After:

1675914111785.png

Traction "rungs" I put in a few days ago:

1675914283782.png

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
They can barely run snowmachines on our straighter wider trails. They got no chance here. The snowdogs won't do it either and are too skinny in their normal state. There is a "doublewide" snowdog and what that needs is independently throttle-able tracks. Then we'd be getting somewhere and able to make tight turns.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
They can barely run snowmachines on our straighter wider trails. They got no chance here. The snowdogs won't do it either and are too skinny in their normal state. There is a "doublewide" snowdog and what that needs is independently throttle-able tracks. Then we'd be getting somewhere and able to make tight turns.
They use snowdogs around here but I find the best thing that helps is just riding the snow.

The snowdogs make the trail look nice and uniform but they don't seem to weigh enough to actually do much?

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
They use snowdogs around here but I find the best thing that helps is just riding the snow.

The snowdogs make the trail look nice and uniform but they don't seem to weigh enough to actually do much?
Right you are. Even a Tundra ski doo with a fancy compacting setup will not be as effective as snowshoe traffic. Our trails (snowshoes only) are rideable at the same time if not earlier than other networks that are spending ludicrous amount of time to machine work their Fatbike dedicated trails.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Right you are. Even a Tundra ski doo with a fancy compacting setup will not be as effective as snowshoe traffic. Our trails (snowshoes only) are rideable at the same time if not earlier than other networks that are spending ludicrous amount of time to machine work their Fatbike dedicated trails.
Snowshoes are a great combo of pressure and size. I'm running the Hok skis a lot more, but if you want them to put enough pressure down to make the trail ridable, you basically use them like snowshoes, baby-stepping/shuffling and so on. Unfortunately we get so many jackasses pot-holing with micro-spikes...like the ones I saw today skiing.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
They can barely run snowmachines on our straighter wider trails. They got no chance here.
hold my beer

I would totally make pedal trails for you. If a sled can fit between it, a sled can ridden through it.

Under me at least, doubt those AK boys know what trees are. Biggest downside in tight places would be the surface would end up a little lumpy from slowing and accelerating.

Since you're fine with narrow, a snowbike would be even better.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
hold my beer

I would totally make pedal trails for you. If a sled can fit between it, a sled can ridden through it.

Under me at least, doubt those AK boys know what trees are. Biggest downside in tight places would be the surface would end up a little lumpy from slowing and accelerating.

They can and do use snowmachines for pedal trails here…but those trails are wide and meh. Cant fit bike handlebars through the trees, unless you turn em a bit.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
hold my beer

Main problem we have is most of our trails are sidehill bench cut, 30 inches wide and less, and steep. People tried some snow dogs and after one pass they basically quit. One guy lost his s-dog down a chute and had to call a buddy to get it out. So the slowshoes prevails.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
We've had a metric ton of rain here and it just keeps raining. Got a little break today and headed out for some trailwork.

Before
IMG_3996.jpeg

after
IMG_3997.jpeg

Others

IMG_3995.jpeg
IMG_3994.jpeg

I call this one the "moat". It used to be eternally wet and mucky. Now it's eternally dry. I got the slope so it sheds into the trench. Around the corner it goes into a giant pit I dug.

IMG_3992.jpeg
IMG_3998.jpeg