Quantcast

Some Pictures...

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
I've been working on getting better at shooting and figured I'd throw some pics up because I certainly haven't seen enough pictures of people riding on this forum.....Thanks to Matt Puzel for being patient with me while I fumbled through the whole thing....this was shot with a Nikon D80 with one SB-600 fired remote using a tokina 11-16mm wide angle...the first two pics were with an 18-200mm nikon lens.....I'm trying to learn and get better so i'm wide open to criticism and suggestions....enjoy

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The first and the last are the 2 I like most.
On the last maybe crop the r side out just before you cut the arm off to ditch the bush. Also maybe bump the light up in curves and darks down slightly for a little contrast?

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
The first and the last are the 2 I like most.
On the last maybe crop the r side out just before you cut the arm off to ditch the bush. Also maybe bump the light up in curves and darks down slightly for a little contrast?
i haven't gotten into photoshop yet i just did a little color/lighting correction on iPhoto....i really need to tackle photoshop, but here it is cropped a bit...good suggestion...

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
Try a slower shutter speed to expose the background a bit more, the flash will still freeze the rider and look sweet, but the background will be have more detail. If you pan with the rider it will blur the background too which can look pretty sweet

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Try a slower shutter speed to expose the background a bit more, the flash will still freeze the rider and look sweet, but the background will be have more detail. If you pan with the rider it will blur the background too which can look pretty sweet
as I slow the shutter should I be decreasing the power of the flash so the rider/foreground isn't blown out? Thanks!

dap

Chimp
Jul 25, 2006
Central, NY
A quick photoshop (of course just on your small jpeg version posted) but i added a little more levels adjustment to it. You might have to lower the power of the flash/strobe depends on where it hits the highlights (white part on helmet etc) that will really matter most. Good work so far keep it up!

Attachments

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Nice shots Ian. If you ever wanna go out and shoot hit me up... just getting back on the bike from a broken elbow so I don't mide waiting for set up and re-hitting the same spots to get the shot. Plus... I'll try not to nail you like Matt did...

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
as I slow the shutter should I be decreasing the power of the flash so the rider/foreground isn't blown out? Thanks!
No the shutter speed has basically zero effect on what the flash is doing. Your subject is exposed by the flash power, aperture and ISO. The flash fires at something like 1/2000th of a second so in a way its like the shutter speed is fixed for everything the flash hits. The shutter speed only effects the background or whatever the flash doesn't reach.