Quantcast

Some Time , My faith in Mt Bikers gets restored

splat

Nam I am
Well at least a little.

Thursday Night, some time during our Night ride , I lost my Cell phone, didn't noitice it was gone till Friday Morning. Saturday After noon, I get a call from some one , saying they found a Cell phone on the trail and this Number is listed as home, SO they left it for me at a local gas station where I picked it up about an hour later

Never got the name , but thanks!!!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
:thumb: Nice! I found a cell phone on the trail last season and I called the last called number and found out the guy was Navy and worked at the site with my husband. He tried to give me $ and I told him to pay it forward for someone else while we had a beer together!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Thats awesome! When I was 19 I got drunk and lost my wallet (I couldn't even begin to retrace my steps). The next day a jogger came to my house with said wallet.....I was very thankful

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I've found a few cell phones and I always call the entry named "Mom" or "Dad." The last phone I found was lost for a couple months and the kid was really excited to have it back.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
A few years ago I found former baseball pitcher Ricky Bottalico's ATM card on the ground outside our apartment complex. I returned it to the bank.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Rode some of my favorite trails this weekend and lost a lot of faith in my fellow mountain bikers. A section of roots was hacked out and a challenging rock garden has been de-rocked. Fvcking dirt roadies.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Rode some of my favorite trails this weekend and lost a lot of faith in my fellow mountain bikers. A section of roots was hacked out and a challenging rock garden has been de-rocked. Fvcking dirt roadies.
WHAT!?! Why don't they just make a sissy detour around it? Or even better, make a trail to the bike shop so they can stand around in their clipless shoes and talk about how much they spent on their bike instead of riding.

Glad to hear you got your wallet back. Lucky.

Don't even get me started. We had a trail day yesterday and one of our crew started sanitizing before we had even completed the trail segment. I chose not to start a squabble on the spot, but I wonder if I'm going to keep showing up.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
my iPhone was returned to me after I dropped it on an xc ride last year. They called my last-called #... I gave him a 6-pack of beer in exchange. :)

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I have found cell phones before when out riding, I always call Either home, mom, or dad an tell them I found the phone and offer to meet them at a location other than my home. Best one was one I found out camping at Pismo. The guy was from Northern California, Called the Home number, the guy was from Northern California, so I shipped it to him when I got home.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I found a cell phone on my ride yesterday but it had been run over by a car and didn't work. It was old school - didn't even flip open or anything.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I found a phone on a road ride last year which had obviously been left on somebody's car roof as they drove off (cover smashed, all scratched up). I picked it up and started riding off figuring I'd wait until after my ride to figure out what to do with it. While I was riding it rang so I answered. It was the guy who the phone belonged to. He asked me what I was doing with his phone and I told him how I found it in the street. He apparently didn't believe me and started cussing me out about how I stole his phone, etc, etc.

I was pretty close to just tossing it in the bushes, but I told him where he could find it, and rode off. What an ass.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Well at least a little.

Thursday Night, some time during our Night ride , I lost my Cell phone, didn't noitice it was gone till Friday Morning. Saturday After noon, I get a call from some one , saying they found a Cell phone on the trail and this Number is listed as home, SO they left it for me at a local gas station where I picked it up about an hour later

Never got the name , but thanks!!!
You'll probably have a ton of minutes to a 1-900 number.... or at least you'll be able to blame it on them.

EDIT: and I hope you wiped it down in case someone decided to stink phone you.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
Fvcking dirt roadies.
That the best new description I've heard in a long time. :clapping:

Back to the subject. A couple months ago, I was coming out of a starbucks parking lot and saw a wallet in the middle of the street. I contemplating leaving it there because I was late for work and didn't really want to deal with figuring out how to get it back to the owner. Then I thought to myself that the next person that sees it probably won't be as honest as me so I ought to do the right thing.

Well, after digging through the wallet, I finally found a phone number on a blank check, called it, and spoke to the guy's wife. She said she 'd come pick it up where I work. She showed up about an hour later and handed me a starbucks gift card for $100 when I handed her the wallet.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Similar good karma happened to me about 3 years ago. At the time I kept all my ID/cell phone in the saddle bag, and I was out for a romp around Fantasy Island here in Tucson. 17-miles later I get back to the trailhead to find that my pack had come undone and my ID/wallet and my cell-phone were gone.

I went back out on the trail... walking it mostly, looking for my stuff. Two-hours later I get back to the trailhead with no luck... only to find a random guy waiting for me. He must have guessed it was me by the forlorn look on my face. He found everything and waited 2 hours, asking everyone who came by.

I wanted to give the guy a reward or buy him a case of beer, but he just said no problem and rode away, saying he lived close by.

So if that guy is reading... I STILL want to buy you a beer!

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Don't even get me started. We had a trail day yesterday and one of our crew started sanitizing before we had even completed the trail segment. I chose not to start a squabble on the spot, but I wonder if I'm going to keep showing up.
shovels have more than one purpose you know...

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I found a phone on a road ride last year which had obviously been left on somebody's car roof as they drove off (cover smashed, all scratched up). I picked it up and started riding off figuring I'd wait until after my ride to figure out what to do with it. While I was riding it rang so I answered. It was the guy who the phone belonged to. He asked me what I was doing with his phone and I told him how I found it in the street. He apparently didn't believe me and started cussing me out about how I stole his phone, etc, etc.

I was pretty close to just tossing it in the bushes, but I told him where he could find it, and rode off. What an ass.

As soon as he started cussing you out, you should have fired the f-ing thing off into the woods. What a douche.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
A few days ago I was leaving work and pulled up to a red light. I look in front of me and this guy in a pick-up truck left his Nextel phone on his bumper. So as I'm about to get out of my truck to grab it to him and knock on his window, the light goes green. So at the next light, I try to speed up and go around him to flag him down. Turns out the jerk though I was being a jerk, and sped up and cut me off! At that point, I followed him (he was going my way anyway) and kept trying to catch up to him but he wouldn't let me. So I watched him drive 2 miles on the freeway, and the lucky sonnova'-B's phone never fell off his rear bumper.

Despite his turdy-ness, I hope he didn't lose his phone.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I've come to the conclusion that I am going to stop supporting my local club. Every hour I spend doing positive work like building a grade dip or cutting brush is one hour more they can divert resources to removing technical obstacles. Every dollar I give them is a dollar closer they get to buying a trail paving machine.

I've put in the effort to talk to people, I show up to work session and look like an asshole disagreeing with leadership. Other people feel the same way I do they just never speak up, don't want to ruin lovey dovey feel good thing the club has going on. There is just an attitude that if everyone can not ride it no will will have the chance to. That is something I can not support.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Another bikers saw somebody brake into my car and steal sun glasses, CD and wallet. Got the license plate of the duds car and let a note in my car. Called him when I got home, called the police who had already caught the guy as he was one of the usual suspects.

Funny thing is I mentioned my special sun glasses and the cop told me to wait a second. The dude still had them on and had not told the cops they were stolen. It was a little wired when I picked up my stuff as several CDs were burned copies :redface: