Quantcast

some new dh chain ? ? ?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
The determining factor for chain replacement on my DH bike has always been side to side flop. When the chain gets sloppy, it bounces out of the chainguide (especially e13). 8sp chains last at least 3x longer than 9sp when using this as a criteria.
Do you have an actual, measurable test for this or is it just by 'feel'? You can just measure the chain length or throw in a Park chain checker. Perhaps some of the reasons people 'think' they're getting longer life out of an 8spd vs 9spd is b/c they cost a lot less each and it's easier to stomach the replacement on a regular basis.:clue:

Now I know why 500+lb springs are made!
"I'm not fat I'm festively plump" - E. Cartman

-ska todd

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Do you have an actual, measurable test for this or is it just by 'feel'? You can just measure the chain length or throw in a Park chain checker. Perhaps some of the reasons people 'think' they're getting longer life out of an 8spd vs 9spd is b/c they cost a lot less each and it's easier to stomach the replacement on a regular basis.:clue:

-ska todd

The "test" is when my chain starts popping out of the guide every run.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Plus the average wieght of a geared-up DH'r is about 40-60 pounds heavier than the average roadie or cx racer....fat roadies go slow and make ice cream stops on their rides...
I recon you never saw how big can a road sprinter be(the guys who suck at mountain racing but rule at fast finishes if you for some reason don't know what I mean). They are not heavier than avereage joes but the dh pro's weight probably around the same.
Not that it really makes any differance.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
would a half link (if it was made for 9 speed) have any affect on strength. they are pretty good but also with bmx thickness. being that every link is male and female each link would be the same strength and have no "weaker" spot-just thinking aloud

EGGS

Chimp
May 29, 2008
NYC
Actually wasn't directing the post to you at all.
12345 is me agreeing with you http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=12345
si
1.21 gigawatts!!!!!!!!!!!!
lmaaooooo your here to sell me a subscription to time life magazine ..

to answer bulldog
im 31 years old and have 15 years riding DH with a 2-3 hiatus ( discovered vag)
bikes ive owned ,2 big hits , 7.7 l,leytoy 4 ( yes i rode dh on it best biek ever ), v10. bottle rocket ,Preston and a bunch of mish mosh especially when i started( hard tails with judys and xt v brakes lol ) ..thats not counting 4-5 fixed gears a a few road bikes and the fact that i still ride and own a bmx bike ( t1 hickerson )
now i have a bmw race link , slayer sxc70 ,trek 69er , my t1 and building a bs chase dj bike from spare parts .
if you have any other questions pm me

oh and ska todd thanks im gonna look into it maybe its is worth it maybe it isn't . i just wanted to know what it was

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
to answer bulldog
bikes ive owned ,2 big hits , 7.7 l,leytoy 4 ( yes i rode dh on it best biek ever ), v10. bottle rocket ,Preston and a bunch of mish mosh especially when i started( hard tails with judys and xt v brakes lol ) ..thats not counting 4-5 fixed gears a a few road bikes and the fact that i still ride and own a bmx bike ( t1 hickerson )
now i have a bmw race link , slayer sxc70 ,trek 69er , my t1 and building a bs chase dj bike from spare parts .
I'm sorry but...what specific chains do you keep breaking repeatedly again?

EGGS

Chimp
May 29, 2008
NYC
I'm sorry but...what specific chains do you keep breaking repeatedly again?
all different ones .. if i break a chain i might not try it again shimano hg-93 7701.. .. sram 990 951 .. i haven't tried a whipperman one yet and i wanna try that gusset one it seems pretty trick too . and as you cna see imnot the only one who breaks chains here

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
12345 is me agreeing with you http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=12345
si
lmaaooooo your here to sell me a subscription to time life magazine ..

to answer bulldog

oh and ska todd thanks im gonna look into it maybe its is worth it maybe it isn't . i just wanted to know what it was
no, actually you were agreeing with rosenamedpoop who you actually quoted and then said 12345...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
A 7spd chain and 8spd chain are the same exact thing. The standard spacing for a road bike just went from 127mm to 130mm to accommodate the extra cog. Not difference in the chain...(well except for IG vs HG but that is a debate to have w/ Shimano techs)

8spd chains and 9spd chains are identical except for the width of the inner bushing. The outer plates are the same. If anything, they'd be stronger b/c the pin is shorter.

I'd argue that almost all broken chains you see out there are caused by 1 of 3 things: 1. impact (rock, stick, etc) 2. incorrect installation (re-using Shimano pin, bogarted chain tool, too short chain, sucking into tire) or 3. lack of maintenance (lube, replacement of beat stuff, etc).

[knock on wood]It's been a long while since I broke a chain.[/knock on wood] The last time I did it was the direct result of issue #1 above. I munched a rock, chain broke, wrapped around cassette, RD into spokes, etc.

For the 8spd curmudgeons out there, take a look at cross bikes. They play in the mud, ice, and grass far more than we do. Their bikes are seeing a lot more start/stops and high power out of corners. Oh, and they all run 10spd. If anyone would be arguing for this it would be these guys...and there are a lot more of them then there are of us!

The only plus I personally see w/ 7spd is the ability to narrow up the cassette and chain angle into the largest cog. This makes for more clearance around frames, chain guides, and tires. However, I'd keep the current cog spacing and just slim down the cassette a bit, not go back to 7/8 spd spacing.

-ska todd

I agree with most everything here. I dont belive that a 7/8 sp chain is any stronger than a 9sp chain. Litterally the difference is a shorter pin, and a thiiner roller.

But two things I see as an advantage to running the older 6/7/8 sp setups....

First, the chains cna last longer due to less twisting when going from your highest t lowest. the cassettes just are noit as wide, thats less stress on the chain.

Two, the bigger reason I See others wanting the older setups, is less dish on the wheel. That generally means a stiffer wheel. But at the same time, 150 for DH is fastly becoming a very strong standard.

BYO, I must say, your a smart cat, but every once and awhile, you say something that I just have to sit back and laugh.

I also dont get to pick on you too often........Dude, go buy a proper Chain checker......Seriously, if your methid of checking chain wear is when its dropping off the guide......I just cant see how a stretching chain would cause that, that seems more like too much clearance on the guide issue.

Personal suggestion

Quick, simple, easy to use...... cheap

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=5&item=CC-2

Last edited:

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
The new Dura-Ace chain is assymetric. Not that anyone is going to run it on a DH bike.

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
Ive solved all my drivetrain breakage issues.
Single Speed with a wipperman 1G8 chain. Indestructable! I no longer run a bash gaurd. Ive slammed into rocks, logs, everything and it doesnt even flinch.