Quantcast

Some of the rarer DH companies...

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I really hate supporting the big guys in any industry for a lot of reasons. So for my next DH frame, I'd like to support a smaller company that still makes STRONG frames and loves the sport (not the business). I know it's hard to find frames that are still made in North America, but that's what I'd prefer, but I guess it's not always possible. So far I've looked at-

One Ghost Industries - Musashi (US/Canada)
Banshee - Legend (Canada)
Cove- STD and Shocker (Canada)
Guerilla Gravity -....... (US)
YT industries - Tues 2.0 (Taiwan/China) can't really get here anyways, right?

I'm not a featherweight, but my Sunday handled me for 7 years. Will we ever see that again? I want quality that will last for 3-4 years at least. Plus I think it's a cool thread to have for small companies too. Let's hear them.

Last edited:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
While I wouldn't consider any thing listed "rare"..
Transition
Canfield
FTW..Frank The Welder (not sure what he's doing these days)

All three of these are owned by guys who ride and I have heard stories of them going above and beyond as far as customer service goes.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Turner DHR? Still made in the USofA. I'm a big guy and rode my DHR for two years with no problems. Turner's good with warranty should you have any issues.
Plus, I think he embodies the "loves the sport not the business" idea.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Knolly Podium (Canadia tho)

Intense M9 (or are they too "big")

Guerilla Gravity (EDIT - just noticed you already included them)

Looking at your criteria, I'd say the Guerilla Gravity option is the best fit. Small, US made, and seemingly very well constructed.

Btw, I'm pretty sure Banshee has their bikes made in Taiwan (at least my Spitty was, not sure about the Legend tho).

Last edited:

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i was gonna mention intense as well. i believe yeti still makes their frames in CO too.

although i wouldnt consider either to be 'rare', as they seem to be readily available here..

also, you'd need a middleman for the YT. so unless you realllllllly want that bike, count that one out.

edit:
i also saw frank welding up some dh frames on IG not too long ago. theyre purple :D

Last edited:

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
I think Yetis and Banshees are made over seas now-a-days. Can't say I see a ton of One Ghost or Cove frames around, so does that make them rare?

Are DeVinci and Intense frames too "big?" I think DeVinci still makes their aluminum frames in Quebec.

Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
FTW..Frank The Welder (not sure what he's doing these days)

All three of these are owned by guys who ride and I have heard stories of them going above and beyond as far as customer service goes.
Last time I was up at his shop(yesterday) Frank had just sent a couple of DH frames to heat-treat.

He's only been building them for the team he sponsors in the UK lately, does have a small, med, large frame available to purchase in North America though. He'd rather sell them as Saint/Zee, Dorado/CaneCreek completes. They ain't purple yet.
(fit's 650b's if ya want 'em)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm not sure that any of the frames listed besides intense, gg and ftw are "made by hand" in house. If you want rare and special, those later two are the best. Everything else is pretty much farmed out, whether in Asia or elsewhere in the us....but that wouldn't discourage me from a dhr.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
All these frames listed are considered "strong" by today's standards??

That's pathetic.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The height question is a very important one. At 280#, I'm guessing that you are probably pretty tall. The number of bikes for tall guys is very small: FTW and Yeti are two easily identified off hand. GG is going to be making a large frame that should be comfortable for guys around 6'4", if not more. Matt still has it on paper from when I talked to him at Winter Park a few weeks back.
We can throw around brand names until we are blue in the face. If the bike is too small, it doesn't matter.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
love my morewood makulu, and its been ridden hard for 3 years by a 200+ lb rider, other than bearings, still solid

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
What do you have, a Hood Mussel?
Right now I'm on a Banshee Legend. Before that I had an FTW FB10 that got swiped. Before that a Sinister R9. Somewhere in the middle I've had a few other things too (M3, DHR, etc).

I would not consider anything that Intense, One Ghost, Transition, Cove or Turner makes to be in the same league as an FTW frame.

Intense can't get a frame straight (or keep it straight) for the life of them, and they still crack all the time. One Ghost is literally a catalog frame from Taiwan. Transition is made in Vietnam (last I looked into it) and have material issues. Like the way they ride and handle though. Turner hasn't made a truly "durable" DH frame since their square tube DHR's. Coves have always had tubing/weld quality issues.

This Banshee seems built pretty well. Some of the finish details are still a little rough in comparison to an FTW, but it's been good so far. Still a Taiwan/Pacific frame, so you never know what weird quality issues will pop up.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I think DeVinci still makes their aluminum frames in Quebec.
not just the frames, but the aluminum too.

I've seen it mentionned once, but wouldn't Turner pretty much fit exactly the bill you've described? and the suspension kinematics would be relatively familiar to you given what you're coming off of...

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Will throw out Xprezo bikes from Bromont, Quebec too. Small volume and hand built in Canada, I've been rolling on a Furax for a couple of months now and it's an extremely capable bike. Not sure how the sizing would work for super-tall people though as I'm not one of them. At a mere 5'9" the medium is comfortably roomy with a 50mm stem.

Side note, with added anecdotal internet evidence that is therefore irrefutable! The Furax is replacing a Cove Shocker that all 165lb of me twisted the swingarm and cracked the downtube of.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I would stay away from 1ghost; over here on the east coast there is a large group of people that paid and are still waiting on frames... since march... :shocked:

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I'm not sure that FTW is really making anymore frames. That being said, those are the best frames if you can get your hands on them, especially the new ones. The advice I'm about to give you trumps everything else mentioned in this thread.

Talk to hank at bicycle fabrications. He'll make you a strong frame, a REALLY strong frame. It's not gonna be pretty, it's not gonna be fancy, but it will work, and it will be strong. Last frame I saw for him was for a guy I know who is ~7'1" and probably 260-270 pounds. The thing had about the same size tubing diameter as my FTW...except it was steel. He's pretty reasonably priced, and an interesting guy. Give him a call.

Edit: and stay the hell away from one ghost. Whoever would try to hype you on that catalog frame is a dumb-dumb.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
This Banshee seems built pretty well. Some of the finish details are still a little rough in comparison to an FTW, but it's been good so far. Still a Taiwan/Pacific frame, so you never know what weird quality issues will pop up.
LOL....and I cracked one of their "SUPER DUPER BURLY REINFORCED!!" chainstays months later too..

Snapped the front triangle on my square-tubed DHR as well. Difference being I had a new frame on my doorstep days later, free of charge (bought the bike used, and past warranty). Bought the Banshee new, sold it and the next owner noticed the cracked chainstay....Banshee made me pay $300 for a new stay.

So yea......need I say more?

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
^^^ was that one of those old screams? I think I saw at least 1 break in the exact same way.

I just bought a rune, that thing better hold up.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
LOL....and I cracked one of their "SUPER DUPER BURLY REINFORCED!!" chainstays months later too..

Snapped the front triangle on my square-tubed DHR as well. Difference being I had a new frame on my doorstep days later, free of charge (bought the bike used, and past warranty). Bought the Banshee new, sold it and the next owner noticed the cracked chainstay....Banshee made me pay $300 for a new stay.

Banshee Scream was epic, like a 14lb frame but it broke from mild use...

It seems like they've gotten much better, but I think they didn't have a f-ing clue what they were doing when they came out with that bike...

Last edited:

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
The companies listed (Turner, divinci...) are good. Basically I'm interested in the ones that not every shop has on hand. Trek, specialized, GT, Giant, Cannondale...

Demo9,where are Zerode 's made now?

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Banshee frames are made in the same factory as Canfield now, I am pretty sure.

I don't think all Devinci frames are made in Quebec either.

But really, a lot of the frames from Asia are made very well.

The Guerilla Gravity people have certainly captured my attention though. Looks like a simple, strong and well contructed frame.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
The companies listed (Turner, divinci...) are good. Basically I'm interested in the ones that not every shop has on hand. Trek, specialized, GT, Giant, Cannondale...

Demo9,where are Zerode 's made now?
I am not sure, i know the G1 was made in the USA, but i think the factory stopped making bikes, and than they moved. Rumor was that somebody in NZ was producing them-but i have no confirmation of that. (although it probably makes sense, since they can keep an eye on it)

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I know the whole "Asian frames are just as good if not better" stuff. But I have a job CNC'ing, and I know my job can go overseas too. But some ofus take great pride in our work. I turn, bore and thread brass to 6061 to 1045 to 4140 and keep my accuracy to.003 (about the thickness of a human hair) no problem. Or.0003 if I feel like it (hair divided by 30). I wanna support people who appreciate their work. Who also speak English. Who know what I want when I need it. So if I call up I can ask Bill for the bearings for my 2014 xxx and he can mail them or give me a part #. I know, I know... But it would be nice. I've seen so many Treks with broken stays and seat tubes it's ridiculous. Yet, you can't just call them up. You need pictures, serial numbers, and some companies pics of the broken parts cut in half.

Oh well, I'm sure there's someone as enthusiastic about riding and building a frame as Iam riding and building trails. I'm just searching for that person/company.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I love my Banshee Legend. I've done a lot of stupid crap on it repeatedly with zero issues. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I think most of these smaller companies are pretty good with handling customer issues, if you have a problem. I'll totally agree with Electric City that being able to call up the bike company to ask for a part or anything you might need is a huge factor in what bikes I purchase. Of course with that being said, sh1t happens and there are anomalies.

I'd totally recommend Transition in that respect. Their bikes might be made overseas, but you can order any part directly from them. No need to go through a 3rd or 4th party seller. You can call them up and ask them yourself AND they respond to emails! Anyways, that is my experience as well as a few of my friends who have dealt with them.

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I think most of these smaller companies are pretty good with handling customer issues, if you have a problem. I'll totally agree with Electric City that being able to call up the bike company to ask for a part or anything you might need is a huge factor in what bikes I purchase. Of course with that being said, sh1t happens and there are anomalies.

I'd totally recommend Transition in that respect. Their bikes might be made overseas, but you can order any part directly from them. No need to go through a 3rd or 4th party seller. You can call them up and ask them yourself AND they respond to emails! Anyways, that is my experience as well as a few of my friends who have dealt with them.
^^^ Very true- and the most impressive part to me is their concistency. I had an '05 dirtbag that I beat the crap out of, and they went above and beyond for me twice when I had some issues and needed replacement parts.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006

Well, first off, you're admitting to having paid money for, owned and ridden a Banshee Scream. That in itself is bad enough.

The bike is now 10 years old, and from what is largely regarded as a different company now. Not gonna pass judgement on that one.

I turn, bore and thread brass to 6061 to 1045 to 4140 and keep my accuracy to.003 (about the thickness of a human hair) no problem. Or.0003 if I feel like it (hair divided by 30).
Not trying to be an ass (well maybe a little), but I hope your math is better than this when you have to read a print.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Well, first off, you're admitting to having paid money for, owned and ridden a Banshee Scream. That in itself is bad enough..
That's because I was young, naive and bit into all the hype. What else could have possibly hucked 15' to flat on?!? You would have had to live in the Northeast circa 2001 to "get it".

"ZOMG THEY NEVER BREAK!!111!!"

All bikes break....it's a matter of CS more than anything (to me).

Last edited:

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
AND they respond to emails!
i cant tell you how many emails ive sent off to companies or shops, asking a very simple/easy question or two only to not ever get a reply.

i dont know what goes through their head when they're sitting there reading my email, and not replying to it. but, the one thing i know is that i wont shop there or give that bike company my business.

and on that note of transition: just saw a thread not too long ago on here regarding how a monkey got into an accident on the way to whistler, and transition spung into action and went above and beyond to help out those peeps. very very cool.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Um who ever said Transitions are made in Vietnam with material quality issues is out to lunch. Aluminum frames are taiwan. Carbon is china. I think their klunker and their sister company, Traitor's cheapest fixie are vietnam.
TR450 is a tough bike. I know of several frames that have been through several riders, ridden hard, huck big, landed sideways and still kicking 4 years later.

Canfield and Banshee are both made by Pacific in Taiwan.

Cove is made by Yess in British Columbia.

Devinci is made in house in Quebec. In my opinion, they make some of the highest quality bikes, in house, in north america. Heat treating, fixturing are not cheap to do well, and there a certain economies of scale required to make it somewhat affordable. The smaller guys get killed on this. Bigger factories are making stronger, lighter bikes and better prices.

Turner is made by Zen Fab in Portland, OR.

Intense is in house in Socal. They used to have crazy alignment issues. They have a different heat treater and HT jigs now. Seem a lot better.

I personally would buy an Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho frame for $200-300, waaaaaaaaaaaay before a retardly expensive, "bespoke" version of the same thing form GG or FTW.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Banshee Scream was epic, like a 14lb frame but it broke from mild use...

It seems like they've gotten much better, but I think they didn't have a f-ing clue what they were doing when they came out with that bike...
gotta say some of the most hideous bikes ive ever seen were screams..

i remember being in whistler the first year they came out...so many god awful setups..55lb huck bikes everywhere..

:rofl:

i always liked riding something a little different as well..

here was my old ride..they arnt making frames anymore so it dosnt really matter but i was just looking at old pics so its a good excuse to post them..this thing would get allot of looks when we were up in canada..think this was '06..that bike was dialed..thing was on rails
(yes i still dont like excessively slack ha's lol)

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Um who ever said Transitions are made in Vietnam with material quality issues is out to lunch. Aluminum frames are taiwan. Carbon is china. I think their klunker and their sister company, Traitor's cheapest fixie are vietnam.
TR450 is a tough bike. I know of several frames that have been through several riders, ridden hard, huck big, landed sideways and still kicking 4 years later.

Canfield and Banshee are both made by Pacific in Taiwan.

Cove is made by Yess in British Columbia.

Devinci is made in house in Quebec. In my opinion, they make some of the highest quality bikes, in house, in north america. Heat treating, fixturing are not cheap to do well, and there a certain economies of scale required to make it somewhat affordable. The smaller guys get killed on this. Bigger factories are making stronger, lighter bikes and better prices.

Turner is made by Zen Fab in Portland, OR.

Intense is in house in Socal. They used to have crazy alignment issues. They have a different heat treater and HT jigs now. Seem a lot better.

I personally would buy an Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho frame for $200-300, waaaaaaaaaaaay before a retardly expensive, "bespoke" version of the same thing form GG or FTW.
ROR (Raugh Out Roud)