Quantcast

Some winter motivation

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Well, if you want to get as accurate a test as possible, you should try to find a more controlled envirnment. Like, a stretch of road where there are no lights and you don't have to stop and go. It doesn't have to be super far, you can use any distance...I like to do at least 3 miles. You really want to go all out at as even a pace as possible for the full distance. Then you can log your time, average speed, average heart rate, and max heart rate. Do that each month and you should see an improvement in the numbers.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Heidi said:
I've said it from the start - hours are the real focus here, not miles. Yes when I ride road I can ride more miles in the same time as I ride mountain. That's why the focus should be on time and not miles. I agree with whoever said the piece about TT's. It is a good idea to do a starting TT effort as a baseline judge of performance, and then follow it up each month to see how much/if you have improved. I used to do a that in November, and then each month thereafter to adjust training heart rate zones and track progress. I really don't see what you guys have against logging trainer time, those are some very valuable workouts. I think the issue here is that some people are too concerned with everyone else. Training is your own.

I agree - I put in 6 1/2 hours over the w/e (none outside) and if someone thinks that shouldn't count then they can......oh wait, its pg-13 here! :D

I like the TT idea, but how do you account for a windy or "lead legs" day ? maybe just wait for similar conditions day

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
douglas said:
I agree - I put in 6 1/2 hours over the w/e (none outside) and if someone thinks that shouldn't count then they can......oh wait, its pg-13 here! :D

I like the TT idea, but how do you account for a windy or "lead legs" day ? maybe just wait for similar conditions day
I like to do it on a similar condition day, and on the day in my training week that is either after an active rest day, or a day off. You want to keep as much the same between the tests. Why not just do it inside? Well, your heart rate is definitely different on an outside ride than an inside ride. And since most of my training was outdoors, I wanted to get heart rate zones setup based on actual outside tests. How confusing did I just make that sound :) I can never get my heart rate very high on a trainer. It takes an act of god to get my heart rate high.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
good point. how many of these groups are in more temperate climes? at this stage of the year, riding after work or commuting isn't much of an option.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
wtf? check out this guy from group in 2nd

01/25/2006 Road Training 03:15:00 108.00 33.23 150.00
Was a hard ride today, soaked after the stop from Langley. Not enough sleep and no breakfast took its toll.

33.23 mph average on a century?? I say BS

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
started spring training last night..I found a decent training program for on the bike and plan to stick with it I hope two things hold up... the weather and my desire to be stronger.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Pure and simple if we ever plan on seeing that #1 spot again we need to recruit more riders, those Coastal Fockers have almost double our membership,,,,,,

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
bluebug32 said:
I don't know about anyone else, but I've had close to no motivation to get the trainer. I was kicking ass until Feb. and now it's just all gone downhill
my personal goal is to be in good to great shape for my summer NC trip to tsali/pisgah, and to stomp my California buddy (who has the benefit of being in year-round great weather and no children responsibilities) on the climbs. everytime i think of slacking, i put his face in my mind's eye and get to work.

:D

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
narlus said:
my personal goal is to be in good to great shape for my summer NC trip to tsali/pisgah, and to stomp my California buddy (who has the benefit of being in year-round great weather and no children responsibilities) on the climbs. everytime i think of slacking, i put his face in my mind's eye and get to work.

:D
Come to think of it, I would like to kick some Stosh ass come Spring :)

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
I finally got over being sick.:mad: Stupid cold/flu whatever I had.

I updated it with my miniscule amount of riding that I have. More to come soon I hope. 70 degrees out tomorrow!! :thumb:

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Morryjg said:
I finally got over being sick.:mad: Stupid cold/flu whatever I had.

I updated it with my miniscule amount of riding that I have. More to come soon I hope. 70 degrees out tomorrow!! :thumb:
Have a sweet ride for all of us Northerners who are suffering from the single digits!:mumble:

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
Finally got myself on there (thanx to Beth). I can already see the added motivation to keep my volume going this year by making things public. February has been kind to us Cali velo types. Looking forward to seeing a jump in the stats when the east coast contingent breaks out of winter. Good riding to everyone! BTW, I'm Cliff S on that site.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
cliffster5 said:
Finally got myself on there (thanx to Beth). I can already see the added motivation to keep my volume going this year by making things public. February has been kind to us Cali velo types. Looking forward to seeing a jump in the stats when the east coast contingent breaks out of winter. Good riding to everyone! BTW, I'm Cliff S on that site.
Awesome. Enjoy!

And the biking's pretty sweet in the Hudson Valley if you ever want to come back for a visit (prob. changed a lot!)

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Did 32 miles last night after work. Bonked a bit in the last couple miles. Teach me to not get out on a ride w/o any goo or anythinng. I hate those first long(ish) rides of the year that makes you feel like death.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Morryjg said:
Did 32 miles last night after work. Bonked a bit in the last couple miles. Teach me to not get out on a ride w/o any goo or anythinng. I hate those first long(ish) rides of the year that makes you feel like death.
I hear that....I still can't wait to get out this weekend though, even if it feels like I'll die on the way home

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, I have up my miles in the 2nd training cycle for this year. I noticed my neck is starting to stiffen a bit, but I think I will try to switch to the mountain bike in hopes a more upright position fixes it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'm still gonna hit spin class up at least once a week, i think. easy, fast way to get a good work out.

but riding the trails yesterday was fun, no doubt about it.