Quantcast

Some New Bike Bits:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I was fooling around w/ the camera taking pics of my almost completed bike's parts. Just thought Id post a few up since a few parts are a bit blingy.

Sram PG990

mmmm...gel...

notice the beer opener on teh disc tab!:)

Im just waiting on my XTR cranks now. Should be in by Tuesday or Wednesday. Then you'll get some full pics on the trail.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Changleen said:
Enjoying those brakes?
Not yet. I had a set of Shimano Deore Hydros that I sold to a dude on this site. They were the best brakes I ever had. Never needed to be bled, always felt great, didnt fade... So I figure Id go up to some LX's since they share the same single piston design and all. Couldnt hurt.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Grease the f**k out of those clamping bolts on the Thomson. I just had to destroy a Thomson and drill out the bolts because they were frozen so badly that the bolt totally rounded out when I tried to unscrew it.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Even with a buttload of antisieze lube my Thomson always creaked a bit when I loosened it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BurlyShirley said:
I did. Ive heard one too many horror stories about the bolts siezing.
I'm incredibly anal about maintaining my bike, greasing everything, making sure everything runs smoothly... and if I ever get another Thomson stem, I'm going to remove all the bolts and regrease them every 3 months :dead:

Enjoy your parts, though!

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
BurlyShirley said:
Not yet. I had a set of Shimano Deore Hydros that I sold to a dude on this site. They were the best brakes I ever had. Never needed to be bled, always felt great, didnt fade... So I figure Id go up to some LX's since they share the same single piston design and all. Couldnt hurt.

The deores I have on my DH bike are the tits. I have never had to bleed them after 3 years and I've only had to change pads once

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
binary visions said:
I'm incredibly anal about maintaining my bike, greasing everything, making sure everything runs smoothly... and if I ever get another Thomson stem, I'm going to remove all the bolts and regrease them every 3 months
There is an easier way, just replace them with silver bolts and paint the heads of the bolts black, then a quick dab of grease is all that you will ever need. The silver stems that come with silver bolts never seem to have the stuck bolt issue.

Burly the rig is looking good! So you going to have a ride report by the end of the week?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
binary visions said:
Grease the f**k out of those clamping bolts on the Thomson. I just had to destroy a Thomson and drill out the bolts because they were frozen so badly that the bolt totally rounded out when I tried to unscrew it.
Got the same problem here. Haven't tried to extract it yet. And they WERE greased to hell.

Why do they use those awful, sticky bolts with soft alloy heads?? That pain in your hand as it winds up and snaps free as you turn the allen key is one of the most awful feelings in wrenching, ever...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
maxyedor said:
There is an easier way, just replace them with silver bolts and paint the heads of the bolts black, then a quick dab of grease is all that you will ever need. The silver stems that come with silver bolts never seem to have the stuck bolt issue.

Burly the rig is looking good! So you going to have a ride report by the end of the week?
Yeah, should be Thurs. or Fri.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
binary visions said:
I'm incredibly anal about maintaining my bike, greasing everything, making sure everything runs smoothly... and if I ever get another Thomson stem, I'm going to remove all the bolts and regrease them every 3 months :dead:

Enjoy your parts, though!
I had the same issue. A frozen bolt lead to one snapped allen wrench, and one twisted hex socket. Finally had to drill the damn thing out.

Got some replacements and put anti-seize on them. I have yet to have any problems since I did that.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Polandspring88 said:
I had the same issue. A frozen bolt lead to one snapped allen wrench, and one twisted hex socket.
My nice, long T-handle Pedros wrenches didn't bend or snap... the entire interior of the bolt simply turned circular after I got enough pressure on it :dead:.

A testament to the strength of the wrenches, for sure, but not the desired result ;)