Quantcast

some new dh chain ? ? ?

EGGS

Chimp
May 29, 2008
NYC
i was recently told that theres a dh specif chain on the market with thicker outer plates 9 same size inner plates) so it works on 9 speed cassettes ..
any one got a name for it ? link any info .
id be int this if i could find it

thanks in advance

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Please find me a single DHer that puts more force into a chain than a similar level road racer.....

BTW, thicker plates would require either a norrower inner or wider outer measurement. Neither would work.

EGGS

Chimp
May 29, 2008
NYC
Please find me a single DHer that puts more force into a chain than a similar level road racer.....

BTW, thicker plates would require either a norrower inner or wider outer measurement. Neither would work.
the chain is specif of bikes with chain guides and is also directional . the inner plates that face the cassette are thin so it will work in the rear with std 9 speed spacing . ye the outer link are thicker for strength

and im not questioning the wattage out put of a dher vs a road race . im just looking for a stronger chain

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin

Or XC UPhill masher/grinder for that matter. And as davep said, that thicker plate would only work on the smallest cog.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
quite possibly the most reliable chain that I have ever used and is reasonably priced as well is a SRAM PC-971.
If you can afford it get the PC-991 hollowpin (lighter, looks class).
Both are extremely strong chains. No need for anything else.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
just a thought: for sure dh riders can't produce the same constant max outputs as road riders, but peak loads on dh bikes might be higher. take into account pedal feedback and you are might get some high maximum loads, even if they dont last very long.

not trying to start a debate or anything, just thinking out loud.

chains break when you power shift anyways, not when taking loads in pure tension. so just learn how to shift properly.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I've been snapping chains for a long time. Now switched to Yaban gold SL chain and it's bombproof so far. It's also much lighter than other "heavy duty" chains I've tried so far. You just need a good chain it doesn't have to be bigger with extra strong marketing coming with it.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Dumb, just like that stupid DH specific cassette that Sram makes, the PG-970DH (A perfect DH cassette would be an 11-26 version of the PG-990).

If an XC rider mashing on the pedals up a steep climb in his granny gear won't break a chain, then no downhiller is going to break one. Especially not with a 36t or larger chainring up front. You just can't put down nearly as much force into the chain as someone going up hill with a 22t ring.

If you are breaking chains that often then there is probably something messed up in your set up. Possibly not enough links in the chain. You need to take your rear spring off and cycle the suspension in the largest cog to see if you have enough links. You could also be smoking them on rocks if you run an LG-1 without a bash guard and weakening them so that they fail later during a sprint, or they could just be wearing out.

I use a Sram PC-991 Crosspin on my DH bike that is supposed to be a bit stronger than the PC-991. It has broken once, either from taking hits because I didn't have a taco at the time, or the quick link wasnt put together just right. The chain came off down a fire road and I was missing the quicklink when I went to put it together so I think that I just didn't get the quicklink all the way back together. I also use PC-971's on my trail bike and have never had any problems from it. My next chains will be PC-991 Hollowpins for what it's worth.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...

Every single DH racer. Period. And even more so for gated racing.

Chains don't snap due to consistent and even force, they snap due to a sudden jolt of torque.

Roadies don't snap the chain tight out of a turn ever, really. DHers snap a relaxed chain tight as hell hundreds of times a ride. And gated racing...I've snapped plenty of chains at the gate. In fact, there was a time when Carter and King couldn't really snap a 4x gate 100% because the chain would just go....

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC

Chains don't snap due to consistent and even force, they snap due to a sudden jolt of torque.

Roadies don't snap the chain tight out of a turn ever, really. DHers snap a relaxed chain tight as hell hundreds of times a ride. And gated racing...I've snapped plenty of chains at the gate. In fact, there was a time when Carter and King couldn't really snap a 4x gate 100% because the chain would just go....
Nathan Rennie, The End.

The Australian Institute of Sport tested him at over 1800 watts, which blows away all but the most serious track racers in terms of sheer output, and he was using flat pedals during the test.

EGGS

Chimp
May 29, 2008
NYC

Nathan Rennie, The End.

The Australian Institute of Sport tested him at over 1800 watts, which blows away all but the most serious track racers in terms of sheer output, and he was using flat pedals during the test.
1800 watts = 2.41383976 hp idk about this one..
thanks for all the advice on how to ride my bike but im just looking for this specif chain .

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
i was recently told that theres a dh specif chain on the market with thicker outer plates 9 same size inner plates) so it works on 9 speed cassettes ..
any one got a name for it ? link any info .
id be int this if i could find it
There is a brief on said chain on pg 114 of the Feb issue of Dirt. It's made by Gusset and is called the DHS-9. http://www.gussetbikes.com/gusset/products-mtb-information.php?id=CHGUDH9H

I can't comment on it other than add in the same sentiments as everyone else. I doubt it will make any sort of big difference vs a good quality Sram, Shimano, or KMC chain.

Dumb, just like that stupid DH specific cassette that Sram makes, the PG-970DH (A perfect DH cassette would be an 11-26 version of the PG-990).
The PG970-DH is a beefier steel cassette w/ individually replaceable cogs. With this set-up you can take cogs off to run less if that's your thing. Also, a bunch of people have had issues w/ fast wear or with bending the two largest cogs on the standard PG970. Perhaps more for the big boys or the guys who log tons of bikepark or shuttle miles.

-ska todd

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
The thiner inner link/thicker outer link chain is..... well sorry I am going to say it, A marketting gimik. Your chain is still only as strong as the weakest link, and the link is only as strong as the weakest plate and pin.

Eggs, what chains are you wanting to outstrength? I am curious what your snapping myself.

I weigh in at 245, and I run the Sram hollow pin, best chain I have ever run.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Ripped 4 990s (non hollow pins) apart last year and not at take off. most of the time I was hammering down hard, I dont have lightning fast legs but tons of torque so I keep it in a tall gear and get my speed by pedaling harder less rotations. Its really cool when they go and you smash your knee into stem right before you go flying over the bars! Really cool I tell ya, chicks dig a good digger I tell ya! Did it in front of my wife and ended up in the bushes!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The thiner inner link/thicker outer link chain is..... well sorry I am going to say it, A marketting gimik. Your chain is still only as strong as the weakest link, and the link is only as strong as the weakest plate and pin.

Eggs, what chains are you wanting to outstrength? I am curious what your snapping myself.

I weigh in at 245, and I run the Sram hollow pin, best chain I have ever run.
HE!! Dustin I snapped 3 of 4 990 (non hollow pin) in the winter series last year. 1 on the wall, 1 before the last rockgarden and 1 in the pits getting after it towards the run up to practice.

Snapped another recently, had to go to Bobs and buy another 1.

Doesnt have to do with the bike either, snapped a couple on the Karpiel and 1 on the bullit as well.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
HE!! Dustin I snapped 3 of 4 990 (non hollow pin) in the winter series last year. 1 on the wall, 1 before the last rockgarden and 1 in the pits getting after it towards the run up to practice.

Snapped another recently, had to go to Bobs and buy another 1.

Doesnt have to do with the bike either, snapped a couple on the Karpiel and 1 on the bullit as well.
Installer error???

Just kidding, but I do remember there being a bad batch of chains in circulation.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle

I'm not sure about that. I've never seen a chain actually "break". Every time I've had one fail, the outer plate has slipped off the pin. That's why I went to Shimano chains. They have a lip on the pin that retains the plate.
I'd like to see a chain that is more resistant to the torsional loads that a chain experiences as it bounces around in a chain guide. Wait...I think it's called 8sp!

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Any DH bike that has chain growth as the suspension activates will put a lot of load on a chain. Lot's of DH bikes have chain growth at some stage in their travel, so all of the riders weight can be put onto the chain as the rear wheel tries to pull against it off a drop. Same if the brake is on when hitting bumps on some bikes.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Any DH bike that has chain growth as the suspension activates will put a lot of load on a chain. Lot's of DH bikes have chain growth at some stage in their travel, so all of the riders weight can be put onto the chain as the rear wheel tries to pull against it off a drop. Same if the brake is on when hitting bumps on some bikes.
Mine arent off drops always though. 2 of them have been off drops and Ive killed 6 or 7 chains in 3 years. 4 last year alone.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Go 8 speed. Chains for that see to be stronger.

Rennie has enough power to kick a puppy through a brick wall.

Just kidding. The puppy explodes.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Mine arent off drops always though. 2 of them have been off drops and Ive killed 6 or 7 chains in 3 years. 4 last year alone.
but, you are a big guy on a bike with a lot of rearward axlepath. That could be a major part of the problem.

I break chains too but I think chains are disposable. There is too much mud around here to care about my chains.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I'm no Rennie, but reckon I'm prety good at getting the power down (albeit only for short bursts!) and I've never had a problem with chains since I switched from Shimano. High-end Sram and KMC have always worked for me - rocking the KMC X9-SL now, the lightest chain you can get (ignoring titanium stupidness) and seems plenty strong enough. My suspension design (GT DHi) could be helping me out here though..

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I know it's not about gear but simply learning to pedal smoother will help much. If you aren't racing 4x than you don't have to kick them will full power with the first stroke. I've seen little kids (well did it my self at younger age) snap chains because of inability to pedal smothly. Apply the force with even power and you should snap much less chains.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Or 7 speed if you can find the stuff.
A 7spd chain and 8spd chain are the same exact thing. The standard spacing for a road bike just went from 127mm to 130mm to accommodate the extra cog. Not difference in the chain...(well except for IG vs HG but that is a debate to have w/ Shimano techs)

8spd chains and 9spd chains are identical except for the width of the inner bushing. The outer plates are the same. If anything, they'd be stronger b/c the pin is shorter.

I'd argue that almost all broken chains you see out there are caused by 1 of 3 things: 1. impact (rock, stick, etc) 2. incorrect installation (re-using Shimano pin, bogarted chain tool, too short chain, sucking into tire) or 3. lack of maintenance (lube, replacement of beat stuff, etc).

[knock on wood]It's been a long while since I broke a chain.[/knock on wood] The last time I did it was the direct result of issue #1 above. I munched a rock, chain broke, wrapped around cassette, RD into spokes, etc.

For the 8spd curmudgeons out there, take a look at cross bikes. They play in the mud, ice, and grass far more than we do. Their bikes are seeing a lot more start/stops and high power out of corners. Oh, and they all run 10spd. If anyone would be arguing for this it would be these guys...and there are a lot more of them then there are of us!

The only plus I personally see w/ 7spd is the ability to narrow up the cassette and chain angle into the largest cog. This makes for more clearance around frames, chain guides, and tires. However, I'd keep the current cog spacing and just slim down the cassette a bit, not go back to 7/8 spd spacing.

-ska todd

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

also, we're pedalling bikes that are two or even three times as heavy, through mud and dirt with high rolling resitance tires. I think with all that working against a DH bike, the force on the chain would be higher.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
also, we're pedalling bikes that are two or even three times as heavy, through mud and dirt with high rolling resitance tires. I think with all that working against a DH bike, the force on the chain would be higher.
Plus the average wieght of a geared-up DH'r is about 40-60 pounds heavier than the average roadie or cx racer....fat roadies go slow and make ice cream stops on their rides...

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Doesn't make any difference. Supposing a top roadie puts out 1kW and a top DH rider 1kW, the force on the chain is identical - the mud etc just makes the DHer go slower. The other conclusion suggests that the roadie is holding back, which renders the comparison between their peak power pointless :)

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Plus the average wieght of a geared-up DH'r is about 40-60 pounds heavier than the average roadie or cx racer....fat roadies go slow and make ice cream stops on their rides...
Yes, but even the fat roadies have to climb back up; we take a chain or truck. Oh, and how many Dh'ers also take a "smoke" break or grab a beer between runs ;) Though ice cream mid run would be rather nice. Someone better get on that! Too bad that DQ is down the road from Diablo and not right at the entrance to Alpine/Domboo.

-ska todd

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
snip
8spd chains and 9spd chains are identical except for the width of the inner bushing. The outer plates are the same. If anything, they'd be stronger b/c the pin is shorter.

The determining factor for chain replacement on my DH bike has always been side to side flop. When the chain gets sloppy, it bounces out of the chainguide (especially e13). 8sp chains last at least 3x longer than 9sp when using this as a criteria. Sure, the shifters aren't as nice, but I went an entire season last year on 1 drivetrain.