Quantcast

Some knee advice from fellow riders?

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
So I've had a couple torn muscles in my right knee, nothing too major. My left knee however has been crashed on several times and put me off the bike for a few weeks in the past. But each time I have had a knee injury, it could usually be tied to something, like a crash, or a sketchy landing. I was riding park a few weeks ago, and towards the end of the 4 hour session, my right knee (the good one), started to become a bit tight and painful when I straightened it.

I hadn't crashed all day, the only time I was straightening my knees was when I was trying to keep my front wheel in the air in a manual. It was really sore the rest of that night on through the next day.The pain was coming from directly behind my knee, right above the calf, each time my leg was extended, or when my knee was completely bent. So I stretched a bit and put a heating pad on it. The next day it felt better. After about 5 days it felt fine so I hopped back on the bike for a quick little park session, and boom it started hurting again. I haven't ridden since, (about a week and a half ago), but it is still as sore as it was the day after it started. I did some research and the location of the pain matches up to a hyper-extended knee, but there hasn't been any swelling. The only other symptom besides that is sometimes when my knee is fully straightened, it feels almost locked and for a split second it doesn't want to unlock. Usually when I lean over something and try to bend my knee. I am not totally worried because it's not excruciating pain, more like burning muscle pain. It is just lasting a bit longer than a simple pulled muscle. So any advice would be nice, thanks monkeys.

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
One of the most overlooked things in these type of injuries is hydration. Make sure to drink plenty of water all day, every day- Not just when you are riding. It sounds like you are adequately stretching, but maybe some light weight-training could help. Maybe start with unweighted deep knee bends and lots of stretching, then add some weight.
If all else fails then rest it, I know it sucks not being able to ride for a few days, but it's better than the alternative.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Has it crossed your mind to see a doctor rather than rely on e-opinions? I know, crazy advice right there.
lol Well luckily, my mother is a doctor, and she says I probably just pulled something. I wanted other riders opinions in case someone else has had a similar thing happen.

The hydration makes sense, may have been a bit dehydrated at days end on that ride. I'll drink a bit more water. Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
R.I.C.E.
Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate

Also, beware of certain anti-inflamatory drugs, including advil, known as NSAIDs, which will make you feel better but can prevent healing. Hit some google for more info.