Quantcast

Some winter motivation

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
bluebug32 said:
When you guys ride your trainers, what gears and resistance levels do you use?
I use a 24 spd mtb hardtail on mine, spend most of my time in 24th with a resistance of 2 (out of 7)

I havent been spending much time standing but when I do I stay in 24 and up the resistance to 5or6.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
bluebug32 said:
I have to use the videos...

Mostly I use the Spinervals videos. I find it easier to concentrate and get a better workout. I'm setting up a once a week night in my garage for a few of my buds.

Every little bit of motivation helps.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
bluebug32 said:
It varies widely...depends what I'm focusing on. Sometimes I'll do big gear time trial efforts, sometimes I'll do spinups, sometimes I'll just spin.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I use my Road bike on Rollers mostly I spin but sometimes I will do sprints, always while watching the speed channel....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
bluebug32 said:
I use a trainer with adjustable resistance, I keep the bike in a higher gear to make a smoother pedal stroke.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
bluebug32 said:
What's the speed channel?
Its a channel that only shows Motorsports racing, I put on Speed Channel, slip in some cool music crank the volume and away I pedal.

But its been really warm this week so I am getting more bike time than I would have thought, I am riding today it will be 60 at noon, not bad eh.....

also doing a 45 mile group ride Sat. I wanted a New Years Day Ride to start the year off, but everyone else is afraid to ride hung over.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Westy said:
I'm declaring myself the "hours" champion of RM this week with 8 hours and 1 minute of training and calling out the rest of you, especially fellow "Beasts from the East" members, to kick my ass next week.:help:

week of 25th to 31st, I had 530 minutes of cardio

what did you have?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I'm happy to report that we are in the lead with 16 members, though we're slacking majorly behind the group with 14 members on our milage. Coach bluebug says we need to kick it up a notch, people. Heidi and Doug, you've been slackin'!

;)

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
bluebug32 said:
I'm happy to report that we are in the lead with 16 members, though we're slacking majorly behind the group with 14 members on our milage. Coach bluebug says we need to kick it up a notch, people. Heidi and Doug, you've been slackin'!
;)
I blame the flu. I'll try to kick it up a notch this week coach. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'll be putting in some good time this week, but only because next week I will be suffering through 14 hours of meetings/day during a sales meeting.

druber

Chimp
May 23, 2005
So...as a newbie to RideMonkey and a casual rider looking to get more serious, can I still join this group?

I trained/raced quite a bit a couple of years ago (XC only). Then I had a kid. Now I'm looking to drop a couple of pounds and start doing a couple of races again (XC and triathlon).

I thought the cycling log site looked really cool, but I definitely think it would help to be part of a group.

Most of my miles will be XC or commuting. I often do slow, technical type riding so my distance and avg speed will be low. I ride a Hammerhead or generic SS on the trail. I ride a Oryx for commuting.

Eric S from Austin.

I'll PM bluebug now.

Thanks.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Sweet - welcome aboard. I don't actually race anymore so that's not a requirement. In fact, a lot of my entries are skate skiing ones!!! WOOHOO

Anywho - welcome.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
druber said:
So...as a newbie to RideMonkey and a casual rider looking to get more serious, can I still join this group?

I trained/raced quite a bit a couple of years ago (XC only). Then I had a kid. Now I'm looking to drop a couple of pounds and start doing a couple of races again (XC and triathlon).

I thought the cycling log site looked really cool, but I definitely think it would help to be part of a group.

Most of my miles will be XC or commuting. I often do slow, technical type riding so my distance and avg speed will be low. I ride a Hammerhead or generic SS on the trail. I ride a Oryx for commuting.

Eric S from Austin.

I'll PM bluebug now.

Thanks.
you're now in among the cool ;)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well I am purposely undertraining for the video game playing and beer drinking season.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
douglas said:
damn..

Road Training 03:30:00 68.00 19.43 160.00 Length Ride (once per week) Trainer

3 1/2 hours w/a 160 HR avg!?

you are a freaking monster

what are you training for?
I have a race call Mt Nebo that I did really be at last year. I'm training for that. Some of the largest climbs on the east coast.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
MancilG said:
Well I'm about 60miles behind Heidi, this weekend I'm going to bust my ass to take 2nd place. If it's nice this weekend I might try and get 75 in
LOL - go ahead and take it. I don't have to train for anything this year since I'm not doing the Pro circuit. I'm just chilling out this season. Well, as much as I really chill out :)

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
Heidi said:
LOL - go ahead and take it. I don't have to train for anything this year since I'm not doing the Pro circuit. I'm just chilling out this season. Well, as much as I really chill out :)

Well 41.74 mile between us. I just didn't have the time to get a big ride in.

Not sure if I will have time to get a ride in today or not..... You need to take a few days off...

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
MancilG said:
Well 41.74 mile between us. I just didn't have the time to get a big ride in.

Not sure if I will have time to get a ride in today or not..... You need to take a few days off...

Don't worry, you'll catch up. I can't really take a day off - I commute on my bike - plus, I swear to God...I am addicted to physical activity. I mean, I'm either skate skiing, riding, swimming, or going to the gym every day. :)

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Heidi said:
I am addicted to physical activity. I mean, I'm either skate skiing, riding, swimming, or going to the gym every day. :)
I feel the same. It's hard to not do something physical every day. I also have a desk job which makes me really antsy by the end of the day. I never thought I'd look forward to my trainer so much.