Quantcast

Some crappy pics, but a great ride

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
To test my new Yeti out, I went to Falls City to ride on Saturday. It's a GREAT spot with tons of little stunts, jumps, drops, and ladders all strung together by a big fireroad climb and then singletrack that splits off it. There are go arounds to everything and it's all built really nicely. Fun stuff!

Anywho - this was my first slip over to the darkish side and I had a great time. I didn't do anything to over my head - I did a set of doubles (my first ever), and then just the little jumps built into some of the easier trail.

Here are some crappy pictures :)

Me going too fast for the camera :blah:

Derek on Bonzai Downhill

Stu on the road gap.

Linda after one of the drops in the practice area.

The bike...rides so smoothly! The climb gets pretty steep in places but even in the medium setting, the shock is very stable and the bike rides like an xc rice bike. On the downhill though, it rips!

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
that looks like so much fun! Oregon really does have the goods right now, in the next few years it should only progress, I gotta make it out there!

Seems like a number of folks have moved there.... must be the "spot"

J

JRB

Nice - it's funny seeing people with armour though. I don't ever see anyone. I really have to start building some stunts.

Could you tell Wumpus if that bike feels more like 5" or 6" of travel??? He seems to think that the 575 will be his perfect 5" bike. I assured him it would be his perfect 6" bike. :D

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
loco said:
Could you tell Wumpus if that bike feels more like 5" or 6" of travel??? He seems to think that the 575 will be his perfect 5" bike. I assured him it would be his perfect 6" bike. :D
Like I'd know???? I'm coming off 4 years of serioud xc race bikes! Shoot, this thing feels like a 9" bike to me.:p

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Awesome! I get so excited to see/hear about people loving their 575s because of how much I enjoy mine. It's an amazing bike that can handle tons of abuse considering how well it pedals and how (relatively speaking) light it is. Once you get it dialed in and find the sweet spot in the suspension it rides like a dream because it can do sooo much.

J

JRB

Heidi said:
Like I'd know???? I'm coming off 4 years of serioud xc race bikes! Shoot, this thing feels like a 9" bike to me.:p
It was really a poke at him, as I taught him a lesson about rounding yesterday. I stood there talking all seriously for a few minutes, when I said, "wait, that's like 6" of travel". It was the first time ever that Wumpus didn't argue.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
nice heidi!! glad you like the bike.
btw your trails always look like what i would think a mountain bike wonderland would look like

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
wait, thats what your trails look like and you've been riding XC bikes for the last few years? am i missing somthing here? that's fr heaven! why not get a light 7" rig?
can a 575 realy handle that road gap?

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
spacemanspiff06 said:
wait, thats what your trails look like and you've been riding XC bikes for the last few years? am i missing somthing here? that's fr heaven! why not get a light 7" rig?
can a 575 realy handle that road gap?
Well, for the last few years I have been hardcore into xc racing and never tried this type of riding. Those type of trails aren't in Bend....yet. :) Oh, and I couldn't handle a road gap! If I ever got to that level, I would get a bigger bike.

And SK6 - I'm a TOTAL beer snob.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Oh by the way, these trails are all legitamate. Freeride can be totally legal if the time is taken to do it right.

Just wanted to throw that out there.....

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I would do anything to have that stuff in my back yard. I agree with the comments about Oregon having the goods, seems the "shore" is moving south of the border...That area is one of the only places in the US where they have the terrain to build like that...

Heidi, i suspect you will be losing the float front fork in favor of a :drool: worthy 36 Talas soon!

Keep the pics coming :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Skookum said:
Oh by the way, these trails are all legitamate. Freeride can be totally legal if the time is taken to do it right.

Just wanted to throw that out there.....
where are they? looks too lush to be close to Bend...Hood River area maybe?

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
narlus said:
where are they? looks too lush to be close to Bend...Hood River area maybe?
Here ya go!

The place is so well built, it is crazy! The Blackrock guys are super cool & always welcome people to their trails, which, as mentioned above, are all legally built, with signs! The best part is they have trails & stunts for every level of rider, from very small drops, to a 30' log ride leading into a 10' tall, vertical wall ride, to supre nice road gaps:) (that's me hitting the gap, funnnnn stuff!!!!)

http://blackrockfreeride.org/mx/index.php

Cheers!

Stu

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
That place looks fun! Nice 575 you got there! The folks at Yeti waited until just after I bought mine to make it available in the team colors. The bastards. Oh well, I like my black ano well enough. Even better now that its in stealth mode...

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Heidi said:
Well, for the last few years I have been hardcore into xc racing and never tried this type of riding. Those type of trails aren't in Bend....yet. :) Oh, and I couldn't handle a road gap! If I ever got to that level, I would get a bigger bike.

And SK6 - I'm a TOTAL beer snob.
Excellent! :thumb:

Once you do the road gap, you truly will be hooked, they are SO much fun! :thumb: