Quantcast

Some thoughts on gay pride (and why I'm against it)

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
How about one day a year you shut the **** up and not say stupid ****. huh, you can have the other 364 to be a moron.

you fail to see the distinction between your choice and ones being. Why should, gays have to exist in a realm separate from everyone else. If you were so clearly all up on the moral high road you'd oppose playboy, swimsuit issues, the adult industry. But you dont. You've made it a point to launch a attack saying, "hey gays, stop being gay today."

Honestly do you know how stupid you are?
Oh yea, you mad bro.

Ummmm, I would be against putting up a centerfold billboard up on highway 80. You're missing the fact that I hold EVERYONE to the same standard as far as public decency...... I'm not telling them to stop being gay, I'm saying it may be in their best interest to not have sex in the street. I would also tell that to any strait person

It's a reasonable argument on the surface but there is a serious problem with that logic.

If the Pride celebrations were changed to be all PC an' such then they would just get ignored like the family values centered gay rallies that occur across the country already. Homophobes will still search out that event or venue where gay people are getting crazy and having a good time and say, "Hey look! This is what the gays are all about, leather and glitter and exposed nipples! BLASPHEMY!!".

So then we end up in a situation where the gay community has no place or time to be open and get wild. That's not cool.

Appeasement is not a reasonable strategy in this fight. If homophobes want to vote for stupid anti-gay laws out of fear and misunderstanding no one can stop them but lucky we have civil rights and the supreme court.
There's definitely a fine line, I feel like they make it to easy of a target

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Or are you lying to yourself in that there is a huge portion of the country MYSELF NOT INCLUDED who think "god hates fags"
I've been everywhere kid. Including these places you're referring too. Bigotry is not quarantined there. Some of the most racist and homophobic people I've ever met were in the east bay.

If you disagree with gay pride, then STFU. None of them are listening to you.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
So then we end up in a situation where the gay community has no place or time to be open and get wild. That's not cool.

Appeasement is not a reasonable strategy in this fight. If homophobes want to vote for stupid anti-gay laws out of fear and misunderstanding no one can stop them but lucky we have civil rights and the supreme court.
There are lots of places gay people can go to cut loose. Burning man, Bare to Breakers, Raves and pretty much everywhere anybody else would. I think civil rights is a serious issue. It's not appeasement to treat is as such.

Maybe I am wrong. Maybe MLK day should be:
http://tosh.comedycentral.com/video-clips/uncensored---video-breakdown---black-pool-party

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I've been everywhere kid. Including these places you're referring too. Bigotry is not quarantined there. Some of the most racist and homophobic people I've ever met were in the east bay.

If you disagree with gay pride, then STFU. None of them are listening to you.
Well there you go, my point stands, there are ton of morons who hate gay people

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Seriously, I find Pride Parades a little overt.

I can't help to chuckle when I see a bunch of dudes dancing in their skivvies.

Some might find men dancing offensive. Some might think it de-legitimizes gay marriage movement.

I also can see some people substituting "a bunch of dudes dancing in their skivvies" with "two men holding hands" or "two lesbians raising children". And instead of chuckling, they do something much worse.

I, for one, do not want to be associated with the anti-gay movement in any way.

Feel free to debate the intricacies and nuances of gay pride, but my only response is not to go to Market Street during the parade, mostly because I don't want to get stuck in traffic.

Last edited:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Oh yea, you mad bro.

Ummmm, I would be against putting up a centerfold billboard up on highway 80. You're missing the fact that I hold EVERYONE to the same standard as far as public decency...... I'm not telling them to stop being gay, I'm saying it may be in their best interest to not have sex in the street. I would also tell that to any strait person
My point being, no ones up in arms posting about all the ridiculous amounts of straight people on a daily basis that show affection or lust in public, but you make it a point to start this on gay pride weekend, then as a footnote add into that you dislike seeing straight people do it too.

If you think your teenage quips like you mad bro are going to affect my mental state and engrage me, your alot more naive and stupid than you lead on. Im a grown ass man, and deal with the issues at hand not your retarded ass internet slogans.

It still doesnt change the fact that your a fool.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
There are lots of places gay people can go to cut loose. Burning man, Bare to Breakers, Raves and pretty much everywhere anybody else would. I think civil rights is a serious issue. It's not appeasement to treat is as such.
I think we are disagreeing on the purpose of the Pride Parade. Here is a quote from the SF Pride website:

The annual Pride Celebration commemorates the rebellion of LGBT patrons of the Stonewall Inn in New York City’s Greenwich Village in response to a routine police raid on June 27, 1969. The following year, a "Gay-In" that took place on June 27, 1970 that was the early progenitor of the current Pride Celebration. Since 1972, the event has been held every year, though under various names: "Christopher Street West" in 1972, "Gay Freedom Day" from 1973 to 1980, then "International Lesbian & Gay Freedom Day Parade" from 1981 to 1994, and finally, its present appellation, San Francisco Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Pride Celebration.

Since its modest beginnings, San Francisco Pride has grown to be one the largest and most well-known Pride events in the world. Pride has come to symbolize several things: the long history of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer dignity, the freedom of all people to meaningfully and proudly express their sexual and gender identities, and the commitment of LGBT people to combating oppression. From this history of rebellion grew the mission of San Francisco LGBT Pride: to educate the World, celebrate our culture, commemorate our heritage, and liberate our people.
It's not just about civil rights and changing it just to impress some anti-gay crusaders out there would throw out all those other goals.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
If you're hated and oppressed and want to shake your wang in public for a few hours one day a year, have at it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
a jew who gets 8 days for his festival of lights...being stingy about 1 day for teh gheys.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
You know when a thread by TheMontashu starts with "Some thoughts" it's gonna be epic.

And by epic I mean retarded.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
I'll like to try a therapy on mooshoo called corrective rape, but in this instance it wont be rape to make him straight, well try and rape the dumb out of him. and by "we" I mean anyone whose willing to step up and take one for the team or has the money to pay someone who will.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
My point being, no ones up in arms posting about all the ridiculous amounts of straight people on a daily basis that show affection or lust in public, but you make it a point to start this on gay pride weekend, then as a footnote add into that you dislike seeing straight people do it too.

If you think your teenage quips like you mad bro are going to affect my mental state and engrage me, your alot more naive and stupid than you lead on. Im a grown ass man, and deal with the issues at hand not your retarded ass internet slogans.

It still doesnt change the fact that your a fool.
I'm not up in arms starting a movement about it, they were just some simple observations, that did indeed make you mad bro ;)

And yea I bring it up before pride because I'm hearing all my friends talk about how they are going to pride to party

It wasn't a foot note, it was a clear point a reiterated several times that you seemed to miss.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I think we are disagreeing on the purpose of the Pride Parade. Here is a quote from the SF Pride website:

It's not just about civil rights and changing it just to impress some anti-gay crusaders out there would throw out all those other goals.
It says to educate the world, and celebrate culture. The face they show is the face much of the country sees

If you're hated and oppressed and want to shake your wang in public for a few hours one day a year, have at it.
Come on guys, yes there is stigma, but this isn't ANYTHING close to the 60s and 70s gay rights movement. Fag bashing really is a thing of the past. I've seen plenty of wang hanging out in the street not during pride

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
"I have lot of gay friends" = "I have lots of black friends"= I can't possibly be a racist or discriminatory.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
It says to educate the world, and celebrate culture. The face they show is the face much of the country sees

Come on guys, yes there is stigma, but this isn't ANYTHING close to the 60s and 70s gay rights movement. Fag bashing really is a thing of the past. I've seen plenty of wang hanging out in the street not during pride
Pull your head out of your ass kid. Your level of ignorance is just astonishing.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
So, let me get this straight (no pun intended)...you dislike public displays of gay pride because the clothes, lack thereof, actions of others, etc, offends you? OK, that's cool. 1. Don't look. 2. I'm sure way back in the 1700's, those public displays of rebellion offended the sensibilities of those fine English colonist who just wanted to get along with England. That rebellion led to our Constitution which gives all people a right to parade, demonstrate, have a lifestyle that allows them the pursuit of happiness within the boundaries of current laws. You telling someone how to parade and celebrate is like us trying to tell you what to write and how to post. You don't like that, you can't see our POVs but yet, here you are, posting whatever comes to your mind. We don't like some of it so we have the option of an ignore button. See how this works?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
It has been a while since folks had a chance to beat up on Mooshoo.

Since the shorter version is essentially, "Gay pride parades seem counter productive." I guess I can agree with that. The level of acceptance has changed a lot since they started and maybe it would be best if the pride celebrations changed as well.

Maybe they should just have love parades so the heteros can piss off the fundies too.
I'm pretty sure that this is the one comment in this entire thread that adds *anything* to the discussion...

People's attitudes changed about gays when the stereotypical gay person went from this:

to this:

or this:

or this:

The in-your-face "we're here, we're queer, get used to it!" tactic is intentionally combative, and designed to offend people. Unfortunately it also often offends middle-of-the-road Americans who have the ability to vote, either directly or indirectly for (or often against) gay equality. It would be like all of America shaping their views on Puerto Ricans based solely on the Puerto Rican Parade.... The images of rational, normal people who happen to be gay, either in real life or portrayed on TV has done far more to help turn the opinion of Americans towards marriage equality. My mother (60ish, moderate Republican, Christian) said, when asked about gay marriage: "well, if those two little old ladies who have been together for 50 years want to get married, I really don't see anything wrong with it." Her view was influenced far more by the "ordinary Americans" than the in-your-face aggressive tactics.

That's my view, anyway. Oh, and let's post a Bawwwww picture of two elderly lesbians happily married, shall we?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
So, let me get this straight (no pun intended)...you dislike public displays of gay pride because the clothes, lack thereof, actions of others, etc, offends you? OK, that's cool. 1. Don't look. 2. I'm sure way back in the 1700's, those public displays of rebellion offended the sensibilities of those fine English colonist who just wanted to get along with England. That rebellion led to our Constitution which gives all people a right to parade, demonstrate, have a lifestyle that allows them the pursuit of happiness within the boundaries of current laws. You telling someone how to parade and celebrate is like us trying to tell you what to write and how to post. You don't like that, you can't see our POVs but yet, here you are, posting whatever comes to your mind. We don't like some of it so we have the option of an ignore button. See how this works?
You got it alll wrong CONGRATS!!!!! So glad you read what I said

I said my offense to seeing people have ANY displays of overtly public sex GAY OR STRAIT (Please Fvcking read guys this is getting mega old) I don't care for. But being that it DOESN'T EFFECT ME I really don't care that much.

Now I'ma spell it our real clearly again.

The christian right says gay people are immoral and bone willy nilly left and right, and the fore can't raise a family have kids bla bla bla, that's the big argument against gay marriage. My point is very simple, in that if your oppositions says you **** left and right and spread aids and bla bla bla. Then you have your groups one day to educate people as to what you're about and who you are (according to their website) and what do you do. EXACTLY the things that the religious right is going use use in an argument to prevent you from getting married.

If you want to get naked and bone in the street, wait for the folsom street fair. If you want to educate people as to who you are and what you're about day to day, don't run around naked boning each other. Because guess what, they are going to assume......

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
You got it alll wrong CONGRATS!!!!! So glad you read what I said

I said my offense to seeing people have ANY displays of overtly public sex GAY OR STRAIT (Please Fvcking read guys this is getting mega old) I don't care for. But being that it DOESN'T EFFECT ME I really don't care that much.

Now I'ma spell it our real clearly again.

The christian right says gay people are immoral and bone willy nilly left and right, and the fore can't raise a family have kids bla bla bla, that's the big argument against gay marriage. My point is very simple, in that if your oppositions says you **** left and right and spread aids and bla bla bla. Then you have your groups one day to educate people as to what you're about and who you are (according to their website) and what do you do. EXACTLY the things that the religious right is going use use in an argument to prevent you from getting married.

If you want to get naked and bone in the street, wait for the folsom street fair. If you want to educate people as to who you are and what you're about day to day, don't run around naked boning each other. Because guess what, they are going to assume......
Again, you're an idiot. Just stop now, damage control is over.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Instead what I feel would be much more effective, would be instead of for the gay community to take their pants off and get down. They should get into a suite or something nice, and parade down the street with that kid who they adopted who just got accepted to Standford.
I think you miss the point of a parade. If it was a total serious business parade like you suggest no one would come. As someone mentioned its a celebration of who they are. If their idea of fun is offensive for you it is your problem, not theirs. Especially since we can flip the scenario.

As for people claiming the people got convinced by serious celebrities etc etc not what you see on gay parades you are right but thats why there is nothing wrong with gay parades. Its like claiming people think all Irish are like you see them on st. Patrick day.

Last edited:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I think you miss the point of a parade. If it was a total serious business parade like you suggest no one would come. As someone mentioned its a celebration of who they are. If their idea of fun is offensive for you it is your problem, not theirs. Especially since we can flip the scenario. Also the Jesus freaks will never be convinced by parades. Peer pressure maybe but not from gay people.
I understand my aversion to public sex is my problem, and I'm OK with them doing what ever. I'm trying to point out that if they pander to the jesus freaks, then the "center" of the nation looks at the jesus freaks and goes "we don't see them basically having sex in the street" and they can get married. But as of now, the christian right has hours and hours of news clips of gay people basically getting it on in the street. Sure they will never be convinced, but they sure have allot of ammo to convince others with.

As soon as gay people can get married, I fully support public orgies (which I will not be attending) just to piss off the christian right.

Politics is a big game (especially in the US) and I'm trying to say it would do the gay community allot of good to play it. If they just saved the assless chaps for friday and saturday night (I don't care HOW much "oppression" you guys think go on, there's still 104 friday and satruday nights to let it all out on) and instead busted out the suite they would go allot farther in their argument with the middle of the country

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I understand my aversion to public sex is my problem, and I'm OK with them doing what ever. I'm trying to point out that if they pander to the jesus freaks, then the "center" of the nation looks at the jesus freaks and goes "we don't see them basically having sex in the street" and they can get married. But as of now, the christian right has hours and hours of news clips of gay people basically getting it on in the street. Sure they will never be convinced, but they sure have allot of ammo to convince others with.

As soon as gay people can get married, I fully support public orgies (which I will not be attending) just to piss off the christian right.

Politics is a big game (especially in the US) and I'm trying to say it would do the gay community allot of good to play it. If they just saved the assless chaps for friday and saturday night (I don't care HOW much "oppression" you guys think go on, there's still 104 friday and satruday nights to let it all out on) and instead busted out the suite they would go allot farther in their argument with the middle of the country
A lot, not allot. Knock it off.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I get from where you are comming but looking at the current state of politics if the orgies stop the right wing nuts will find something. Worse case scenario they will just come to the streets with - gays too our oxygenz signs.
Also again a one off parade is not really an argument for most people. If that was true my st patrick argument would stand most people people would think black people are all like Samuel L Jackson and Asians are like mr. Chow. What really will change their opinion is
1. familiarity so if gay people want to play politics they should come out
2. An end to the war on sex in the United States. Most of your country is so puritan Im surprised Islamic terrorists want to attack you instead of joining forces and bomb Silvio Berlusconi.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
You're going off the assumption the average American voter is at least as smart as me. And sadly, that's far from true

No Im not assuming that. Im assuming the stupid ones wont be convinced by any argument. Read the first 3 sentences of my post.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
No Im not assuming that. Im assuming the stupid ones wont be convinced by any argument. Read the first 3 sentences of my post.
Of course they will find something else to point out why gays shouldn't marry. But the reality is the christian right goes "they are sexual deviants, how can that situation be stable enough to raise a family in" (even though I'm convinced when you factor in 16 year old moms, the fact that gay people having children is allot harder actually leads to better prepared parents, and overall better off kids) and when you have dudes running around wang out in every major city on the day you have to show the world who you are.......

And dude, this is MERICA, I see a dude probably once a week holding a giant sign featuring the hitler obama, with a giant caption reading "socialist" below it. Logic and reason as so far out the window with these people it's ridicules

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Of course they will find something else to point out why gays shouldn't marry. But the reality is the christian right goes "they are sexual deviants, how can that situation be stable enough to raise a family in" (even though I'm convinced when you factor in 16 year old moms, the fact that gay people having children is allot harder actually leads to better prepared parents, and overall better off kids) and when you have dudes running around wang out in every major city on the day you have to show the world who you are.......

And dude, this is MERICA, I see a dude probably once a week holding a giant sign featuring the hitler obama, with a giant caption reading "socialist" below it. Logic and reason as so far out the window with these people it's ridicules
So whats your problem with the parade if your own posts point to the fact that they would claim homosexuals are deviants even if they were as booring as the tree channel? Obama tried to get a so called regular guy next door and it didnt give him nothing.