Quantcast

some photos from our brewery

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
so...we're starting a brewery here in pullman, wa. not operational yet though we should be pouring by march and will do a grand opening sometime in may. though y'all might like some photos...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
sweet man. I'll have to stop by and check it out next time I'm in town. Whats the name going to be? postoffice?

Last edited:

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
The name is Paradise Creek Brewery...we're in the building that is The Old Post Office here in Pullman. I actually just finished up our logo over the weekend.

Last edited:

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Well, we just got our approval paperwork from the TTB (Federal Gov) so we're now legally able to brew! Mechanically we're still a few weeks off. Yesterday the transport truck came to deliver our grain mill, except that when the driver opened up the back door the mill had fallen over and was pretty much destroyed. That sucked.

Other than that...we're picking up Glycol from Seattle today, still need to run a bunch of piping and get the walk-in cooler running.

Boostindoubles delivered us about 400 pounds of hops last week which was pretty damn cool!

Busy busy busy.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
That's awesome macko, bummer about the mill though. Best of luck with the place.

We just had engineers from Belgium walk through our place in preparation for expansion, and their suggestions were pretty eye-opening. I know I'm on the other side of the country, but let me know if there's anything I can help with.

Here's a couple shots from this summer's upgrade:

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
10% off for RM members I hope. Good luck with the venture. Website?
Well of course! If you ever find yourself in Easter Washington...let me know.

No website quite yet, I need to start working on that this weekend. Waaaay too much to do...

BikeGeek: Those are some big F'n tanks, man! How many barrels is your system?

Got some of the hardware put together so we know how it works and if it leaks, finished putting together the walk-in cooler and got the boiler hooked up:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Awesome...a buddy of mine that went to WSU keeps inviting me over for a cougar football game in November and I've had to say no a couple times just because of timing...but I think my schedule should clear up this year!!!!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
looks very cool. how do you sanitize your equipment? via dilute bleach cleaning, caustic, or do you steam? are the vessels pressure-rated?

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Squirrel: Yes you will. Let me know when you're coming to town and I'll hook you up with a pint.

narlus: we use a caustic (acid) for cleaning/sterilization. not sure if the vessels are pressure rated or not...we've got blow-offs on the lauter tun and the fermenters shouldn't ever build enough to do anything drastic.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Love the copper cladding! They're going to look great with a bit of polishing.
BikeGeek: Those are some big F'n tanks, man! How many barrels is your system?
Those are 2 of 5 new 125 bbl tanks we installed this summer. We're working with a 30 hl (~25 bbl), 5-vessel brewhouse.

how do you sanitize your equipment? via dilute bleach cleaning, caustic, or do you steam? are the vessels pressure-rated?
We clean with an acid, rinse, clean with NaOH, rinse, cool, inspect, and then sanitize with a mild acid. It's pretty much industry-standard.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
That's awesome macko, bummer about the mill though. Best of luck with the place.

We just had engineers from Belgium walk through our place in preparation for expansion, and their suggestions were pretty eye-opening. I know I'm on the other side of the country, but let me know if there's anything I can help with.

Here's a couple shots from this summer's upgrade:
im in Reading, PA. where do you guys sell your beer?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
fascinating stuff. i'd love to do a nano scale startup brewery (in an alternate parallel universe where i didn't have to rely on it as a sole source of income).

how'd you pros get into the industry? still in it for the love, or does it just become another production based job?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
in it for the love, man. in it for the people and good times.
Word. First job I've ever had that I can't wait to get to in the morning.

how'd you pros get into the industry?
A bit of luck and a lot of hard work. I worked up from a bottling line position to a brewer in 6 months two years ago. I've since completed the Intensive Brewing Science and Engineering course through the American Brewers Guild - 6 months of microbiology, biochemistry, fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, etc.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
So when can I come and get a brew? I only have a month left before I graduate!
Oh...it might be close. We're really hoping to have some beers on tap by May but our first full-batch will be run late this week. If you swing by in early May and we aren't pouring quite yet, I'll take you down into the brewery and fill you up on a pint of whatever we've got.

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
Awesome Ill be in town till May 31st(When my lease ends). So hopefully ill be able to attend a soft opening if you have one.