Quantcast

Something a little different- A tourist in San Diego

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
As some of you know my parents flew out from the East Coast for a visit last week. This was my mom's first time in California, or the west coast for that matter, so we went sightseeing around San Diego. By the time we were done we had over 300 photos, I resized a few of them to share with my fellow monkies.

My mom loves flowers so our first stop was the Quail Botanical Gardens in Encinitas.

Even while playing tourist I thought about all of you here on the Monkey :love:

A series of man-made waterfalls cascades through the gardens, this is on of the lower sections

My favorite part of the gardens are the groves of bamboo. Orven and my dad chatting

Orvs taking a much needed break after that chat with my dad :p

I forgot I was wearing the backpack and got stuck while walking through the bamboo ;)

Everyone likes bunnies :D

This was the final stop in the garden, a section they had designed to look like a coral reef

We left the botanical gardens in search of a good place to eat lunch and decided to stop by the Carlsbad Flower Fieldsalong the way

My mom and dad

Coffee break, will return shortly

druber

Chimp
May 23, 2005
Great pictures. I'll put that place on my list.

I'll be out there in August with my family (my wife, kid, parents, siblings). I've only ever been there once for business. I was only there for a day, so I didn't get to see anything.

In August, I'll be there for 10 days. This time, my bike will accompany me. I'll probably post up closer to that time to try to find a bike guide.

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
Ok, now that I've had a coffee break and did some actual work...back to the pictures.

Next stop was the Birch Aquarium in La Jolla

We saw jellyfish...my favorite aquatic life

A crab dragging a piece of kelp all over the tank

Sharks that would not stay still for the camera

A huge kelp forest

Fish that like to play hide-n-seek

A glass fish

And odd looking seahorses

We continued our journey in La Jolla along the beaches

and ended up at seal beach to take a look at the seals..some of which had just been born the day before

What trip to the beach is complete without a sunset? We headed down to the long pier at Ocean Beach

An interesting way to find a source of fresh water

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The next day was a trip to the San Diego Zoo

See if you can find the hummingbird

Peacocks were scattered about the roof tops of the concession stands

Cute little swimming turtle

Big and odd looking crocodile

This tortoise walked about five feet and decided it needed a nap

I think these two must have been sibilings because they spent most of the time slapping each other around

These two were waiting paitiently to try and steal peanuts that were being thrown at the river otters

The hippo hiding out under the water

Lazy polar bears

And an odd blimp that we saw after leaving the zoo

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
Next stop was Balboa Park which is a cultural urban park just outside the zoo.

Of course we had to stop and look at all the flowers, Orven and my mom checking out the rose gardens :)

More roses

Cool cactus

Storm clouds threatning in the distance

The Japanese Friendship garden

It was a long day, taking a nap in the ampitheatre

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
We got up bright and early the next day to head to wine country in Temecula. We stopped at a few of the wineries, but this one was my favorite.

Longshadow Ranch

They still use horses when it comes time to harvest the grapes, although I think this was just a decoration

But I did manage to catch up with one of the horses

A trip to the wineries means Italian food for lunch, we managed to find this nice little place on our way out of Temecula. So dad how is the dessert? :D

Having our fill of wine and some good Italian food we headed out to the small town of Julian in search of some good apple pie and to see if the snow was still there....and we got both.

Thet got a few more inches of snow after we left

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
Ok, last set of pictures.....I promise. Our last touristy destination was the Wild Animal Park a division of the San Diego Zoo which focuses on conservation and exhibits that try to recreate as much of a natural habitat as possible.

A meerkat standing watch

The gorillas getting some sun

Lions taking a nap

I don't think this was part of an exhibit, but everyone likes bunnies :D

The giraffe feeding station

A bright orange-headed bird in the African Aviary

Speaking of birds...I got surrounded by plenty when carrying a cup of nectar through Lorikeet Landing

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
Still in the Wild Animal Park, we then took the railway which takes you along the outer edges of the park and the open exhibits.

Tiger getting something to drink

Rhino wandering through the fields

Rhino taking a nap

Well hidden mountain goats hiking up and down the rocks

A closer view of one of the rhinos

And of course no trip is complete without a look at the elephants

I think it is time for me to get productive here at work. I had a great time exploring San Diego with my parents for the last week and hope everyone enjoyed the pictures.......

......and just to make this thread bike related ;)

Have a great day everyone!

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
Fshflys said:
You pretty much covered the county. Where are your peeps from?
I think I wore them out with all the things we tried to fit in during the week. My parents moved from New York to Florida a couple of years ago. My father had traveled the world, but my mom has pretty much never been off the east coast, so it was great to give her a chance to explore something different. :)

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
merrrrjig said:
Looks like you had a good time, and theres some great photos, finally photos of a real bunny, not a lovebunny!
He seemed dissapointed when I did not bring the camera on our ride this weekend, but I still had not downloaded the photos from my parents trip. :D

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Shyrmp said:
Wilson, NY (which no one has ever heard of)

Best described as the Niagara Falls/Buffalo area
That is unless you have been to the Boat House. Then you would know exactly where Wilson NY is. Mmmmm steamers on the dock.....:drool:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
......Damn.

Those shots of the beach at LaJolla reminded me of the last time I was in Cali - went to visit a friend, and hung out with her and her brother at Matador Beach and Malibu.... so awesome.

I grew up in Jersey, but always felt like I didn't belong there... I really need to get back the Cali.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Shyrmp said:
Orvs taking a much needed break after that chat with my dad :p
I take it this was Orven's first time meeting the parents?

Good pictures.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I'm a San Diego native, and If I could afford it I'd live there, still.

P.S. :cool: Be sure to post pics of fiesta island during OTL, if they still have it.