Quantcast

Someone called the cops on me today :(

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Need some input from you guys...

Long story short there is a school near my house that has some sick street stuff. I ride there almost every day and have only had minor incidences before, but tonight I was riding and some crazy old guy (probly in his late 70s) starts dropping the f bomb on me! I am like wtf dude mind your own business, anyway he calls the cops on his cell.

I tried to talk to him nicely but he kept yelling at me for riding on school property, even though it was like 8:30 and the place was vacant!?! He said if he saw me there again on my bike there would be major consequences. I scrammed before the cops showed.

What do I do? I have to ride there!

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA

Long story short there is a school near my house that has some sick street stuff. I ride there almost every day and have only had minor incidences before, but tonight I was riding and some crazy old guy (probly in his late 70s) starts dropping the f bomb on me! I am like wtf dude mind your own business, anyway he calls the cops on his cell.

I tried to talk to him nicely but he kept yelling at me for riding on school property, even though it was like 8:30 and the place was vacant!?! He said if he saw me there again on my bike there would be major consequences. I scrammed before the cops showed.

did you actually hear him talking to the cops? if you didn't he most likely didn't call them. if he actually did and they showed up just tell them he was harassing you and that you were just riding around not destroying anything or causing trouble.

but i don't understand how he was saying if he saw you again there would be major consequences when he supposedly already called the cops? did he yell at you when you cut out? if you see this guy around there at all i would stay clear of the spot for a few weeks. if there are any signs that say no bikes then you can't really get away with riding there. also, if you run pegs mite as well take them off because they are what will get you in trouble considering all they can really do is damage..

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I wouldn't worry about that dude. That call gets filed under crank call. Do you think cops like chasing kids away from empty lots?

BTW, where was it?

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Sounds like a tit. One day i had a old guy come at me with a stick when i was on my own land. I think its just the grumpy old man thing. If you ever do get the cops turning up just be really nice to them. They tend to be ok about it all. But if they tell you to get off privet land your best to do so. If there is a old man being a real pain all the time and you can always call the police on him. After all your can not go round and threaten people. Also if your on privet land he should not be there too ;)

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
if you aren't in the wrong, call the cops on him, get his license plate and tell them he was threatening you....

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF RIDING STREET! Whatever, let the guy go off, we ususally keep riding and scoot, come back later. Most people are cool and actually will sit and watch and cheer when you pull stuff.

The other part of it, if you aren't actually trespassing, or if your not actually caught doing anything wrong the police can't do anything. I've been talked to many times on private property and just asked to leave. Most of the time police don't care, and sometimes they even ask you to do tricks for them.

Just keep riding and don't let the old coots bother ya.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
i guess thats suburbia for you.
in NYC if your caught riding anywhere BUT on the streets with cars - you're good to go for a summons - i wish they just gave you a ticket. its always such a pain to miss out on mad $$ missing half day work, just to pay 50$ for "operating a bicycle on the sidewalk".

fun fact - pissing on the sidewalk - 25$ ticket. drinking on the street - 25$ ticket . bike on the sidewalk - 50$. breaking the law!

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Hey V-digit, I agree, cops in NYC can be real pricks, but I've ridden there a few times and one day, in broad day light we were tearing up the china banks. Not a hundred yards away there were a few cops directing traffic at that intersection. They watched us ride the whole time, and after they got done they walked past us. One of the females even smiled and said "hi". I guess as I was typing my post I was actually thinking about that.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
t1 - yea, absolutely.
somedays u can be having a session right infront of cops - no problem.
other days they'll get on your for nothing.

like few days ago, i was SITTING on my bike infront of my house waiting for my girl, not even riding and a squad car pulled over and asked me what i was up to and if i knew i'm not allowed to be on the sidewalk with my bike.

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
did you actually hear him talking to the cops? if you didn't he most likely didn't call them. if he actually did and they showed up just tell them he was harassing you and that you were just riding around not destroying anything or causing trouble.

but i don't understand how he was saying if he saw you again there would be major consequences when he supposedly already called the cops? did he yell at you when you cut out? if you see this guy around there at all i would stay clear of the spot for a few weeks. if there are any signs that say no bikes then you can't really get away with riding there. also, if you run pegs mite as well take them off because they are what will get you in trouble considering all they can really do is damage..
Actually because it's a school - typically it is public property (they are paid for by local taxes). You have every right to be there as long as you are not causing a disturbance.

Also - it being a school - there won't be any signs that say "no bikes". Kids have to get to school somehow and bikes have always been acceptable. If there are "no bike" signs then I guarantee there is a bike rack around, so if the cops ever talk to you make sure and point out that little tidbit.

Anyways - I think your good. In fact next time that guy shows up I say let the cops come. The worst they will do is ask you to leave... and I think that guy will end up feeling like a tool in the end.

You weren't doing anything illegal so don't run. Keep your wits about you. Don't let people bully you like that when you are doing nothing wrong. Just be polite and cordial and try not to come off as a punk. If they treat you like a punk still - keep your wits.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Actually because it's a school - typically it is public property (they are paid for by local taxes). You have every right to be there as long as you are not causing a disturbance.

Also - it being a school - there won't be any signs that say "no bikes".
Kids have to get to school somehow and bikes have always been acceptable. If there are "no bike" signs then I guarantee there is a bike rack around, so if the cops ever talk to you make sure and point out that little tidbit.

Anyways - I think your good. In fact next time that guy shows up I say let the cops come. The worst they will do is ask you to leave... and I think that guy will end up feeling like a tool in the end.

You weren't doing anything illegal so don't run. Keep your wits about you. Don't let people bully you like that when you are doing nothing wrong. Just be polite and cordial and try not to come off as a punk. If they treat you like a punk still - keep your wits.
good points, but there is a very good chance that there are "no bike" signs somewhere. if he was riding in the parking lot then there probably aren't but in other areas there most likely are. in most of the schools where i live there are "No bikes, skateboards, skates, scooters" signs somewhere around the school(in CA most schools have a very outdoor type campus so they are usually out on the blacktop or something). at one of the schools it actually has "no skateboarding" painted on wall in multiple places. just random facts..

just don't do damage and your ok, even if the cops come they will simply tell you to leave..

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
My old middle school just has no skate boarding, so I see that as an invitation.

:-)

*Unfortunately the street riding sucks there...*

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
When I call the police non-emergency # to report stuff, I'm on hold for 5-10 mins. He probably never got through.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I really wouldn't worry about it. Unless you are grinding rails and actually destroying property you don't have much to worry about. Most cops I have run into are pretty cool. Most talk to you for a bit and either let you stay or just ask you to ride elsewhere. There have been a couple instances where I have swapped bikes for a few minutes and rode a wheely around on the cop's bike even. Some think its cool that you are out doing something healthy and somewhat productive. You will get further if you are respectful with them as well.

Now..... there are the other cops out there that will try to ticket you for riding through a private lot and if that happens there probably isn't much you can do. You could try to run but if you do get caught you will only have more problems. If you do get away your chances of running into a pissed off officer increases once they tell their buddies at the station what happened...

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Thanks for the help guys. And yes there actualy is two bike racks. I'll be sure to mention that to him. i am heading up there right now, about the same time that prick walks his dog. if he gives me any more sh1t I am giving it right back.

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
please remember DON'T BE A PUNK.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with matching wits with that guy... but don't be a punk about it. There is a difference.

Punks like being witty while cussing. Diplomats can be witty and actually use the encyclopedia. Choose the latter.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I used to deal with this stuff a lot when skating. If I was not supposed to be there, I'd be cool and split. Get away if you are in the wrong.

If it is OK to be there, do this:
• Bring a witness.
• When he starts the ****, get in his face and quietly spew the most insulting stuff you can think of. Keep back a couple of feet and just antagonize the hell out of him. Do not touch him.
• As soon as he grabs you or swings at you (and these cranky old men will), hit him in the face as hard as you can ONE TIME and back off.
•*Call the cops right away and report that you were attacked and had to defend yourself.

It is a clear cut case of self defense if he physically attacks you first and you only "defend" yourself, and there is another witness. He may even be convicted. If not, you bet he'll stay away after getting the crap knocked out of him.

I had to do this twice at a couple of good spots that were near some crazies. Smearing this one fat aholes nose across his face was one of the single best moments of my life.

My Dad's law enforcement friend gave me this idea.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Just ride there, if you get caught by the cops just say you weren't aware you could ride there and politely ride off. No ticket, no problem.
damn. where is that all of you kids live where the cops will tell you not to ride "there" and THEN give you a chance to just ride off without a ticket?

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
when the t's roll up i smash out with the quickness. if its ppl threatening to call the cops i give them the whole speech of this is my job, its public, i cant hurt anyone, even myslef, and that its perfectly legal they usually shut up pretty quickly

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Always carry a bottle of grape juice. That fool will think twice about heckling you after his whole get up is purple.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Ok I just saw him a few hours ago! Theres this bank that leads up to a gym wall and i was tire tapping it, i didn't think it was a big deal that the wall was getting a bunch of tire marks on it cause of the rain, but anyway the guy saw me and he started running over! He said he was going to break my neck for riding there again! WTF!?!

So I get on my bike and start riding away but hes really close to to me now. THe gym I was riding next to had a huge function in it or something and there was a bunch of people outside, so I road around the corner and started yelling CHILD MOLLESTER!! HELP CHILD MOLESTER!! It was like the best thing ever because everyone saw that clearly the guy was chasing me and they all ran over to him. i just bolted out of there because I might have know some the people and didn't want the word to get around about what happend. it was good though.

Although I wonder what hes going to do next time he sees me, lol

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
Ok I just saw him a few hours ago! Theres this bank that leads up to a gym wall and i was tire tapping it, i didn't think it was a big deal that the wall was getting a bunch of tire marks on it cause of the rain, but anyway the guy saw me and he started running over! He said he was going to break my neck for riding there again! WTF!?!

So I get on my bike and start riding away but hes really close to to me now. THe gym I was riding next to had a huge function in it or something and there was a bunch of people outside, so I road around the corner and started yelling CHILD MOLLESTER!! HELP CHILD MOLESTER!! It was like the best thing ever because everyone saw that clearly the guy was chasing me and they all ran over to him. i just bolted out of there because I might have know some the people and didn't want the word to get around about what happend. it was good though.

Although I wonder what hes going to do next time he sees me, lol
That didn't happen.

I used to deal with this stuff a lot when skating. If I was not supposed to be there, I'd be cool and split. Get away if you are in the wrong.

If it is OK to be there, do this:
• Bring a witness.
• When he starts the ****, get in his face and quietly spew the most insulting stuff you can think of. Keep back a couple of feet and just antagonize the hell out of him. Do not touch him.
• As soon as he grabs you or swings at you (and these cranky old men will), hit him in the face as hard as you can ONE TIME and back off.
•*Call the cops right away and report that you were attacked and had to defend yourself.

It is a clear cut case of self defense if he physically attacks you first and you only "defend" yourself, and there is another witness. He may even be convicted. If not, you bet he'll stay away after getting the crap knocked out of him.

I had to do this twice at a couple of good spots that were near some crazies. Smearing this one fat aholes nose across his face was one of the single best moments of my life.

My Dad's law enforcement friend gave me this idea.
Whether or not this is true and you got away with it, it's stupid advice. Gives bikers a bad rep, could get you hurt, and you could still get arrested and charged.

mtnbiker7

Monkey
May 22, 2007
New Jersey

As long as there are no signs that say no bikes I wouldnt worry about it.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Oh lord I guess I have to weigh in on this one...

Ya definetly be a diplomat, polite and all.

Look I am 39 and when you get into your 30's people start treating you different street riding in my experience. By different I mean a lot better. Instead of being called punk you get called sir, LOL.

For what ever reason the "old" guy is just acting irrationally. Maybe he sees you doing something he can't understand so it threatens him. Just be polite and don't rreact as if you are personally involved. Let him call the cops and then call them yourself telling them that there is a feeble old man who is in need of help wandering around threating "people" including yourself. Let the cops come out. Be polite and again keep your head, remind yourself that his actions are his not yours and he is not being rational so therefore you are not even a part of this and let the cops know that he has been a danger to himself before and you are concerned.