Quantcast

Some hopeless romantic help...

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Well, I have always been one to think of very creative gift ideas for the lady in my life. This lady could possibly be the one I want to keep around forever, and I am only using the best of the best ideas as a result. So on to my idea. Her dream is to step foot on each continent. This isn't such a hard thing to realize since she has her whole life ahead of her. But she is afraid that if she doesn't do it while she is young then she will never be able to...

So as at least a stepping stone for her, I was going to do this for her birthday (which is a few months off). I would somehow get some soil from each continent and put it in our soon to be garden, in sections. I would bring her out to it and have her walk over it a few times. Then I would explain to her that she had just stepped foot on each continent at least once. So if she doesn't get to later she can at least say she had when she was young.

And there is the issue, how on Earth (pun intended) would I get a little bit of soil from each continent. Also trying to figure out what to do about Antarctica.

So that's my idea. Discuss...

I am already expecting the dirt cheap jokes, and what a great boyfriend getting her dirt... go ahead and get it out of your systems :disgust1:

Thanks monkeys

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
To be less of a smartass, I think it's a pretty cool idea. That said, I have absolutely no idea how you'd pull it off.

One thought is that it might be cool to put each continent's dirt between some pitched stones or something, so that it stays separate, rather than just throwing it down on the walkway. Not really sure what you had in mind there.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
If you are actually wanting enough dirt from each continent for her to actually stand on, you are asking for a lot of dirt.

I could send you some from Europe, but it won't be that much. I could send about half a cupful if you like? Realistically to sneak soil past customs it probably couldn't be more...

At least that should get the ball rolling. There are enough monkies from around the world to help you out anyway...

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Like Damo said, I think the big issue would be getting the soil through customs...and getting more than a small amount. However, if you can figure out the legal side of things I could send a bit from Australia...

Small, clean rocks might be easier with respect to customs clearance and all, but getting more than a few pieces of gravel might be cost prohibitive.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
This would be like telling her you want a certain new bike. Then she hands you an ad she cut out from a magazine. Yeah it great she listened, flipped through a bunch and took the time to figure out what it was, youd find it funny while she might think your mocking her.

Just buy some tickets to South America to start, your dollars will buy a lot of loot.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Here's another thought.... if you're good with cooking and such, find some really good recipes/meals/cuisine from countries on every continent, and cook one for her every night for a week. Idk what you'd do about Antarctica, raw fish is sushi and that's more of an Asian thing, and penguin meat is kinda hard to come by.

if you're not good at cooking, start practicing.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Cool idea, but I don't have a clue how you'd get soil through customs. Border patrol has a fit when we come through with muddy bikes (between Canada & US) and has been know to make people clean them and come back through. Not sure what your price range is, but how about planning a trip to one of her continents and putting together a a book or world map for her to put a picture, date, info into to keep track of her travels?

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
And there is the issue, how on Earth (pun intended) would I get a little bit of soil from each continent. Also trying to figure out what to do about Antarctica.

Thanks monkeys
I may be able to help you out here. Gotta check with my people though. It may just be volcanic rock, would that be ok?

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Yeah, that is what I was thinking would be the most difficult: getting the dirt here. I am sure I could find someone from each continent to send dirt to me. It wouldn't have to be a lot of dirt, probably less than a cubic foot. The dirt would be in small sections on the walkway.

I am pretty good at cooking, and I had thought about making her a favorite dish from each continent. It requires some more thought to be sure, but I greatly appreciate everyone's input.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
[interrupting hijack]Some states are worse than others but moving soil around is really frowned upon. When I worked for a nursery(TX), we had a truckload of plants held at the Arizona border until we could get a fire ant inspection -- the plants weren't going to anywhere in Arizona, they were just passing thru the state.[/resume hijack]

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Yes that would be fantastic! I was just thinking that getting rocks past customs would be a fair bit easier than soil.
I can get it but they wont arrive here until August (next rotation of firefighters). If i had known about 1 week ago, Ide have them in my hand today.

Hope this helps.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Since you can't get dirt through customs, why not make the areas of the walkway the shape of each continent.

And cooking for her is a great idea. The national dish of Canada is Baked Helicopter Designer. You might be able to gather ingredients from this forum...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
It would just be easier if you got regular local dirt and just TELL her that it from all over the place. Hell, give her a rock too and tell her it's from the moon.
the voice of reason.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Hey, if you want to let her walk on some foreign dirt, let me be of some help.

Get her some spiked heel stripper boots, and I'll let your lady walk all over me. I'm foreign, I smell funny, I have a thing for strange sexual acts, and I have been to every continent.

Really, I'm doing you the favor here.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Well, I have always been one to think of very creative gift ideas for the lady in my life. This lady could possibly be the one I want to keep around forever, and I am only using the best of the best ideas as a result. So on to my idea. Her dream is to step foot on each continent. This isn't such a hard thing to realize since she has her whole life ahead of her. But she is afraid that if she doesn't do it while she is young then she will never be able to...

So as at least a stepping stone for her, I was going to do this for her birthday (which is a few months off). I would somehow get some soil from each continent and put it in our soon to be garden, in sections. I would bring her out to it and have her walk over it a few times. Then I would explain to her that she had just stepped foot on each continent at least once. So if she doesn't get to later she can at least say she had when she was young.

So that's my idea. Discuss...

I am already expecting the dirt cheap jokes, and what a great boyfriend getting her dirt... go ahead and get it out of your systems :disgust1:

Thanks monkeys
If you thought about this one month earlier I could have had my friend that was working in Antarctica get some soil for you. Now she won't be going back for at least 6 months. I can have her get ahold of some of her co-workers if they are still down there to do it.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Wow thank you everyone for your input, ridemonkey wouldn't load for me for the past few days. I will definitely be in touch with those of you who said you could get me at least something, be it a rock or soil. Thank you all very much!

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Overall an excellent idea, though the dirt shipping could be customs tricky. The flowers from each continent could work. Or what about sand for each continents' coastline? I've done that a couple of times (have sand from Lake Tahoe, Hawaii, Mexico, and New Zealand) and have it in a very special place. Maybe that wouldn't be so sticky with customs? Just another thought......

Last edited: