Quantcast

Some of my weaponry

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
The guns thread in the PD forum got me thiking about my own non-firearm weaponry and I decided to take a few pix and share. (I'm proud of my steel!) Yes, I know... they need to be cleaned and fed.

Hope you enjoy!

The Mace... This was made by a friend of mine using modern construction techniques. It's about 10 pounds and will crush bones. The trick to using it is to learn to control it's momentum as you swing it. We tested it by smashing cinder blockes with it. It's 22 inches tip to butt.

The sword here belongs to a friend of mine. I am holding it because UCLA will not allow it in his dorm room. Hand forged, with an antler handle.

My spear. I love my spear. Also hand forged.

Close up of the spearhead...

Lastly is my shield with a big sword. This is a cheapy sword made by a machine. The shield is 3/4 inch plywood, 24 inches in diameter. The center boss is 16 guage mild steel hand forged into the bowl shape you see. Frikkin heavy but the more you use it, the lighter it gets.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Note to self: have a gun handy when angering Ciaran.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
N8 said:
I'd give you the "Indiana Jones" shrug, then shoot your sword wielding ass with a .375 mag...

:p

:rolleyes:

Yeah the shield is heavy. Unlike my fighting weapons that are made of rattan these babys are real (live steel).

Heh heh... I may dress funny, but I have cool blades.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
do you have a battle axe ???

oh, and when your enemy is laying bloody on the ground, do you drink the mead of victory ?? :)

cool spear... not my cup o tea, but cool...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
partsbara said:
do you have a battle axe ???

oh, and when your enemy is laying bloody on the ground, do you drink the mead of victory ?? :)

cool spear... not my cup o tea, but cool...
No axe yet, but do I have plans on making a viking battle axe.

I do indeed drink the mead of victory. Mmmmm... Mead. :drool:

The spear is fun. It flies pretty well when thrown and will stick in a tree.

If anyone is interested in things like this here is a link to a bladesmith. He's is literally one of the best bladesmiths in the world.

http://www.atar.com/

I would love to have one of the pattern welded blades. :drool: :drool:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
jdschall said:
Actually it was developed originally in Europe. The earliest known finds/uses are from about 100 ad. The Romans used it often for decorative purposes as well as strength.

Many people think of it as being strictly Japanese or as being invented in Japan because in about the 14th century the Japanese were taking swordmaking to new heights, including the use of pattern welding as decoration and for strength ("folding the metal").

It is often incorrectly called DAMASCUS steel.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Ciaran said:
Actually it was developed originally in Europe.

It is often incorrectly called DAMASCUS steel.

I knew it wasn't the same as damascus steel but I did not know it wasn't Japanese in origin.

A friend of mine did a bunch of research on damascus steel for her senior materials engineering project. Apparently it is somewhat of a lost art. Many of the techniques were passed down from master to apprentice over the centurys and were never written down to protect their secrets. Many of those secrets are now lost to the ages. She was trying to use modern analysis techniques to figure out some of the tricks. If I recall correctly she didn't have much luck reproducing the steel.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I prefer more modern tools for removing limbs like a machete. Not a good stabby weapon but hacking is more fun.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
wingman24 said:
nice sword, are you the same guy that i talk to late at night on my DND forum? I can't wait to move out of my moms house so I can buy a sword, or an ax or something, maybe she'll buy me one next year on my 39th birthday.
Let me guess...you're turning 39 for the 6th time.....

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
johnbryanpeters said:

Good article. Sounds like Verhoeven figured it out. I have one of his books sitting above my desk. "Fundamentals of Physical Metallurgy" I refer to it often.

My friend was working on it in the mid-nineties, I think at Ames. I didn't see where she got any credit. She was just an undergrad and probably only did sample prep or something mundane like that.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
wingman24 said:
nice sword, are you the same guy that i talk to late at night on my DND forum? I can't wait to move out of my moms house so I can buy a sword, or an ax or something, maybe she'll buy me one next year on my 39th birthday.
Hah! Funny AND original! :rolleyes:

Don't make me smite you.

;)

A dirk. I think it's Spanish, guessing 19th century, but I haven't found anybody who seems to know their ass from their elbow. Has the old French inscription, roughly "Don,t draw me without reason, don't sheath me without honor". I'd like to have a helve fashioned, but don't know who'd do it without screwing it up.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
johnbryanpeters said:
A dirk. I think it's Spanish, guessing 19th century, but I haven't found anybody who seems to know their ass from their elbow. Has the old French inscription, roughly "Don,t draw me without reason, don't sheath me without honor". I'd like to have a helve fashioned, but don't know who'd do it without screwing it up.
Interesting. Any markings other than the inscription?