Quantcast

Someone just used my PayPal account.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I just got an email that someone has used my PayPal account to purchase a Blackberry for $299

What the ****? :eek:

I filed a dispute and stuff. Now I just wait? Has anyone else gone through this?

Apparently the Blackberry (lol...who would purchase a Blackberry now, that questions the validity of this right there) was purchased from Mario Rodriguez, who has an unverified email/account of mariorz@hushmail.com

How long does this crap take? With this purchase, this dude literally took over 50% of my bank funds....a week before my next College semester starts. What the hell??? :(

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Make sure you've not just been scammed by clicking on a link in the email and logging into a fake paypal website.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So besides the type of phone or whatever that was purchased haha, no one else has had fraudulent activity on their PayPal account?

I am so screwed money wise. Car payment this week, textbooks and supplies need to be purchased next week etc etc

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
So besides the type of phone or whatever that was purchased haha, no one else has had fraudulent activity on their PayPal account?

I am so screwed money wise. Car payment this week, textbooks and supplies need to be purchased next week etc etc
Best way to prevent this is to only link online payments of any kind to a credit card.

If it's on a credit card, they're not spending real money. Even if they racked up $10k in charges, you never actually have to pay a dime - sure, it's a hassle, and you need to deal with the fraud prevention team and crap, but you never actually have any money disappear.

I know it doesn't help this second, but just as a general policy...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
SOmebody tried to to use My Debit card # to blow it up on ITunes a few months back. It's caused havoc with me b/c my wife put the new PIN# for our new cards in a drawer somewhere and vowed to find the PIN.

Have to pay $10 ($5 per card) to get a new NEW PIN today. :banghead:

Only blessing, they never input the right zip code, so they got zero Rick Astley songs!

Jimmysal

Monkey
Mar 26, 2010
Vermont
1. Make sure your computer has all of it's OS updates, Flash updates, Java updates, and is running a current version of some anti virus software. Do a complete scan to make sure your computer is clean.

2. Change the passwords and security questions on any online accounts you have. Make sure the email addresses for password resets are still your email address.

3. File a dispute with Paypal.

4. Stop clicking on every damn thing that pops up.

5. Don't log in to accounts from public computers or unsecured public wifi.

JLStout

Chimp
Mar 12, 2010
Redding Ca
I had this happen to me last year. Had 12 transactions over 2 days. Cleaned out my bank account and I got overdraft charges to boot. Took about 3 weeks to get it all straightened out. :(