Quantcast

Someone explain blackspire chainguides to me.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Specifically the dewlie.......the two ring guide although this may be an issue with the single ringers as well.

So there's a backplate, a roller and a bash guard just like every other chainguide.

But the roller has a bearing on only one side. Meaning getting the thing tight binds the roller making it a roller that won't roll. WTF? I've been doing this bike mechanic thing for quite a while including the endless mrp modifications necessary for so many years and my intuition is to call blackspire and lambast them utter stupidity. Which is why I now apeal to those of you who might have these things to lambast me for mine.

And don't fill this with "buy a drs" "get an lrp". I own the thing, it's sitting in my garage and I'm willing to bet there's just something simple I'm not seeing. Please show me that thing.

Thanks.

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
I have blackspire chain guides on 2 of my bikes, a dewlie and a single ring guide and I've never experianced what your talking about. Maybe you got a defective roller.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
trialsmasta said:
I have blackspire chain guides on 2 of my bikes, a dewlie and a single ring guide and I've never experianced what your talking about. Maybe you got a defective roller.
Well just tell me this.........do your rollers have bearings inserted on both sides or just one?

Do you remember what you put in between the roller and the plate as far as washers etc?

Thanks

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Brian HCM#1 said:
That's what came with the thing unfortunately. It says nothing about order of assembly of the roller. The one I got was obviously returned because it has some scatches from a bb on the back plate. I think I might be missing a part or two. Thanks for the hunt though.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
mine has a shaft that the roller floats/rotates on, the shaft should be tight against the backing plate.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Yes i believe it's a shoulder bolt, so it bottoms out on the backplate.Perhaps you have a washer spacing out the bolt so it is pinching the roller before the bolt bottoms out on the backplate.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
leprechaun said:
Yes i believe it's a shoulder bolt, so it bottoms out on the backplate.Perhaps you have a washer spacing out the bolt so it is pinching the roller before the bolt bottoms out on the backplate.
You should check the mtbr forums more.:blah:

I called blackspire and found out I was missing the sleeve that goes over the bolt that takes the stress off the roller. When I opened the thing it was apparent that at least the backplate had been mounted and returned (scratches from a BB cup). Kind of wierd considering it came straight from BTI. Some jackass took it and returned the guide without it. Blackspire is sending me one.

In the meantime I found some nylon bushing things at a hardware store I stuck in there to get it to spin. It'll last until I get the right part........especially since I'm only riding on weekends now.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
PepperJester said:
do you have the larger end towards the back plate? If its on backwards it wont spin right and will not tention the granny asell.
The roller is on right. It's the sleeve that was missing. I found some metal sleeves at a hardware store and just took out the cartridge bearing. Rolls like a champ now.