo. Renters insurance is cheap because it really covers very little, low caps on most everything that can be classified as recreational. I took out a rider that covers my computer, LCD TVs & bikes. The rider cost as much as the general policy but is far less expensive than replacing just one of the insured items.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
FARKIN' YARRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got some of my bike back! The Sgt. doing my case made a house call and saw my bike's frame sitting there. Still attached were the cranks, chainguide, headset, shock and seat-post. :banana: :happydance: :biggrin:
HELL YEAH!!!

Nice! :biggrin:

Glad to hear you got back most of your investment... what about the little d!ckless piece of sh!t with the gat? Did they get him?

glass

Chimp
May 26, 2008
Aubrey, TX
Too bad about the bike but it's even worse that he's hijacked your trails and all the hard work you guys have put into them. I'd definitely go back, just not alone.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Awesome. Is the guy getting charged with assault with a deadly weapon? He should get seriously hit for that in Canada, seeing as he used a handgun, right?

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Yep. Protecting a $350 investment (that's a lot for a BMX bike for a middle schooler) wherein the other party wasn't seriously injured (he was winded and had a bit of a rash on his shoulder where he hit the ground, but that was it) and getting suspended is stupid as ****.

A lot of people hated me in middle school and I had to stand up for myself a LOT. I ended up getting suspended almost every other week for something or another.

One time, even, this kid kept punching me in the back. Not like crazy hard, but in the same spot over and over and I had a bruise after the fact. Anywho, I turned to him after the fourth or fifth time and said "If you do that again, you will regret it." and turned back around. He did it again.

I ended up grabbing his arms and flipping him over my body and throwing him down onto the ground. The is the hardest hit I've ever done to somebody... his his got knocked pretty badly and he was in a full leg cast for three weeks. They had to send a firetruck and an ambulance to get him (although he was still concious, etc). I had to file a police report, etc. His parents didn't speak a lick of english, though, so no charges were pressed, thank god.

All because I defended myself.

Bull****, is what.

You sir, are an awesome parent, or will/would be.

I don't know about streaking but all of the others make sense. I've been suspended for the first three, too. While my parents didn't celebrate the occassion, they didn't punish me either, and once my mom actually ripped the principal a new one over it.

You sound like such a badass.. Who gives a **** if you look like a tank fat ass. Please dont come over here and kick my ass...Champ aka The TANK

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
It'd sure would be nice to get an update to this thread and hear the nasty little turd is now spending his Summer picking up soiled diapers and soda cans with a pointy stick along the highway...that or biting pillow while his cellmate blasts dat azz.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Better to find out this way than on a 15ft drop. Get it warrantied/crash replacement.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
I think Freight Train was made for Whistler when they opened up the upper Garbonzo A-line which was called Freight Train or something.

MTBracer

Monkey
Nov 19, 2007
Massachusetts
You said you only got the frame back? Plus some other major parts? Well what happened to the rest of it? And this kid had better be paying for the lost stuff too. I say make him pay for the cracked tube or whatever it takes to replace it, just to rub it in a little.