Quantcast

Some dick fixie rider vandalized my car

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I take the whole lane in those situations. And at lights. Every time.

Mr. Peach would have never thought of passing me, because I would have been right in the middle of the lane in front of him. With my brakes...
with that attitude I'd make sure to run into you and your trike, intentionally of course, just to match your e-toughguy nobody would think of passing me mentality.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
with that attitude I'd make sure to run into you and your trike, intentionally of course, just to match your e-toughguy nobody would think of passing me mentality.
So you'd run a cyclist over as he's making a right hand turn just to prove...what exactly?

My point about taking the lane is that most people (like Da Peach) wouldn't think of intentionally running you down, but that if you're at the curb approaching a corner, your chances of getting pinched go way up. I didn't account for psychopaths like yourself, the same way I don't worry about getting hijacked when I fly...it's not something I have any control over, unfortunately.

Maybe I should clarify, to help clean the sand out of your vagina, because I might have been a little unclear. If I'm turning right in 90 feet, I'm taking the lane and signaling. If there is a car in front of me turning right and I'm going straight, I'm taking the lane as well getting behind the car turning right and slowing down, because I don't want a driver to gun it past me and slam on the brakes in front of me to make a right, pinching me.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
getting behind the car turning right and slowing down, because I don't want a driver to gun it past me and slam on the brakes in front of me to make a right, pinching me.
sounds like a sensible thing to do. Then do you have a hissy fit and attack the cars around you?

Thought not.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
what side of the road do you drive on up there?
that would make the story a little more clear to me.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
sounds like a sensible thing to do. Then do you have a hissy fit and attack the cars around you?

Thought not.
Unless the guy was going really slow, like 400 pounds with heart condition and a flat tire slow, you cut the guy off. I've banged windows and yelled at people before for doing what you did.

Or, in case you haven't been reading, just because he's a fixie douchebag doesn't mean you're not a jerk driver...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I almost deaded a roadie last night. Going from curb across three lanes to the left turn lane. Totally dark at 9pm, no cars on the road, checked for lights and went. It wasn't until I was 90% in the turn lane did I hear the guy yelling at me. No helmet, no lights, no reflectors on the busiest street in SF. He proceeded to yell and swear, right of lane, yadda yadda.
Would I have felt bad if I had hit him? Yes.
Would I have made sure that the police cited him for lack of lighting? Yes.
Would Imake sure that he didn't see a penny if he tried to sue? Yes, and I would counter sue for operating an unsafe vehicle.
If you want the rights of a vehicle, act like one. Use lights and reflectors. Also a helmet. Seriously, why don't people wear helmets? If you can afford a $8k Pinarello, you can afford a f*in helmet.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Unless the guy was going really slow, like 400 pounds with heart condition and a flat tire slow, you cut the guy off. I've banged windows and yelled at people before for doing what you did.

Or, in case you haven't been reading, just because he's a fixie douchebag doesn't mean you're not a jerk driver...
I guess you missed the part about the other car to my left.

But I get that you just want to call me a bad driver. Fine. In that case, you're the champion for hipster douches everywhere. I'm sure they'll wax their ironic mustaches, and think of you with great fondness.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
So you'd run a cyclist over as he's making a right hand turn just to prove...what exactly?

My point about taking the lane is that most people (like Da Peach) wouldn't think of intentionally running you down, but that if you're at the curb approaching a corner, your chances of getting pinched go way up. I didn't account for psychopaths like yourself, the same way I don't worry about getting hijacked when I fly...it's not something I have any control over, unfortunately.

Maybe I should clarify, to help clean the sand out of your vagina, because I might have been a little unclear. If I'm turning right in 90 feet, I'm taking the lane and signaling. If there is a car in front of me turning right and I'm going straight, I'm taking the lane as well getting behind the car turning right and slowing down, because I don't want a driver to gun it past me and slam on the brakes in front of me to make a right, pinching me.
Maybe I should ask, who's the one with sand in their vagina?

You made a tough guy comment stating nobody would try to pass you, I read that and came to the conclusion that you, an average sized cyclist was going to try and play a game of chicken with a an average sized car, simply because you wanted to prove you owned as much of the road as the car did, I've been hit by a car, no fault of my own, and the car won. I'd venture a guess you would have the same fate.

Yes I am a psychopath, I made a comment in jest on the internet about your tough guy attitude. Go ahead and take the lane, hopefully you'll be seen and the driver will be courteous enough to allow you to keep the lane. But don't be surprised when thats not the way that it works.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I guess you missed the part about the other car to my left.

But I get that you just want to call me a bad driver. Fine. In that case, you're the champion for hipster douches everywhere. I'm sure they'll wax their ironic mustaches, and think of you with great fondness.
This morning on my way to work, I passed a fixie douche courier about 30 yards before an intersection. I had to turn right. I slowed down to take the corner , and had to swerve to the right a bit to avoid a car to my left. I make my right turn and proceed. I stop at the next intersection.

The bold part is the problem. The fact that you juked even further into fixie douchebag's space because of another crappy driver is secondary.

I'm starting to think that you might have gotten the looks and your brother got the brains...

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Silver I get the impression that when you ride your bike you think everyone should watch out for you, though in reality regardless of whether you are right or wrong, Car>bike in every accident.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Silver I get the impression that when you ride your bike you think everyone should watch out for you, though in reality regardless of whether you are right or wrong, Car>bike in every accident.
Definitely not.

I'm well aware that a bike loses. That's why I'd rather put myself in a position where someone will see me and have to intentionally run me down instead of hugging the curb and getting pinched by an inattentive driver.

FWIW, I also don't run red lights, I signal, I don't ride at night or even dawn or dusk, and I don't ride in groups filled with large amounts of idiots who think they are in a peloton on a closed race course.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I agree on putting yourself in position to be seen, but accidents still happen and I don't think the original poster intended to have to swerve around another car and cut the biker off, it's possible he had plenty of room/time to get around him until the other driver cut him off....

1. Biker should not hit someones car just because he did not like what said someone did
2. Biker should have brakes
3. Biker is technically entitled to his portion of the road
4. I ride at dusk, night, and don't technically obey the traffic signals, but I live in a small town and skip from sidewalk to road and back often and do not expect cars to watch out for me, I take my own risks.
5. damnit I hate those people that think 20 bikes can just take up a whole lane and go whatever speed they want as if they are in the tour de france and the rest of us shouldnt pass them.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I take the whole lane in those situations. And at lights. Every time.
I also do this. Its a matter of being seen, or in places where the shoulder is non existent on my commute it discourages a-holes from trying to squeeze in between my self and traffic.

....and you need a new car. That one is cursed.
A reliable chick magnet like your Jeep is totally what he needs. :rolleyes:

It's really snowing quite hard here right now.

:D
:stupid: How much snow are you getting in Denver? Got a couple inches here in the springs already.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
kickstand said:
I agree on putting yourself in position to be seen, but accidents still happen and I don't think the original poster intended to have to swerve around another car and cut the biker off, it's possible he had plenty of room/time to get around him until the other driver cut him off....
If the rider is going 15 mph, that means that he is going to have to stop in about 4 seconds at 30 yards, plus he's going to have to try not to hit by the driver swerving even more into his lane. At 20 mph it's 3 seconds, which is getting into full panic stop territory on my road bike. Also note that is not accounting for reaction times at all.

Even with brakes, that's too close for comfort. A little bit of gravel on the road and you're in a for a bad day. All because DaPeach had to get his venti non-fat extra foam 2 shots of hazelnut latte on the way into work..

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

1. Biker should not hit someones car just because he did not like what said someone did
2. Biker should have brakes
3. Biker is technically entitled to his portion of the road
4. I ride at dusk, night, and don't technically obey the traffic signals, but I live in a small town and skip from sidewalk to road and back often and do not expect cars to watch out for me, I take my own risks.
5. damnit I hate those people that think 20 bikes can just take up a whole lane and go whatever speed they want as if they are in the tour de france and the rest of us shouldnt pass them.
It comes back to two things:

If I was on a bike, I would be expecting some jackass to make a sketch turn in front of me. And if it was a weird intersection, I definitely would be making it hard for anyone to pass me, or at least be as visible possible.

And let's be honest: the level of asshattery is much much higher on a bicycle. On a motobike, I am working extremely hard not to be non-reactive to everything.

A driver did a sketchy merge in front of me, and I split past her accerlerating to 100. About a half minute later, she was able to catch up to me because I slowed down and traffic opened up.

Even going a paltry 75mph, I could have been taken out even without contact.

I thought about booting her vehicle, but I just gave her the finger and eventually traffic backed up and I was gone.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I annoint this thread Pinkbike status. Granted pinkbikers don't type in paragraph form or break out the bullet points like you guys...but status achieved none the less.
OP getting his car messed with, well not much you can do about that.

But bicycle safety and driving safely around bicyclists is something important to discuss.

Or you too cool to give a damn?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
OP getting his car messed with, well not much you can do about that.

But bicycle safety and driving safely around bicyclists is something important to discuss.

Or you too cool to give a damn?
Ask my riding buds, I'm far from cool. And you may have noticed, I've been slammed twice by cars in the last year. Once, unintentional and no harm done, the other through just dumb ignorance and a nightmarish claim with his insurer after he did some whacky lying that back fired on him.

I've bike commuted tons over the past 10+ years and I see both sides, but I'm most definitively on the side of bikes who obey the rules. I even got called out inadvertantly by a fellow member of my class at church.

I had sat at a back country side road waiting for the light to change for several minutes. It's a pressure sensitive pavement square. Sometimes, if I balance just right rolling up I can weight it enough to trip the light. This time I couldn't and it was near dusk. Nobody came up behind me to trip it.

I waited for traffic to clear (long 2 lane, rural straightaway) and pulled out. Bright red LED flashing and all. He comes into sight as I'm pulling out and told me he was blown away by how fast I was going by the time he caught me and came around. His passenger was only pissed that I didn't obey a traffic law and had turned on red and harped on it for some time after me and the other guy had waved at one another.

This whole situation with Da Peach is a muddled mess and none of us know the whole story. 30 yards may or may not have been an exaggerated distance so Da Peach may or may not have been out of line. He dodged a weaving car to be safe after "possibly" making a poor choice against the bike. Or he may have been doing great. I'd hate to be the cop figuring this one out.

The fixie is just a plain old idiot for crushing dude's taillight and accomplished nothing except anarchy and ill will. If it weren't Da Peach, he could have signed the death warrant of the next cyclist to cross the drivers path! I've been almost murdered by cars and retaliated. But afterwards, my mind burned on whether or not that car was going to take out their anger on the next (if not several) rider(s).

To me, riding a fixed gear bike in any city environment is just idiotic. I've ridden a fixie beach cruiser in a gated resort in Charleston and nearly died. I think the one guy was right. No brakes is improper equipment. Plus, if car is already PAST you...how do you NOT avoid it. I've never once been behind a car and not been able to react to it's movements safely. So, in the end, I lean toward Da Peach for being in the right.

If he's pulled a quickie on the bike guy, bike guy can yell, cuss and wag digits and appendages at the driver. But in no way should the bike put himself in a position to not stay out of trouble in this instance, let alone incite more violence against his own kind.

How's that?:wave:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
If it weren't Da Peach, he could have signed the death warrant of the next cyclist to cross the drivers path!
Quoted for truth. I try to refrain from flipping people off, or yelling because the next time they see a cyclist they'll think of that incident and may run them off the road.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
You're driving in the city and cut off a belligerent messenger.

Grow a pair. It's part of driving in a metropolis.

I've maliciously damaged more than a few cars, but usually only after contact.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
You sound a little too much like that Thompson guy on trial in L.A.

I just don't see how you were justified in passing someone 30 yards from a turn unless they were barely moving. Did you have to accelerate to get by? Were you gunning for a green light? Even if you were going fast enough to pass you knew (or should have known) you would need to slow down pretty much as soon as you passed, so going around the guy was stupid and dangerous (not to mention inconsiderate). Sounds like it would have taken about five seconds out of your day to just wait 'til you got to the intersection behind the cyclist.

Doesn't matter what the guy was riding. Maybe he was a decent rider and you're lucky he didn't crash.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Fact is, both Da Peach and I may be slightly more aggressive in traffic than the average person. ESPECIALLY the average west coast person. This is possibly due to our short stature and we are over-compensating, but more likley it's due to having learned to drive in La Belle Province.

So even if he did pull what some may call an asshole move, the hipster, "assaulted" a car with a bike rack on the roof. Jackass could have MAYBE given the benefit of the doubt that the whole episode was accidental, and NOT an aggressive move to take out a cyclist?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I almost deaded a roadie last night. Going from curb across three lanes to the left turn lane. Totally dark at 9pm, no cars on the road, checked for lights and went. It wasn't until I was 90% in the turn lane did I hear the guy yelling at me. No helmet, no lights, no reflectors on the busiest street in SF. He proceeded to yell and swear, right of lane, yadda yadda.
Would I have felt bad if I had hit him? Yes.
Would I have made sure that the police cited him for lack of lighting? Yes.
Would Imake sure that he didn't see a penny if he tried to sue? Yes, and I would counter sue for operating an unsafe vehicle.
If you want the rights of a vehicle, act like one. Use lights and reflectors. Also a helmet. Seriously, why don't people wear helmets? If you can afford a $8k Pinarello, you can afford a f*in helmet.

:bonk: