Quantcast

Some New DH Bikes

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/polygon-xquarone-dh-first-ride.html

Polygon looks...ehhh? What patents were they trying to get around with that setup, DW?

Edit: apparently bikeradar broke one on the first ride. And not just a preproduction model, just a straight up new one. Seems promising.
MK at PB only got a couple laps in before ending up on the injured reserve list. He never mentioned why.

I keep waiting for a comprehensive test of any of the bikes with this suspension.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
MK at PB only got a couple laps in before ending up on the injured reserve list. He never mentioned why.

I keep waiting for a comprehensive test of any of the bikes with this suspension.
i've ridden the marin. it's "interesting". puts down the power well, sure, but the rear end was quite flexy laterally. actually the wiggliest modern bike i've ridden; not exactly confidence inspiring when pushed hard at speed. hopefully the dh chassis is considerably stiffer (i see it uses shorter bottom swing links), otherwise i feel bad for the hannahs.

also, seems like the "needs little to no damping" is a bit wank. the shock has a super light damping tune, but i had to crank in a bunch of clicks to keep the thing from feeling like a jolly jumper.

a solid "meh" in general.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Flexxy you say, supported by a big round slidy "bearing" you say...??? :hmm:

Can't see it, nope, just can't see it. :nerd:
i'm willing to give out of the box designs the benefit of the doubt, but starting with an inherently flexy layout (that side loads the crap out of the shock; those seals will not live a long happy life), and adding a proprietary friction adding wear component, kinda stacks the deck against you.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
brazed joints; looks fine to me. not going to get the "stack of dimes" appearance of a tig weld.
You'd have to buy a painted one just to hide the brazing, they need to be more like Curtis frames if they want to have a raw frame.
Curtis-Bikes-XR650-Brace-1704x1136.jpg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There was for sure already an alu Tues. I think what they are saying is that they released the new updated alu model to go along with the new carboner bike.
that was my understanding as well. the original tues was replaced with an updated version that was also carbon, now there's an alu version of the updated design

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
that was my understanding as well
I know there was an alu of the previous gen since I had to physically restrain myself with zip ties and old pedal straps at the end of last year when they were giving them away for less that $3000. I was so close to buying one.

Also according to the article LaCondGuy's Rampage winning bike from 2014 was an alu Tues.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Canyon Sender carbon, Fox 40, X2 Zee build for $3799, Has to be one of the best values out there

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Canyon Sender carbon, Fox 40, X2 Zee build for $3799, Has to be one of the best values out there
Unless you don't like frames that develop play and a local representative tells you it's a feature like he did to my friend. In most cases you just need to tighten them up a bit too often so it's ok but jesus I'd be annoyed if I had to do it on a 4k bike. (Though at least it's cheaper than Evil)

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i've ridden the marin. it's "interesting". puts down the power well, sure, but the rear end was quite flexy laterally. actually the wiggliest modern bike i've ridden; not exactly confidence inspiring when pushed hard at speed. hopefully the dh chassis is considerably stiffer (i see it uses shorter bottom swing links), otherwise i feel bad for the hannahs.

also, seems like the "needs little to no damping" is a bit wank. the shock has a super light damping tune, but i had to crank in a bunch of clicks to keep the thing from feeling like a jolly jumper.

a solid "meh" in general.
Right? Anyone who puts out this BS should be punched in the face. Yeah it might pedal well, but having some damn chassis stability, resistance to g-outs and loading, etc., is helpful and should come on any bike. I'm so fucking sick of the bullshit OEM tunes that come on bikes.