Quantcast

Something funny happened at a local XC race...

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
That guy just bent over and took it.. If someone's gonna race like that you've gotta fight back. A well placed shoulder could've easily taken the aggressive guy down. And even if you go down too at least you let the guy know he can't race like a dick ang get away with it.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
More in regards to the places I ride. I have broad shoulders, but if I'm riding DH trails with trees 30-36" apart in some places......I'll stick with 28" bars. Wide enough but not too wide. If I was out in California I'd sing a different tune......same goes with 29ers. They just don't make sense for the terrain I ride.

I also have 25" flat bars on my XC bike, so take it with a grain of salt.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Makes me want to get skinny again and go trade elbows at a XC race.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
More in regards to the places I ride. I have broad shoulders, but if I'm riding DH trails with trees 30-36" apart in some places......I'll stick with 28" bars. Wide enough but not too wide. If I was out in California I'd sing a different tune......same goes with 29ers. They just don't make sense for the terrain I ride.

I also have 25" flat bars on my XC bike, so take it with a grain of salt.
i can't tell you the horrible horrible shoulder pain i would get from narrow bars. switched to wide bars. instantly gone.

also, is it really that hard to do a wheelie and turn the bars slightly? :confused: there's numerous places i ride where there are tree gaps narrower than my bars, and i manage just fine

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
i can't tell you the horrible horrible shoulder pain i would get from narrow bars. switched to wide bars. instantly gone.

also, is it really that hard to do a wheelie and turn the bars slightly? :confused: there's numerous places i ride where there are tree gaps narrower than my bars, and i manage just fine
Probably not that hard, but it's more work than just running appropriate width bars ;)

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Really? You get sore during a 5 minute DH run? Methinks you need to work on your core strength.

And if you're talking XC/trail, you're now arguing the complete opposite of your first post. NTTAWWT....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Really? You get sore during a 5 minute DH run? Methinks you need to work on your core strength.

And if you're talking XC/trail, you're now arguing the complete opposite of your first post. NTTAWWT....
No. I'm talking all of the above. I have 29.5" or 30" bars on all my mountain bikes; dh, trail/am, xc.

in regards to my first post, emphasis is on racing. I can't tell you how many guys I see my size or bigger riding bars that are ungodly narrow.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Then I guess I don't get the '30" bars + XC racing = lol'......you argue the merits of wider bars for bigger guys, and how they are more comfortable. Wouldn't using them during XC races be the most appropriate place to use them for said reasons?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Then I guess I don't get the '30" bars + XC racing = lol'......you argue the merits of wider bars for bigger guys, and how they are more comfortable. Wouldn't using them during XC races be the most appropriate place to use them for said reasons?
yes. exactly. the irony is that most xc racers use narrow bars. also, wider bars give you an extra inch on either side to block would-be passers.

then again, look at how most xc riders turn... bike upright, brakes draggin...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
That's odd, from doing a hundred road races, I have a hard time seeing that happen to me.

I wonder if this XC weenie has never made contact with another rider before.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
yup

we used to train riding down the street leaning into each other shoulder to shoulder trying to push the other guy off his line. maybe its just a roadie thing.
For 4X practice we used to have a drill where 4 riders would accelerate full speed into a singletrack trailhead. The bike carnage was so bad we had to stop doing the drill, but when the trails got narrow in a race our riders always came out out front.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
In my limited race experience (15 races or so over the years...) I have always stayed to the back of the starting pack to avoid pileups at the first turn(s) and the pedaled by folks as they crashed, flamed out or quit on themselves...just not into carnage inflicted by a hyper active competition gland. Not my thing on the bike...I usually save it for the ice.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
In my limited race experience (15 races or so over the years...) I have always stayed to the back of the starting pack to avoid pileups at the first turn(s) and the pedaled by folks as they crashed, flamed out or quit on themselves...just not into carnage inflicted by a hyper active competition gland. Not my thing on the bike...I usually save it for the ice.
and this is the reason why you have never won a race .