Quantcast

Some thoughts on gay pride (and why I'm against it)

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Oh lord, adult men in small bathsuits, I guess if these dudes were playing volleyball at the beach there wouldnt be a thread.

Seriously though, we encourage women to barely dress, yet find repulsion when men who like men do it. Seriously stupid. At least if your going to fake outrage dont cherry pick your arguments. If they violate some decency code that isnt biased towards discrimination then youve got a point, but you dont mooshoo

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
my redneck neighbor has no compunction about walking around w/o a shirt.

he's an ex regular army tbagger in his 50's

i'm going to start pumping bronski beat his way non-stop next time he does it

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
^^^^^ I'm assuming you didn't post the picture that's the 1st one in the group since it might have been NSFW?

(and probably would have made the exact point Moosheu was trying to make in the first place?)

or this one?

I'm sure that a guy in a gimp mask and speedo being led around on a leash helps advance the LGBTOMFGWTF crowd somehow...
You are right, but I'm not bothered by male bikinis or leather masks.

To me, it is just clothing. As long as the private parts are covered, my mind is intact.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
my redneck neighbor has no compunction about walking around w/o a shirt.

he's an ex regular army tbagger in his 50's

i'm going to start pumping bronski beat his way non-stop next time he does it
do you ever remember this song being played at the 9:30 club....

mildly nsfw....

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
^^^ i get vb & partsbara mixed up

but i have no clear memory of that; it was more bauhaus or blackflag

can't help but wonder if henry had his first dreams of grandeur from it.

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Oh lord, adult men in small bathsuits, I guess if these dudes were playing volleyball at the beach there wouldnt be a thread.
Did someone say gay beach volleyball??

You are right, but I'm not bothered by male bikinis or leather masks.

To me, it is just clothing. As long as the private parts are covered, my mind is intact.
Are you really indicative of the typical knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing redneck* Average American who (so far) has voted against marriage equality in 32-some-odd states?

I don't have a problem with it either. However, I *am* cognizant of the it does bother a large percentage of the population, and I'm trying to point out that a she-male leading a guy in a gimp bikini around on a leash turns off more people and ultimately hurts their drive for acceptance for something like marriage equality. I honestly wouldn't care how they acted if:

a) Their rights were guaranteed under the Constitution as opposed to voted on through either DOMA or through state bans on same-sex marriage *or*
b) If RM was indicative of the overall US population. We have (had) some nutjobs on both the right or the left, and while there are some more right-leaning people on here, in general we're either accepting moderates or trend to left on social issues. That's not how the rest of the country is.

Unfortunately RM is not a microcosm of the US at large, and everyone also gets a vote. If you can't see how deliberately offending people who get to vote on your equality is ultimately *not* helpful, then I really don't know what to say......

*"redneck" in this case is not geographically-specific, especially as noted in California's Prop 8 success in 2008. There are idiots everywhere...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Are you really indicative of the typical knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing redneck* Average American who (so far) has voted against marriage equality in 32-some-odd states?

I don't have a problem with it either. However, I *am* cognizant of the it does bother a large percentage of the population, and I'm trying to point out that a she-male leading a guy in a gimp bikini around on a leash turns off more people and ultimately hurts their drive for acceptance for something like marriage equality. I honestly wouldn't care how they acted if:

a) Their rights were guaranteed under the Constitution as opposed to voted on through either DOMA or through state bans on same-sex marriage *or*
b) If RM was indicative of the overall US population. We have (had) some nutjobs on both the right or the left, and while there are some more right-leaning people on here, in general we're either accepting moderates or trend to left on social issues. That's not how the rest of the country is.

Unfortunately RM is not a microcosm of the US at large, and everyone also gets a vote. If you can't see how deliberately offending people who get to vote on your equality is ultimately *not* helpful, then I really don't know what to say......

*"redneck" in this case is not geographically-specific, especially as noted in California's Prop 8 success in 2008. There are idiots everywhere...
I told the mooshoo in conversation that I'm not into defending points like this.

Yes, a bondage bikini is not going to fly in right wing circles. But if I worried what the religious right was concerned about, I would tell gays not to hold hands in public.

My thing is that the pride parades and the day-to-day families are two sides of the same coin. I accept both sides, and it is bad not to do so.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Yes, a bondage bikini is not going to fly in right wing circles. But if I worried what the religious right was concerned about, I would tell gays not to hold hands in public.
Do you *honestly* believe that it's only "right-wing circles" and the "religious right" who are a little disturbed by the bondagekini, and that no moderates, or left-leaning seniors are turned off by it? Or religiously-observant-but-Democrat-leaning minorities? California is one of the "bluest" states in the nation, and yet while BHO beat McCain by 61-37%, Prop 8 won by 52-48%. That's 9% of the electorate who voted for BHO *and* Prop 8. That's not just the "religious right" and "right wing circles".....

(or, to lie with statistics, 22+% of Obama's voters voted *for* Prop 8)

Advocating (legal) inclusion into society through marriage equality by parading a guy in a Speedo around on a leash is about as rational as Critical Mass riders demanding that cars treat them as legal and legitimate users of the road by riding the wrong way down a 1-way street while blowing stop lights and stop signs.

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
well put, dante (i'll bet the 9% are mostly blacks, also)

also, consider this: what cause is furthered by mardi gras? reality is, events do leave legacies, so what is margi gras' legacy? to celebrate catholicism? or any other spring break for that matter? were activities similar to these ever trotted out in order to usher in the 21st amendment?

it's exactly the same as a dog licking its balls: just b/c it can doesn't mean it should.

also, does anyone else believe val kilmer was separated at derp from eric stonestreet?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Do you *honestly* believe that it's only "right-wing circles" and the "religious right" who are a little disturbed by the bondagekini, and that no moderates, or left-leaning seniors are turned off by it? Or religiously-observant-but-Democrat-leaning minorities? California is one of the "bluest" states in the nation, and yet while BHO beat McCain by 61-37%, Prop 8 won by 52-48%. That's 9% of the electorate who voted for BHO *and* Prop 8. That's not just the "religious right" and "right wing circles".....

Advocating (legal) inclusion into society through marriage equality by parading a guy in a Speedo around on a leash is about as rational as Critical Mass riders demanding that cars treat them as legal and legitimate users of the road by riding the wrong way down a 1-way street while blowing stop lights and stop signs.
Ok, this is San Francisco now. The city ordinance governing nudity is putting down a towel when you use a public bench. Seriously.

I'm sure the gay pride parade of Tulsa [/ame]or [ame="http://youtu.be/_Kxe_wIAfTA""]Salt Lake City they keep their shirts and pants on.

And your Critical Mass argument is very poor. What if I organize a big, fully-permitted city ride, is that a good representation for cyclists?

When I see gay men and women parading around in their skivveys, I just think it must be hot there.

Feel free to keep defending bigots. I'm going to go out and try to convince them it is no big deal to be gay.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
"...defending bigots".

Are you serious? Are you really that ignorant of how public perception shapes ideology and viewpoints? Can you not grasp the agonizingly simple fact that as you try to convince people that "it's no big deal to be gay" that their opinion is probably shaped by the actions of gays and lesbians that they've seen in real life or in the media?

Never mind. Go talk to people and "try to convince them" that gay Americans are normal, ordinary Americans, but first show them a massively NSFW picture designed purely to offend them. Let me know what kind of reaction you get, and whether you're able to convince anyone.

Or you can just scream "bigot!!" at them as they slam the door in your face....

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i got tired of watching "the **** is on fire" streaming on all the local news channels, so i watched an episode of chicagolicious

balance.
restored.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
"...defending bigots".

Are you serious? Are you really that ignorant of how public perception shapes ideology and viewpoints? Can you not grasp the agonizingly simple fact that as you try to convince people that "it's no big deal to be gay" that their opinion is probably shaped by the actions of gays and lesbians that they've seen in real life or in the media?

Never mind. Go talk to people and "try to convince them" that gay Americans are normal, ordinary Americans, but first show them a massively NSFW picture designed purely to offend them. Let me know what kind of reaction you get, and whether you're able to convince anyone.

Or you can just scream "bigot!!" at them as they slam the door in your face....
First of all, you are agreeing with mooshoo. Congrats.

It wouldn't be too hard to create an anti-gay campaign from photos from SF Pride. I could also create an anti-straight campaign from photos from SF Love Fest as well.

Really, just because you can find a NSFW image from SF Pride doesn't mean anything. My advice to you or anyone else that might be offended is don't look.

Go talk to people and "try to convince them" that gay Americans are normal, ordinary Americans.

Dante, you seem like a nice person, so I won't make any more comments.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State

Must spread rep. :thumb:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
First of all, you are agreeing with mooshoo. Congrats.

It wouldn't be too hard to create an anti-gay campaign from photos from SF Pride. I could also create an anti-straight campaign from photos from SF Love Fest as well.

Really, just because you can find a NSFW image from SF Pride doesn't mean anything. My advice to you or anyone else that might be offended is don't look.

Go talk to people and "try to convince them" that gay Americans are normal, ordinary Americans.

Dante, you seem like a nice person, so I won't make any more comments.
Dont be that guy. He raises a similar point but in a more elaborate way. I dont agree with it but there is something to discuss. I still believe we should change how people view sexuality because that is what will change how they view homosexuals. The fact that puts many people off is that they are a group defined by their sexual preferences and that will sound wrong for some people no matter how quaint they are.Yes cleaning up their act may help improve the way people view the gay community but I dont think that is the way to go. We should make people more open, not conform to their stupid norms. No not in a fight the power, rage against the machine way.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Perception matters. Maybe it shouldn't, but it does. I think that is perhaps the point mooshoo was trying to make, no matter how catastrophically poorly. There is something to be said for making a point while maintaining your dignity.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I think the gay community should be able to present themselves however they see fit. It's their struggle and if prancing around in the streets one day a year (officially) assuages some of the pain then so be it. I don't think they do it to thank the fag-hags and enlightened straights for their support nor are they trying to win over the opposition; it's a time to let their normally (for most) subdued freak flags fly.

It's ultimately their fight and policing their image is solely their responsibility.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Jesus, I was thinking "when the hell did Travolta play Batman?!"
Stolen from the Random Pic thread, I think. :rofl:

<edit>Back on topic...

There was a good bit about the conservative backlash towards Oreo and they didn't cave.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My second wife was wicked homophobic mostly because she grew up in Grants Pass, OR. When she moved to Portland, it was a culture shock to say the least. But it wasn't until she got to know a co-worker of mine who was lesbian. I didn't tell Shari, I figured she would figure it out. They hit it off! Gardening, cooking, baking, talking up a storm! Then 3 months later at the holiday party, Shari met the partner. :rofl:

It took a while to sink in, but Shari came to the reality that if she didn't know "what went on in the bedroom", they ARE just like actual people! She still isn't a fan of the lifestyle, but she has met a few more gay folk and she isn't freaked out. But she also wouldn't be going to a pride parade, either.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
OMFG, did you notice that Oreo replaced WHITE America with GAY America, and left the brown (minorities) in place?

Soon there's just going to be gays and minorities!! :rant:
:panic:

There was a note somewhere that conservatives never liked the black touching the white, either.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
FYI, I spent a day discussing homosexuality with a born again Christian, one who knew I have a gay sister.

I didn't change his mind but otherwise it was a civil and pleasant conversation.

I won't participate in "what's appropriate for public consumption" real life discussion. Frankly it just panders to bigotry.

Without slamming Dante, I have to point my sister is not an normal American. As a gay person, she is a minority, and as a human being, she is exceptional.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i learned true bitter hatred and rage from the lesbians i worked with in nashville.

more than i could learn from listening to rush....:rofl:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i learned true bitter hatred and rage from the lesbians i worked with in nashville.

more than i could learn from listening to rush....:rofl:
There was a gal across the isle from me like that at the same place. Mullet, flannel, scary.

I do have to add that both were exceptional softball players.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
FYI - posting about gay people on an internet mountain bike forum makes you totally gay.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
no ****!!!!!!!!
is this really that hard to get?

i mean, pride parades are mostly for some guys who like to expose themselves and showoff, with a few respectable gay freedom-fighters sparkled in between.

just like naked bike rides are mostly for guys who like to prance around with their dicks out in public, with a few respectable people protesting for bike rights....