Quantcast

Some riding shots from Pisgah Natl Forest

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Yesterday we decided to head up to pisgah to camp and ride. We only had one night because I have work today, but we got a good ride in and had fun.

Crossin the creek to setup camp.

The cooler is stocked.

My friend Zach shows a strawberry who's boss.

Some Shreddage.

Pisgah has some okay scenery.

Some more shreddage.

At the top, this is called Slate Rock.

And one last one from camp, we got rained on after this and had to go in the tent early.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Rad. It looks like you guys are having a grand ole time riding bikes over there, awesome.

Over here, I'm going "camping" (homeless-ing) in Andorra next week for the Megavalanche. Wish me luck that I don't die in a ditch somewhere.

Peace
-Jeff

J

JRB

I was just wondering who the hell says "swimming hole".

Nice pics.

J

JRB

splat said:
People Who know how to swim ??? ( I really hope you know how to swim Loco)

And as loco said ( and every body else ) , Nice Pics .
Yeah - I just heard a kid yell "yay, a swimming hole" yesterday and realized I don't say it. Then my brother in law said it today. I thought of Andy Griffith.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
loco said:

Nice pics.
The Meat Puppets say swimming ground, close enough?

The sun is up and beating down
Hot enough to melt the ground
A little water would do us good
The clouds'd help us if they could
They'd send showers of pouring rain
Get everything wet again
We could go and float around
In our favorite swimming ground
The best place I ever found
Wasn't close to any town
Was a little swimming ground
Everything just floating around
Out to lunch and out of town
Pretty close to falling down
A little water would do us good

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
loco said:

Nice pics.
You've never heard of a swimming hole? What do you call them, natural pools?

And ditto on the nice pics.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
The Toninator said:
Please refrain from using or placing glass in or around water, especially moving water.
Thanks
Your Pal,
Tony

Other than that nice pics, i miss pisgah.
Nothing wrong with using natures refrigerator. Permafrost is a little scarce down this way.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
BurlyShirley said:
Nothing wrong with using natures refrigerator. Permafrost is a little scarce down this way.
Glass has a tendency to break. Broken glass in water can be undetectable to the human eye, that coupled with the apathy associated with inebriation is a recipe for disaster.
So yes there is something wrong with that.
Your Pal
Tony.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
The Toninator said:
Glass has a tendency to break. Broken glass in water can be undetectable to the human eye, that coupled with the apathy associated with inebriation is a recipe for disaster.
So yes there is something wrong with that.
Your Pal
Tony.
:nopity:
People getting wasted and breaking **** anywhere is not a good idea, but using a cold creek to cool your beer is perfectly acceptable everywhere but your mind.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
any chance you'd be willing to share the details of where that camp spot is at? I'll hopefully be heading through there in a month and that looks like a nice setup.

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
The Toninator said:
whatever you used to be cool.

please keep you glass away from the water.

that is all
No doubt broken glass in water is bad, but we weren't going to break the glass because it held expensive fire water... and no one wants to see that float away, so we always took care when handling it and there was no way for the current to sweep it away or have rocks crush the glass because it was protected by a rock wall.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Curiouscaptian01 said:
No doubt broken glass in water is bad, but we weren't going to break the glass because it held expensive fire water... and no one wants to see that float away, so we always took care when handling it and there was no way for the current to sweep it away or have rocks crush the glass because it was protected by a rock wall.
I’m sorry my intention was not to derail this thread. I’m sure you guys are all perfectly responsible. My only point is ‘**** happens’ as we’ve all seen over and over and over again. Personally it’s not worth the risk and I hope that others see it the same way.

Nice photo’s and ride report.

Znug13

Chimp
May 14, 2006
G-Vegas
no doubt i get what you are saying, but we made sure that nothing was going to break... if we had a cooler, we would of used it... but the truth is that this trip was spontaneous, and we didnt really bring everything that we needed, so we compensated (right word??).... but i understand where u are comin from

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Znug13 said:
but the truth is that this trip was spontaneous,
Speaking of spontaneous! I’m planning a trip for next month, spontaneous one, but for some reason I cant get anybody interested in Pisgah. I went a couple of years back and had an awesome time. I camped at a little place in the forest just down the park road from Brevard, one of the nicest camp grounds I have ever been to. I rode my bike to each of the trails i did except Laural Mountain, awesome awesome ride.
Looks like were going to end up in Moab.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
The Toninator said:
Speaking of spontaneous! I’m planning a trip for next month, spontaneous one, but for some reason I cant get anybody interested in Pisgah. I went a couple of years back and had an awesome time. I camped at a little place in the forest just down the park road from Brevard, one of the nicest camp grounds I have ever been to. I rode my bike to each of the trails i did except Laural Mountain, awesome awesome ride.
Looks like were going to end up in Moab.
I vote pisgah, you'll miss the trees in moab. These riding shots were taken on Slate Rock/Pilot Cove which is inside the Laurel Mountain/Pilot Rock loop, so we're right near there. Our campsite is a little over a mile from the exit of Pilot Rock, so its definitely in the heart of the good trails. I'm glad you had a good time over here, North Carolina's riding is sooo underrated, but I'd like to keep it that way. The only place I've ridden that can compare to this much singletrack in one area is Lake Tahoe.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Znug13 said:
i dont see what's so bad about putting the drinks in the very very slow moving water to cool them off????

I wouldn't worry too much about broken glass but I'd seriously worry about getting giardia or some other nasty bug. For instance, if you have a soda or a beer can, you know how you always get a little water in that crease between the lid and the side of the can? If the water is contaminated, that little bit of left over water is enough to get you really sick. A friend of mine got it by washing off an apple in the splash pool below Abrams Falls in the Smokies. That's all it took and it's not pleasant.

I'm sure the stream looks pristine enough, but if by chance you are camping in popular camping spot, the people there before you might not have followed good sanitary practices. The probability of catching a nasty bug is much higher. And you never know what bear shat upstream either. You might not have gotten sick this time, last time or the time before, but if you're not smart, it will catch up with you. I personally wouldn't risk it.

The unpleasant facts:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/giardiasis/factsht_giardia.htm

Oh yeah! Awesome pics as aways T-pirate. Keep up the good work.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
T-Pirate said:
I vote pisgah, you'll miss the trees in moab. These riding shots were taken on Slate Rock/Pilot Cove which is inside the Laurel Mountain/Pilot Rock loop, so we're right near there. Our campsite is a little over a mile from the exit of Pilot Rock, so its definitely in the heart of the good trails. I'm glad you had a good time over here, North Carolina's riding is sooo underrated, but I'd like to keep it that way. The only place I've ridden that can compare to this much singletrack in one area is Lake Tahoe.
i think your pisgah positive interjection (PPI) has influenced the decision making of our group and it now looks like were headed out there!

Znug13

Chimp
May 14, 2006
G-Vegas
PIsgah is definately the way to go!!! it's amazing!!! but that trip doesnt sound to spontaneous if ur planning it???? haha just messin with you!