Quantcast

Some Quadcopter Testing

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
One of my buddies has been testing out his copter lately. Took it for a test run down by the beach in OC. He's looking to make some tweaks trying to figure out what he can and can't do. Cool perspective though.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Yea, at the very beginning, you can see him in the neon. He had all his gear in a pack and was riding ahead and then filming. All the footage is from one run. He uses the first person goggles that he says are easier to fly with. I guess the copter can be set up to follow gps way points and some other tricks once you know where you want it to go. I think the reception cut out on the gimble is the reason it went wonky a couple times. It has a pretty good range line of sight, but can apparently get out of contact in the mountains. I think if it loses reception completely, it flies back to where it took off from via gps.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That's pretty awesome.

What are the prices on these?

Haven't heard that song in a long time...

Last edited:

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
The programming on that quad sounds pretty awesome. Now you need to get some footage a little further up the ridgeline.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
There's not much else up there. A little singletrack down to where we were at.

That is the "Top of the World" at Laguna. Although it's deceiving because it's not very high :-/

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
That's because you already know the super secret location....that is damn near impossible to find if you have any access to the internet or google maps.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
There is a chopper on kickstarter that will follow you. Wonder when it will hit the market.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
There is a chopper on kickstarter that will follow you. Wonder when it will hit the market.
I talked to a few dudes who are filming themselves riding by recording GPS way points on the trail, putting them in to the quadcopter as a route and going back up and re-riding the route with the quadcopter following them.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
cool stuff. im starting to build my multi rotor now as well as a few planes.. cant wait to start another expensive hobby!

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Just like everything, some enjoy the process of building, some want to use it. I don't know crap about RC stuff other than he enjoys shooting and making vids and it's fun to actually have some footage. There are tons of rides where I wish I had some sort of pictures/videos, but never brought anything. I'm sure there are cheaper/DIY/more awesomer/whatever rigs out there, but he has this pretty dialed and keeps getting better every time he takes footage.