Quantcast

Some winter motivation

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
sanjuro said:
I also proud to say, of the people with 50 or more miles this year, I am the slowest with a 5.84 mph average.

haha

its not realy fair to compare mtn bike miles on technical trails to otheres who only do group road rides

druber

Chimp
May 23, 2005
douglas said:
haha

its not realy fair to compare mtn bike miles on technical trails to otheres who only do group road rides
I finally got my avg speed into the double digits. The commuting has really helped there.

On the trails I ride, I rarely average more than 5-6 mph...and that's if it's not a social paced ride.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It's the commuting. I use a mtn bike which I put 1.5 slicks. I was even thinking about putting back on the Hookworms, so I go a little nutty on my rides...

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
douglas said:
haha

True Dat, when I start do more MTB'ing( as soon as all the wackos with guns are out of the woods) my average speed will drop some, but will stay above double digits......

druber

Chimp
May 23, 2005
douglas said:
3 hours today......on the mtn bike...outside!!!
Yep...I got 5 hours on the bike and 34 miles on the legs on some sweet singletrack.

For the first time in probably years, I had an appreciable ride 7 days in a row. My ass is chapped! :p

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
douglas said:
haha

It should be tracked by time. Miles are stupid. I can put 3 times the miles on a road ride in the same time compared to some of the local trails.

I got 3.5 hours in on the trails yesterday. :blah:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I did some painful standing hill repeats with Tweek today. I have no idea how far we went or how long it took though. :think: so i estimated low :p

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
sanjuro said:
It's the commuting. I use a mtn bike which I put 1.5 slicks. I was even thinking about putting back on the Hookworms, so I go a little nutty on my rides...
how long is your commute? hookworms are ungodly heavy. :dead:

it would be a good training tool, though.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
narlus said:
how long is your commute? hookworms are ungodly heavy. :dead:

it would be a good training tool, though.
10 miles total, but the ride to the SF Caltrain station is deadly, through major construction, warehouses, and a funky-smelling storage lot.

The Specialized Nimbus Armadillos do a great job, but I am a little nervous about doing staircases and drops on these tires.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Heidi said:
LMAO - each one of my studded tires is 950 grams!
i bet the hookworms are not far off that weight. they have double-ply casing, are 2.5" in width and are just beefy all-around. getting them on and off rims is a goddam nightmare sometimes.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
narlus said:
you gotta remember, heavy tires mean something entirely different to downhillers. :)

Oh I know, I just thought mine were ridiculously heavy to be commuting on. When winter is over I'll be back to my light as a feather DEAN cross bike though :)

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
splat said:
yeah last week the silver turtle , put Nokian 296's on his SX trail and said those tires were actually lighter than his regular tires .

on a Different note.

am I the only one who only enters Real mileage ? on either the dirt or road.
"Real" Mileage as opposed too??

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
splat said:
am I the only one who only enters Real mileage ? on either the dirt or road.
Nope. I have no computers on my bike so all miles are guesses. As I have said before miles are a stupid thing to track. Two hours in tight muddy technical singletrack can get you less than ten miles while a group road ride in the flats can net four times as much. I personally use hours as a the measurement to track. If you want to track performance progress the best thing to do some sort of time trial that has little outside variability.

splat

Nam I am
When I say Real Miles , I mean Miles actually out riding ? and I have to guess at my off road miles ( unless I'm carryingthe GPS ) . my road Miles I havea Cyclo computer.

I don't coun't Miles on The trainer, rollers or exercize bike.

even time trials have lots a variability. ( and I am building a TT bike , see the road thread on that ) But they are tough and fun. when I commute in the morning I treat it as a time trial quite often.

BTW:I'm Listed as John G

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
no, i am in the westy camp. no miles logged for trainer use, and duration/avg heart rate is probably a better measure of exertion.

that said, i finally did get out on the road yesterday. rode for about 50 minutes, and felt pretty good (aside from my 'nads freezing).

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I got computers on both my Road an MTB, and I haven't logged any training miles this year I am only logging actual miles outside on a bike,
logged under Robb A.......

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Copied from My log, all real miles..............

01/29/2006
Road Training 01:30:04 28.45 18.95 0 nice group ride starting at Pinnacle Mountain, road with Bruce from Chainwheel.... can you believe it's january it was 70 degrees today
01/28/2006
Road Training 01:38:36 30.27 18.42 0 Got rained on during the last 7 miles I was hoping to beat it but oh well we need the rain...
01/27/2006
Road Training 00:50:23 17.33 20.64 0 qwick spin on the river
01/24/2006
Road Training 02:16:32 40.41 17.76 0 sunny62 degrees, did I nice climb , with a 45mph descent. Did the river trails
01/21/2006
Road Training 02:49:47 50.89 17.98 0 Sunny wrm and Breezy Solo- Ride to Toad Suck Lock and Damn
01/19/2006
Road Training 01:59:22 35.09 17.64 0 Windy day but sunny and warm rode the river trail, all this solo riding in the wind should payoff...
01/17/2006
Road Training 01:02:17 17.32 16.69 0 Damn it was cold and windy and it started sleeting on me at The River Trails
01/15/2006
Road Training 01:00:15 15.55 15.49 0 Hill climb up Thornburg Mountain
01/14/2006
Road Training 01:38:19 30.23 18.45 0 Bigelow loop cool below 50 sunny solo ride
01/11/2006
Road Training 01:59:33 33.58 16.85 0 Took a long lunch Today (played hookie) it was 60 and sunny a real treat in Jan. knocke out a nice ride using the Little Rock & North Little Rock river trails.
01/08/2006
Road Training 01:42:21 30.73 18.01 0 Solo Ride very windy,,could of used a paceline
01/07/2006
Road Training 01:00:17 15.55 15.48 0 Windy Climbed Thornburg Mtn. Top speed 42.6 I wussed could have gone faster

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I hear ya splat... i think all except one entry are "real" rides. I cant stand gym bikes, and i got rid of my trainer.... and i hate it that my average goes way down when I ride the dirt!!!!!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I log everyting, for me its the best way to compare what I did this week with last week; and next year it will be how I can compare what I did in Jan 06 compared to Jan 05

and I agree w/Westy - hours are more important than miles

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I've said it from the start - hours are the real focus here, not miles. Yes when I ride road I can ride more miles in the same time as I ride mountain. That's why the focus should be on time and not miles. I agree with whoever said the piece about TT's. It is a good idea to do a starting TT effort as a baseline judge of performance, and then follow it up each month to see how much/if you have improved. I used to do a that in November, and then each month thereafter to adjust training heart rate zones and track progress. I really don't see what you guys have against logging trainer time, those are some very valuable workouts. I think the issue here is that some people are too concerned with everyone else. Training is your own.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
today is so nice here.. id love to get some time on the bike!! that is if my head stops ringing... it always bothers me when the sun is out, the weather is nice and i cant ride.. i feel like i've missed out

druber

Chimp
May 23, 2005
All of my miles are outside on a bike.

Does it count as a time trial if I time my commute everyday? Unfortunately, it seems like the traffic lights dictate my time more than my legs. I can hammer it one day and be unlucky on the lights and have the same time as another day where I loaf it and hit all the lights.

So...what are you guys training for? MTB racing? Road racing? Triathlons?

Me...I'm planning on doing my first triathlon April 9th. I've started spending more time in the pool and running. I hope that doesn't cut into my ride time.

-EricS

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
druber said:
All of my miles are outside on a bike.

Does it count as a time trial if I time my commute everyday? Unfortunately, it seems like the traffic lights dictate my time more than my legs. I can hammer it one day and be unlucky on the lights and have the same time as another day where I loaf it and hit all the lights.

Me...I'm planning on doing my first triathlon April 9th. I've started spending more time in the pool and running. I hope that doesn't cut into my ride time.

-EricS
im just training to be a stronger rider come summer time..
did you join Mycyclinglog.com?? you can join the ridemonkey groupd and add into our total miles... check out the first few pages of this thread on how to do so

druber

Chimp
May 23, 2005
hooples3 said:
im just training to be a stronger rider come summer time..
did you join Mycyclinglog.com?? you can join the ridemonkey groupd and add into our total miles... check out the first few pages of this thread on how to do so
I did. I'm EricS in the ridemonkey group on mycyclinglog.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
druber said:
Tour de France.

actually i just wanna lose some weight and build enough fitness so that my legs are lungs are strong enough for when my mtb trip occurs.