Quantcast

Someone Please Help A Newbie Out!!!!!

Crash929

Chimp
Sep 21, 2004
Hello, I'm new to this site and really want to get into the sport. Problem, I have no clue what bike to buy or build. Here is my info:

Height: 6'3" 34" inseam
Weight: 230lbs
Type of riding I want to do: Hardcore Street, park, drops, stair gaps, manuals, occasional trail ride with my wife (nothing extreme at all)
Budget: $1,500.00

I tried riding BMX for about 6 months but I feel way to big and off balance on a 20" bike. All of my friends ride BMX so I want something I feel comfortable on but still be able to manual, wall ride,....etc. with my buddies.

Is there any hope for me or should I just hang it up now? Any help/suggestions will be greatly and I mean GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!! :thumb:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
first off, a hard tail. best for parks and stuff and still smooth on stair gaps if you have speed going into them. single crown fork, like the dirt jumper series. strong wheels/cranks.

Crash929

Chimp
Sep 21, 2004
biggins said:
first off, a hard tail. best for parks and stuff and still smooth on stair gaps if you have speed going into them. single crown fork, like the dirt jumper series. strong wheels/cranks.
Thanks, any suggestions on a build within my budget?

Aug 22, 2004
maybe a banshee scratch?? i'm not sure how much but umm its kind of what ur lookin' for if you go with that i would get a dirt jumper or a shiver sc

Crash929

Chimp
Sep 21, 2004
freeridebiker21 said:
maybe a banshee scratch?? i'm not sure how much but umm its kind of what ur lookin' for if you go with that i would get a dirt jumper or a shiver sc
That’s exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks bro! I was going to check out the Specialized P.Street but nobody here in town has one.

Has anyone had any experience with the Banshee Scratch or the Specialized P.Street? Can anyone give me the low down on these two bikes the good/ the bad/ the ugly?

Thanks for the help guys!!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Crash929 said:
That’s exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks bro! I was going to check out the Specialized P.Street but nobody here in town has one.

Has anyone had any experience with the Banshee Scratch or the Specialized P.Street? Can anyone give me the low down on these two bikes the good/ the bad/ the ugly?

the scratch is pretty small. the p series bikes are short lengthwise. i had a P1 and everytime i tried bar spins i hit my foot on the tire until i found a sweet spot that would keep it from happening.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
I like the Banshee. the scratch is a great bike. for your size go with the large. full build with rim brakes and rigid ork under 2 rand.if you are really strong and agressive go with the morphine w/ 24" wheels. you could build this with the help of a good dealer for under 2 grand if you keep it plain.

Crash929

Chimp
Sep 21, 2004
biggins said:
the scratch is pretty small. the p series bikes are short lengthwise. i had a P1 and everytime i tried bar spins i hit my foot on the tire until i found a sweet spot that would keep it from happening.
Were you running a 26" wheel in the front or a 24". If you were running a 26" do you think a 24" would help the issue of the tire hitting your foot?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Crash929 said:
Were you running a 26" wheel in the front or a 24". If you were running a 26" do you think a 24" would help the issue of the tire hitting your foot?
i was running a 26 with a 4 inch travel fork. after a while i found a sweet spot but i felt to far back on the pedals to feel stable. the 24 would take care of it most likely.

Crash929

Chimp
Sep 21, 2004
Thanks to everyone who helped me out with suggestions. I know newbie questions can get old real quick but I greatly appreciate all the help.

I went down to the bike shop today and ordered a banshee scratch. Should be ready to pick up next week. I can't freakin wait. Been off of a bike way too long and the weather here in Phoenix, AZ is way too nice not to be riding!!!

Thanks again,
Chris

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
Crash929 said:
Thanks to everyone who helped me out with suggestions. I know newbie questions can get old real quick but I greatly appreciate all the help.

I went down to the bike shop today and ordered a banshee scratch. Should be ready to pick up next week. I can't freakin wait. Been off of a bike way too long and the weather here in Phoenix, AZ is way too nice not to be riding!!!

Thanks again,
Chris
Nice choice...Banshee is a way sic company to work with too...I know all their DH and FR bikes are warrantied for 10 years(not sure about the others)...and Pip the owner/and the rest of the guys are all really cool to deal with if anything happens to them...Hope you enjoy it... :thumb:

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
Crash929 said:
Thanks, any suggestions on a build within my budget?
i'd definately try the Haro Escape 8. series. I've got an Escape 8.2, and love it. about 850 to buy a complete with a decent build. throw an MRP system 2 slolom guide, and you have yourself a sick bike there. great for stair gaps and park (uber smooth), AWESOME on jumps, manuals and wheelies easily, and rides like a cross-country bike on trails. try it out.

Crash929

Chimp
Sep 21, 2004
Picked up my new scratch today!! :cool:

Haven't had a chance to really ride it yet but I'm pretty impressed with how beefy this bike is. It's a little on the heavy side and a little small but I think I'm going to like it over all.

Thanks again for all of the advice.

konarky

Chimp
Sep 17, 2004
New York City
Crash929 said:

Sorry is this has been already said. I have tried Banshee Scratch three weeks ago and now im getting it. I love it. Its compact, its bombproof with its 48 spoke Funn wheels, I would say that its light too for its purpose. Im 6'3, 180 lbs, that thing just flies into the air, doing 180's on it was so easy. It had 3'' bars on it with a Sherman Jumper so Geometry was perfect for me. I am definitely getting one with a Sherman SC up front. I can get it for $1000 with a rigit fork. I think that its a really good deal for the money.

Good choice. Have fun.