Quantcast

some pictures from the First Night via the new camera

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
so santa dropped a rebel xt under the tree, and now i need to learn how to use the thing. should be a good challenge, but i think i'm up to it. for NYE, we decided to head into boston for First Night. there is a ton of stuff for kids, and we took in some of it (i lived in boston from '89 to '96 and never went to 1st night. :think: ).

here's a pic of Otis, modelling his face painting:

the old and the new:

we went to the Hynes and caught some bmx/skating action from Maximum Velocity. i didn't bring my flash and the kit lens is pretty slow for indoor, poor-lit environments, but it's a poor man who blames his equipment, right? anyway, here are a few shots which turned out halfway decent:

can't wait to dial this thing in, and get another lens or two.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Nice shots :thumb:

Might want to think about a 50mm f/1.8 as a really inexpensive foray into the world of low light photography. They can be had for <$100 and are generally razor sharp, with that 2 or more stop light advantage over your average kit lens.

Can't wait to get my grubby paws on a dSLR... Will probably have to wait a couple years, though, education must come first :(

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
hey BV, that lens looks good (and the price is right). think i'll pick up one of those. :thumb:

fraser's got me thinking about the L series 70-200mm as well, but that's a pricier piece of glass.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
hey BV, that lens looks good (and the price is right). think i'll pick up one of those. :thumb:

fraser's got me thinking about the L series 70-200mm as well, but that's a pricier piece of glass.
The 70-200 is certainly a superlative piece of glass. Also keep in mind that lenses (especially high end lenses) retain a TON of their value, even for the long haul - so if you buy something, you can usually sell it without taking much of a loss.

Before you make a big investment in a lens like that, you might want to consider picking up an inexpensive big-range lens (like a cheap ~70-300, such as this), and finding out what focal lengths you spend the most time at (in conjunction with your kit lens). No matter how awesome a 70-200 f/2.8 or f/4 is, if your most-shot focal lengths fall under 70mm or in the super telephoto (200+ mm) ranges...

Just something to think about!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I love the way that old church reflects off the new building - a woman I was seeing for a while told me the architect designed the new building to purposely mirror the old church in order to appease folks in Beantown is this accurate?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MMcG said:
I love the way that old church reflects off the new building - a woman I was seeing for a while told me the architect designed the new building to purposely mirror the old church in order to appease folks in Beantown is this accurate?
good question, MMcG; all i know about those particular buildings is that glass panes were falling out of the Hancock tower because the designers forgot to take into account the lower atmospheric pressure of the top floors, relative to the building pressure (or is that an urban myth? :think: ).

it's funny, i've never been in that church, and i lived within 8 blocks of it for over 5 years.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
narlus said:
good question, MMcG; all i know about those particular buildings is that glass panes were falling out of the Hancock tower because the designers forgot to take into account the lower atmospheric pressure of the top floors, relative to the building pressure (or is that an urban myth? :think: ).

it's funny, i've never been in that church, and i lived within 8 blocks of it for over 5 years.
I can't see your pics.

I lived in Boston for 4 years (92-96) and actually made it in that church a couple of times, pretty cool. And glass panes definitely fell out of the Hancock but I never heard the pressure theory, all I ever heard was the "bonehead construction" theory.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
OGRipper said:
I can't see your pics.
huh. can everyone else see 'em OK? i hosted them on photobucket today, as imageshack was down for maintenance.

OGRipper said:
I lived in Boston for 4 years (92-96) and actually made it in that church a couple of times, pretty cool.
yeah, i make it a point to check out cool/old churches when i'm travelling, but why don't i also do it @ home? dunno.

splat

Nam I am
narlus said:

no the glass panes were falling out because the desiners did not take in to account how much the building would flex. and one of the solutions to the problem was that they actually ran the upper floors at lower pressure to keep the windows in. the vaccum pumps are still there and used if they ever see a window pane that looks loose.

funny thing is I llived in Boston from 83-88 and I was never in that churh either , and never made it to first night either.

BV where would you reccomend getting a 50 MM 1.8 lens I could use one also for my Rebel.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Remote flash setup and you are set. I got a d70s for xmas and bought a remote setup. if only the weather was nice so i could go shoot some dj action.