Quantcast

Some times i hate working for Performance

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
That’s right I work for Performance. I know what every one thinks but it’s the only bike shop in the area I can work part time at. It’s the only one with evening hours. So we got the word today no more Giant. They are replacing Giant with Mongoose and Dimand Back. I cant believe im going to have to sell that crap. What the hell are they thinking. Why don’t they just hang a Wal-Mart sign up and be dun with it? So now I have to decide if I’m going to stay. Seams kind of stupid if we wont have any bikes I want. Its not like I’m making a lot of money.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
haha... yeah I just found out and have already bought a ton of Giant and Jamis bikes....Ebay is going to be good in the next few months :thumb:

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
You sound like you're there because you like being around bikes, they work with your schedule, and you get the benefits that come with working in a bike shop... it's just disappointing that you can't sell people the kind of bikes you would want to be riding.

Remember that some people are happy with a Mongoose. I know I loved my Huffy back in the day... :)

Also, honest employment is honest employment. As long as you are working hard, especially in a job that promotes healthy living, don't feel like you have to justify where you work to anyone.

Here's my suggestion:
--make a list of the benefits to employment there (get to work in a bike shop, get to EP cool stuff, get to help someone purchase his first bike...)

--then make a list of the things you don't like (lack of high-end bikes, loss of "hometown bike shop" feel...)

--ask yourself 1) if the benefits make it worth putting up with the detractions, and 2) if you can do anything to minimize or eliminate those detractions (e.g., regain the "hometown bike shop" feel by scheduling group shop rides twice a week and then hand out ride schedules to all your customers)

--once you see this on paper, your decision will be easier.

Best of luck!
-sunny

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
Ask dexterq20 about working for them. He hadn't gotten a raise in like the 2+ years he was there and was easily a year and a half over due for one..poor kid..oh well, daddy pays for everything.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
manziman said:
Ask dexterq20 about working for them. He hadn't gotten a raise in like the 2+ years he was there and was easily a year and a half over due for one..poor kid..oh well, daddy pays for everything.
squeaky wheel gets the grease...no way I would work for 2 years without a raise!!!...D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
manziman said:
Ben is a rich boy?!?!?!? I knew it !!!!!!

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Pulser955 said:
That’s right I work for Performance. I know what every one thinks but it’s the only bike shop in the area I can work part time at. It’s the only one with evening hours. So we got the word today no more Giant. They are replacing Giant with Mongoose and Dimand Back. I cant believe im going to have to sell that crap. What the hell are they thinking. Why don’t they just hang a Wal-Mart sign up and be dun with it? So now I have to decide if I’m going to stay. Seams kind of stupid if we wont have any bikes I want. Its not like I’m making a lot of money.
Watch out b/c I'm gonna go on a preachy rant here...

Knowing the Performance organization very well, they are smart people making appropriate business decisions to efficiently and effectively operate their company. Not to bag on you but, you seem young and not yet educated on these things in business life.

To be honest, there is nothing wrong with most of the mid and highend Diamond Back or Mongoose bikes. Not many years ago Giant was considered by many to be a "lower end" brand in a similar position as DB or Mongoose is seen now. Many of them are outstanding deals for the money and hold their own quite well in comparison to Giants. I know the guys in the product dept at both companies and they know their stuff. Most of them are shredders who can throw down on the trail.

Also, don't be such a brand whore and look at the value of the product you are selling. It will benefit both you and your customers. Sell the product your customer needs/wants NOT what you want to ride. This is where many IBD guys go down in flames. It causes a bad cycling and retail experience for your customer.

Performance still carries or has access to all of the same highend components, clothing, and accessories. It's just replacing one brand of bike with another. For bikes, what's wrong with an Azure, MkIII, 7POINT, or Sunday? Those are all proven highend products that are available to Performance employees.

-ska todd

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
sunny said:
You sound like you're there because you like being around bikes, they work with your schedule, and you get the benefits that come with working in a bike shop... it's just disappointing that you can't sell people the kind of bikes you would want to be riding.

Remember that some people are happy with a Mongoose. I know I loved my Huffy back in the day... :)

Also, honest employment is honest employment. As long as you are working hard, especially in a job that promotes healthy living, don't feel like you have to justify where you work to anyone.

Here's my suggestion:
--make a list of the benefits to employment there (get to work in a bike shop, get to EP cool stuff, get to help someone purchase his first bike...)

--then make a list of the things you don't like (lack of high-end bikes, loss of "hometown bike shop" feel...)

--ask yourself 1) if the benefits make it worth putting up with the detractions, and 2) if you can do anything to minimize or eliminate those detractions (e.g., regain the "hometown bike shop" feel by scheduling group shop rides twice a week and then hand out ride schedules to all your customers)

--once you see this on paper, your decision will be easier.

Best of luck!
-sunny
Thanks that’s kind of how I’m looking at it. I have worked for them for 5 years now and I have seen a lot of changes. I still like being around bikes and working on them. It just really sux when you work at a shop the doesn’t have any bikes I want. I may talk to my store manager and see if I can get off the sails floor and back in to the shop. That’s ware I started any way.

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
ska todd said:

Knowing the Performance organization very well, they are smart people making appropriate business decisions to efficiently and effectively operate their company. Not to bag on you but, you seem young and not yet educated on these things in business life.

To be honest, there is nothing wrong with most of the mid and highend Diamond Back or Mongoose bikes. Not many years ago Giant was considered by many to be a "lower end" brand in a similar position as DB or Mongoose is seen now. Many of them are outstanding deals for the money and hold their own quite well in comparison to Giants. I know the guys in the product dept at both companies and they know their stuff. Most of them are shredders who can throw down on the trail.

Also, don't be such a brand whore and look at the value of the product you are selling. It will benefit both you and your customers. Sell the product your customer needs/wants NOT what you want to ride. This is where many IBD guys go down in flames. It causes a bad cycling and retail experience for your customer.

Performance still carries or has access to all of the same highend components, clothing, and accessories. It's just replacing one brand of bike with another. For bikes, what's wrong with an Azure, MkIII, 7POINT, or Sunday? Those are all proven highend products that are available to Performance employees.

-ska todd

I’m actually not young at all I’m 31 I have been in the bike industry for 10 years. 5 of them with performance. I’m not a brand snob at all I feel Giant was the best bike for the money that we had. And they had bikes to fit every ones needs. Nothing agenst Iron Horse but I think they have a few years to go before they get there bikes up to what I’m looking for. I have 2 outstanding mountain bikes so that’s not a problem. We will no longer have a good high end road bike any more. I think is a big mistake to go bed with a company like Pacific. The biggest problem is Performance want to have all of there product available online. That crates a few problems when its bikes. What does a costumer do when they buy a bike online but don’t live near any stores. Now they are out of the dealer support network. As a store we have spent the last 2 years trying to bring in the high end customer and meet there needs. And performance as a company has but up road block after road block. Now is going to be impossible to do that and we will probably lose the customer base we have started to build. The last part of my complaint is we have a double points weekend coming up and we have been told we cant order any Giants what is in the store is it. The Mongooses and Dimand Backs aren’t available yet. How the Hell do I sell bikes I cant get and don’t have?

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
I kinda have to agree to todd on that one... its s business decision. MOST casual bike riders aren't going to see a huge difference between diamondback, mongoose, or giant, other than wanting a bike that they can learn on or whatever. Someone who knows more about the bikes is going to persue the bike they really want because they'll know more about the bike, and will get it wherever sells them.

granted I'm not in the bike industry, but it sounds like performance switching brands isn't a completely bad idea if they end up selling more bikes, and have a better profit margin. After all, that's what its about. I would still go to a LBS to get a diamondback (if I were actually looking for one) instead of walmart, because when it comes down to it, you pay for the expertise. As far as selling online, that's how I bought my last bike (best price), and alot of companies are selling that way now, because, as I mentioned before, companies are in the business they are in to MAKE MONEY. Not just operate for the fun of it.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
being very close with a bike store owner I have learned a lot about the business. While the store makes good money on a high end bike, over all they make more money on the entry/mid lever bikes. why?? well because for every DH bike that is sold 15-20 entry levels are sold. most prophet comes from accesories. being what it is.... I agree with most on this post that it was a decision by Performance to bring in some quality bikes that can and will make more money
as far as the job is concerned.. start looking for a new one if you like.. but i wouldnt leave until you find another. just remeber the grass is always greener on the other side.

J

JRB

A good salesman can sell anything.

*when asked if they could sell a different chair we have, a dealer said, "if it keeps them off of the floor, I can sell it".

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
ska todd said:

-ska todd
I would have to strongly disagree with branding. While every Giant bike under $1200 is no different than any other brand, they have invested time and money developing their high end road and mountain lines. Whether you like Maestro or TCR, you have to tip your hat to Giant's R & D.

Diamondback and Mongoose mountain bikes at the high end are at best "value bikes" or what I like to call "part hangers". Even simpler designs like hardtails are not as good as the majors, because the QC is not there.

And would you ever consider buying a Mongoose road bike?

Bike shops are a combination of the shop itself and brands they carry. I am in process of negotiating for a new high end mountain bike dealership, and I point out the high end brands we carry already, like Seven and Cannondale. We have to maintain a high standard in order to sell these bikes effectively, which keeps us a dealer in these lines.

If Performance was not a huge company, I doubt many of their mall stores would stay open.

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
sanjuro said:
I would have to strongly disagree with branding. While every Giant bike under $1200 is no different than any other brand, they have invested time and money developing their high end road and mountain lines. Whether you like Maestro or TCR, you have to tip your hat to Giant's R & D.

Diamondback and Mongoose mountain bikes at the high end are at best "value bikes" or what I like to call "part hangers". Even simpler designs like hardtails are not as good as the majors, because the QC is not there.

And would you ever consider buying a Mongoose road bike?

Bike shops are a combination of the shop itself and brands they carry. I am in process of negotiating for a new high end mountain bike dealership, and I point out the high end brands we carry already, like Seven and Cannondale. We have to maintain a high standard in order to sell these bikes effectively, which keeps us a dealer in these lines.

If Performance was not a huge company, I doubt many of their mall stores would stay open.

I have to agree with you on all points. With out a dought Giant has some of the nicest high end bikes out there. And they definitely have the best engineered carbon frames available. What our corporate heads have dun is make it a lot harder to for us to meet the needs of a hole segment of the bike buying public. And its a lot harder to gain any respect with the locals when your really selling crap bikes with pore quality. After talking with a friend of mine that works at the other store in this state we kind of think something is going to happen. Performance has never liked the service end of the bike stores. We kind of think they want to tank the bike sales so they have an excuse to get rid of the service departments and just sell every thing eals. After all thats ware we make our money. The bikes have always been a way to get people in the door.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i was disappointed with the Performance in Fremont. their mechanic was an asshole, as was the manager.

not relevent, i know.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
the Inbred said:
i was disappointed with the Performance in Fremont. their mechanic was an asshole, as was the manager.

not relevent, i know.
I should be glad that Performance is shooting themselves in the foot. The two I have been to were miserable places.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
Giant, Performance End Ten-Year Partnership

JULY 29, 2005 -- NEWBURY PARK, CA (BRAIN)—Giant bicycles and accessories will no longer be sold through the retail giant Performance and its 10-store Supergo chain. Performance and Giant formalized their split this week; however, the move has been in the making for some months as the companies’ business goals have diverged.

“After ten years of a solid relationship, we’re going our separate ways and we wish them the very best,” said Giant USA president Skip Hess.

Performance has 51 retail stores, 10 Supergo locations and plans for further national expansion. Giant USA, for its part, has plans for positioning its brand further up market and maximizing margins for specialty retailers.

“At a time when Giant’s product line, sales force and marketing program have reached premium status, we’re ready to move on. This decision supports our core goal of remaining dedicated to our loyal dealers while also creating new opportunities for retailers interested in working with Giant,” said Giant USA’s director of sales Steve Boyd.

Performance spokespeople could not be immediately reached for comment.

For the complete story, read the Aug. 15 Bicycle Retailer and Industry News.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
I just got the news Friday that Supergo is no longer carrying Specialized product and will be replaced with GT/Schwinn/Mongoose aka the Pacific Group.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
As Joe Consumer, I have no idea how the "Industry" works ... BUT, is this not the best news ever for the LBS?!?!?! If one of the the largest supplier of online sales goes for the bottom end, that can't be nothing but love for the local guys. Granted, comfort bikes generate the most cash, do those shoppers really go online? Am I being optimistic, or is Performance/SuperGo/PricePoint dropping Giant/SpecialEd really a good thing for the industry as a whole?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
not to play devil's advocate but I actually bought a mongoose BMX bike from a LBS (not performance or supergo) about a year ago. I knew I wouldn't ride it much when I bought it so my purchase was heavily determined by price. what it came down to was I could get a low end haro with 1 piece cranks, a hi-tensile steel frame, cheap rims, tires and chintzy hubs, or for a few dollars less I could get the Mongoose which has a full chromoly frame, 3 piece cranks, name brand rims (although they're mid grade at best) and hubs that would be found on a Haro branded bike costing $100 more. I wouldn't bother with diamondback or Mongoose for any bike I am passionate about, but for a bike to ride at the beach or to take with me on a family vacation where ridding won't be a priority, which is why most bikes are purchased, these low end brands do offer a lot of value. Sure you may sacrifice some quality in the frame, but at least the componets will match the quality of the frame and will all fall apart at the same time, which hopefully will be about the time the owner is ready for a nicer bike anyway.

I don't think performance will have any trouble selling mongoose and schwin, it will just depend on how well the sales people can suck it up and promote their merchandise. There's nothing in my mind that makes a mongoose inferior to a low end giant or specialized besides name.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I forgot to add, I'd hate working at Performance too if I were you.

At the end of the day, a job is just a job, whether or not it's at a bike shop or in an office building.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Carbon Fetish said:
I just got the news Friday that Supergo is no longer carrying Specialized product and will be replaced with GT/Schwinn/Mongoose aka the Pacific Group.

Are you serious? That sucks. Ilive about two miles from a superblo, their mechanics suck, their management sucks, but it was a place to get a good price on a bike, and I do my own wrenching.