Quantcast

Some of my weaponry

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
johnbryanpeters said:
A tiny forge mark at the base of the tang, years since I have looked at it closely, I think it was maybe a T and a hammer, Toledo?
Possibly. Most of the stuff out of the Toledo factory was also marked with a year of production, but there were certainly other smiths working in the city.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
johnbryanpeters said:
Specifics, please, to which Toledo do you refer?
http://www.historicalweapons.com/toledoswords.html

About factory markings, we should mention that, unlike other Spanish factories devoted to firearm production, Toledo's blades did not bear inspection markings. Inspectors simply destroyed those blades that did not pass the though inspection process applied to them. Blades were stamped with factory marks later, so any blade from the Fábrica showing Toledo's marking had been tested.

Nearly all blades produced at Toledo factory were marked with year of production
(until the 20th century) and a reference to the Fábrica (the abbreviation To, or the legend Fábrica de Toledo or Fábrica Nacional de Toledo). In late 17th and beginning of 18th c. the mark of current Spanish king usually appeared (for instance, C IV for Charles IV). Sometimes a reference to Artillery Corp, which was in charge of the factory, was added. Because of that, the appearance of Artillería or Arta does not necessarily mean that you are looking at an artillery sword! Blades were only stamped with regimental marks from 1761 to 1814. But be careful: for example, Heavy Cavalry swords were marked as CaLa, which means "Caballería de Línea", not Light Cavalry. In the same way, Dragoon swords were marked as D.

From the second part of 19th century to the Fábrica's closing, several stamps combining crossed cannons with Fábrica de Toledo legend were used along with serial numbers, and after WWI the last official mark, combining F, N & T letters under a royal crown, first appeared.

Hmmm...
In late 17th and the beginning of 18th century... ...Also, with the arrival of the French Bourbon kings, the smallsword fashion came to Spain.
The imports of these light French blades damaged the production of Spanish traditional heavier rapiers...
I will try to photograph the marking, but don't get your hopes up...