Quantcast

Some recommendations?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
bikenweed said:
Yeah, hurry up and make some bikes. I would be interested in one of them, as long as the prices aren't super high. I am poor.
Can they be painted? I like the orange from the old Klein Mantra frames. American bikes get all these boring paintjobs, and all euros have these cool, bright, loud, and obnoxious paintjobs. Way faster.
yeah i can paint them any color you want. but its extra.

Oh yeah, and do the BCD bikes have a warranty? I pretty much suck at bike riding and manage to make hella mistakes while trying to go fast, destructing everything.
new warantees will be for 4 years. the frame is modular. I.E. the downtube,head,top bolt to the mid, the swingarms bolt to that, the BB bolts on and the seat tube.

i am trying to make the bikes easy to replace sections incase it get run over by a truck. bolting everything from perfectlly acurate molds means they all will be the same. this makes it easy for me. with full adjustments i make one bike to fit all only altering the layup for rider weights.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Bicyclist said:
Alex I'm pretty sold on a BCD, just gotta ride a Sunday and see what it's like.
thats what i'm afrad of. lol :rofl: :help:

jking, both great bikes, but i sorda like mine better.

julianBC

Chimp
Mar 24, 2004
I'm in the same boat as you. I am coming off of a 222, which I loved, but it is just time for a change. Right now the Sunday is on the top of my list since I can get it complete. But I also really like v10s, and I have considered r9s. For some reason R9s just don't do it for me, but I would like to try one on a trail before I rule them out.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
julianBC said:
I'm in the same boat as you. I am coming off of a 222, which I loved, but it is just time for a change. Right now the Sunday is on the top of my list since I can get it complete. But I also really like v10s, and I have considered r9s. For some reason R9s just don't do it for me, but I would like to try one on a trail before I rule them out.
Julian,
You probally want to ride a "regular" length R9 V. the long. I believe James Stoddard just got a new R9 and lives near you...

julianBC

Chimp
Mar 24, 2004
SuspectDevice said:
Julian,
You probally want to ride a "regular" length R9 V. the long. I believe James Stoddard just got a new R9 and lives near you...
Yup, Jim is on my team. I took his around the parking lot but that was it, and he has the long. I'm just afraid that it will feel heavy and lathargic compared to my 222. How nimble is it?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
julianBC said:
The R9 is the same for me. It's just not too exciting. The V10 is overkill for me, I'm looking for 7-8" of travel. The V10 is more of a plow bike than what I like.

Have you considered a BCD? Frames are cheaper than you'd expect and it's sure as hell different, if that's what you want...

For single pivot both Orange and Morewood make good stuff but it's not too different than your 222 I guess.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Just a little update: I rode a Sunday today and absolutely hated it. I'm not saying it's a bad bike, I just wasn't comfortable on it at all. Granted it was at Performance, but I can't see selling my Demo for one.

I guess a Commencal is still an option, as well as a Morewood or BCD. Just gotta ride a Morewood and Commencal again. I'd think about a new Big Hit too, they seem to make good race bikes and I don't mind the short chainstays.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i say go with bcd to go with something different and support a "local" guy. the designs of his bikes have intrigued me since i first saw them and if you can get one for a good price go for it.

julianBC

Chimp
Mar 24, 2004
I decided to go with the R9 after hearing all of these testimonies. We will see how it goes, I don't have it in my posession yet, but I am waiting.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Aight, a bit of an update.

I rode another Sunday. I liked it a lot better. It was definately a nice bike, but it didn't ride as well as I hoped. I need to try a dialed one before I make up my mind.

I also rode a Santa Cruz V-10. Oh. My. God. The thing was NUTS! Pedalled better than my Demo with like 4" of sag! It felt like a monster truck with 100000 HP. And nitrous.

Now I need to ride a single pivot and see what it's like. I think a Morewood and a BCD are both cool. I just need to ride one and get a feel of what the other would be like.

It seems like an M3 would be pretty sweet as well. How does it compare to the V-10 in terms of feel? My concern with the V-10 is it may be too overkill and sluggish for some of the riding I do, ie Fontana. But in SB/Mammoth/Tahoe, I can imagine it'd be awesome.

I just can't see buying an R9 w/o buying one and I don't know anyone with one, so unless I find someone with one it's ruled out.

The new DHRs sound awesome as well.

Bikenweed, how'd you like the V10 you rode compared to your Demo? It seems like it'd be a sweet bike for fast stuff but a bit overkill otherwise. Also, do you notice the high leverage ratio?

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Aight, a bit of an update.

I rode another Sunday. I liked it a lot better. It was definately a nice bike, but it didn't ride as well as I hoped. I need to try a dialed one before I make up my mind.

I also rode a Santa Cruz V-10. Oh. My. God. The thing was NUTS! Pedalled better than my Demo with like 4" of sag! It felt like a monster truck with 100000 HP. And nitrous.

Now I need to ride a single pivot and see what it's like. I think a Morewood and a BCD are both cool. I just need to ride one and get a feel of what the other would be like.

It seems like an M3 would be pretty sweet as well. How does it compare to the V-10 in terms of feel? My concern with the V-10 is it may be too overkill and sluggish for some of the riding I do, ie Fontana. But in SB/Mammoth/Tahoe, I can imagine it'd be awesome.

I just can't see buying an R9 w/o buying one and I don't know anyone with one, so unless I find someone with one it's ruled out.

The new DHRs sound awesome as well.

Bikenweed, how'd you like the V10 you rode compared to your Demo? It seems like it'd be a sweet bike for fast stuff but a bit overkill otherwise. Also, do you notice the high leverage ratio?
m3. its a v10 with dialed geometry. i would run one if it wasnt for the rediculous price and their lack of sponsorship.

i want one because its capable of plowing and taking faster lines, yet it still can rip corners due to the geo.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Nice. Now I've gotta ride one. You've gotta DHR, right? And it's drilled? If so how do you like it?

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
honestly, its alright. i liked it alot last winter when i was like 6' flat. but im about 6'2 and while the bb height and head angle are pretty spot on, the wheelbase and top tube are just a bit short for me and it feels like the bike gets hung up on everyyything. its definitely a fast bike, i just personally think there are better options out there for me.

take that into consideration, dont base your entire decision on what i have to say. you can talk till you're blue in the face on the internet, but you will never know till you actually hop on a few bikes and give them a try.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah. I just wanna get an idea of what's out there but I'm not buying till I'm riding. This season at the races I'm gonna try and ride everything I can get my paws on and go from there.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
ok, my commencal is a s/m with a fox 40 at 7in. bb is actually 13.9, tt is just about 22. but feels roomier then my vp free's 22.5 tt. you need a l/xl for sure. the HA is 66.5 at the slackest. i love the bike to bits right now. and i wont worry about pedal feedback, i am using a 38ring (instead of the recommended 42t) i dont feel it going through rock gardens ect, you feel it a bit when actually pedaling, but negligable compared to say a bullit. btw, i ride flat pedals.

oh yea, the 06 s/m supreme dh weighs 10.7 lbs with rear axel. so it isn't the lightest bike around, but with the weight around the bb, it doesn't bother me. on the other hand an orange at 9 lbs is a feather.

my advice is that you try a 224/supreme dh and compare is directly to a v10/m3. some ppl just hate any pedal feedback, some hate the sloppyness of vpp. but dont just say single pivots have alot of feedback just coz you have tried a 222/223, slight changes in the pivot location make huge changes in how it rides.

i would look at the sunday too. i guess you cant really go wrong with that.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I came from a DH9 to a Morewood and I have been pleasantly suprized and very happy. My DH9 was 43ish pounds, yet it rode like a tank. It was stable at speed with very little input, but it just required too much work to manuever at slower speeds.

I have my Izimu with a 46" wheelbase and a 14" BB. I don't know the head angle, but I'm guessing 65. I have a Cane Creek on my bike and I probably wouldn't like the bike as much with any other shock.

I also have a Morewood Shova and the pedal feedback thing is only an issue on the Shova when in the granny gear. I have never felt it in the middle ring or on my Izimu.

The bike does brake "jack" while breaking in studder bumps, but its something that any skilled rider can compensate for.

I don't think I could go back to a DH-9, Sunday type bike right now. I'm much more comfortable jumping and skipping my way down the trail instead of plowing. I think its faster.

The Izimu is super easy to build light and is a very good all around choice. Its easy to maintain and the angles are spot on.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
BCD, I can't go to the show 'cause of school although I work at a shop.

Profo, there are some Morewoods at the local races I've gotta try out. They sound nice.