Quantcast

Sometimes uniformity is a good thing

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I would say your 'Murican gun culture is to blame for at least 50% of all gun related deaths in the US of A.
Which means even if youve never personally shot anyone theres still a good couple of gallons of blood on your hands.

But I guess thats totally worth it "because you feel safe at night"...

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I would say your 'Murican gun culture is to blame for at least 50% of all gun related deaths in the US of A.
Which means even if youve never personally shot anyone theres still a good couple of gallons of blood on your hands.

But I guess thats totally worth it "because you feel safe at night"...
Na mang. For me it's not even about being "safe at night". I just like guns. They're incredibly complex yet simple, like bikes. Gives me a mechanical engineering hard on, all that precision..... :drool: It's kinda like a tiny combustion engine if you think about it. Mike is doing the compression stroke right now. They're also super fun to shoot. Pew Pew Pew.

I do have a problem with the ease of getting guns but I don't think banning them is the answer. It should be at least as hard to get a gun as to get a drivers license and register a vehicle. Here in Cali it's a similar experience but without any sort of drivers test.

How do you feel about alcohol prohibition? Alcohol is involved in tons of deaths every year but is available in every supermarket and corner store (I don't know the laws in Holland but I assume they are liberal in respects to booz). We could prohibit alcohol in an attempt to save people from themselves and from the stupidity of others but we don't. Do you feel like you have blood on your hands every time you have a beer?

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Na mang. For me it's not even about being "safe at night". I just like guns. They're incredibly complex yet simple, like bikes. Gives me a mechanical engineering hard on, all that precision..... :drool: It's kinda like a tiny combustion engine if you think about it. Mike is doing the compression stroke right now. They're also super fun to shoot. Pew Pew Pew.

I do have a problem with the ease of getting guns but I don't think banning them is the answer. It should be at least as hard to get a gun as to get a drivers license and register a vehicle. Here in Cali it's a similar experience but without any sort of drivers test.

How do you feel about alcohol prohibition? Alcohol is involved in tons of deaths every year but is available in every supermarket and corner store (I don't know the laws in Holland but I assume they are liberal in respects to booz). We could prohibit alcohol in an attempt to save people from themselves and from the stupidity of others but we don't. Do you feel like you have blood on your hands every time you have a beer?
Im no stranger to shooting guns and ofcourse they are fun. But guess what else is fun, handgranades!
Hangrandes are super fun to throw at targets near or far.
Is it a good id to make handgranades legal? No. Its a fucking bad id cause a lot more people are gonna get hurt when you start selling them at the fucking cornershop.

And yes alcohol is involved in deaths, but guess what... So are cars! Cars however, have another purpose beside killing people or just for fun. They are a means of transportation and the world would basically stop in its tracks tomorrow if everybody would stop driving their car.
The amount of people that get killed by cars is also relatively small compared to the number of people that get killed per gun. I would even say its negligable, but we still go through great lengths every day to make cars safer so they kill less and less people.
Even though a car is far less likely to kill a person, you still need to earn a fucking license to operate one. (I dont know the laws in the US but I assume you cant just buy a drivers license at 7/11...
Are you doing the same things for guns? Fuck no.
In fact its easier to get a gun then get these http://mashable.com/2016/06/18/things-harder-to-get-than-a-gun/#ojRWVuPN2aqz 100 things in the US apparently.
I also kill far less people by holding a beer then by holding a gun if you want to talk numbers, so your whole post so far has made about 0 sense to me.

If you look at percentages cars and alcohol kill only a fraction of the people that are being killed by guns each year. If youre cool with that because you think shooting guns is fun then fine.
But dont pretend its the same as driving a car or drinking a beer cause its fucking not.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Kevin, I can understand and accept your view, but I must point something out.

The vast majority of gun owners will buy a gun, shoot it at the range a few times, then lick it up and forget they own it. The vast majority of "gun owners" don't even keep ammunition at home.
To say guns kill more than cars is just plain ignorant, there are far more deaths in America daily, monthly and annually cause by vehicular negligence than firearm negligence.
If guns were the problem, trust me, the world would know it. If American gun owners were a problem, the world would definitely know it.

I have 14 guns in my safe, only one has killed a person, that's because it was used in WW2, I still have the bayonet with blood stains. Non of the others have killed anything but varmints or large game. Hell even those weapons I carry for defense have done nothing more than be carried at this point.

You have every right to your beliefs, but make no mistake, cars and alcohol kill far more people in America than guns.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
1.) Im no stranger to shooting guns and ofcourse they are fun. But guess what else is fun, handgranades!
Hangrandes are super fun to throw at targets near or far.
Is it a good id to make handgranades legal? No. Its a fucking bad id cause a lot more people are gonna get hurt when you start selling them at the fucking cornershop.

2.) And yes alcohol is involved in deaths, but guess what... So are cars! Cars however, have another purpose beside killing people or just for fun. They are a means of transportation and the world would basically stop in its tracks tomorrow if everybody would stop driving their car.

3.) The amount of people that get killed by cars is also relatively small compared to the number of people that get killed per gun. I would even say its negligable, but we still go through great lengths every day to make cars safer so they kill less and less people.

4.) Even though a car is far less likely to kill a person, you still need to earn a fucking license to operate one. (I dont know the laws in the US but I assume you cant just buy a drivers license at 7/11...

5.) Are you doing the same things for guns? Fuck no.

6.)In fact its easier to get a gun then get these http://mashable.com/2016/06/18/things-harder-to-get-than-a-gun/#ojRWVuPN2aqz 100 things in the US apparently.
I also kill far less people by holding a beer then by holding a gun if you want to talk numbers, so your whole post so far has made about 0 sense to me.

7.) If you look at percentages cars and alcohol kill only a fraction of the people that are being killed by guns each year. If youre cool with that because you think shooting guns is fun then fine.
But dont pretend its the same as driving a car or drinking a beer cause its fucking not.
I've annotated your post for more efficient arguing/debating/poo flinging :monkeydance:

1.) You can essentially get hand grenades here way easier than guns. They're called fireworks but they'll kill your ass just as easy. I've had a firework blow up in my hand because of a faulty fuse. Luckily it was a baby one. There's practically no QC on that shit. I don't even fuck with them any more.

But I never said you should be able to have hand grenades. So I'm sorry but you're getting a penalty for that line of argument.

Strawman.jpg

2.) I didn't ask you about cars I asked you about beer (second strawman penalty assesed). You can't drive a beer to work. You can't defend yourself from a bear with a beer. Beer kills lots of people and you can get it EVERYWHERE. So do you feel all that blood on your hands while you get a beer at the bruin cafe or whatever you guys call it?

3.) Please provide evidence for this statement. You might be right but I'm curious to see the numbers.

4.) Did you miss the part where I said I think it should be as hard to get a gun as it is to get a drivers license/register a vehicle? Also you cant buy guns at a 7/11. Or are you comparing cars to beers now?

5.) In Cali I'd say that, other than the drivers test requirement guns are just about as hard to get as a drivers license so I think we're headed in the right direction.

6.) You might as well have linked me to a BUZZFEED article. I'm convinced these type of lists are written by children for children. Lets just go over 10 of the biggest problems with that article:

A.) The US is a big place (unlike Holland) and the laws vary drastically from state to state. In California it is much harder to get a gun than to do many of the things on that list.

B.) Some of these items are so unrelated and stupid that it hurts my head. Is this seriously part of your argument against guns? Did you actually read this trash? It's easier to buy a gun than "get sworn in as president". Holy fuck who wrote this?

C.) They list abstract concepts like "getting some peace and quiet" and "get closure"

D.) It includes a bunch of gifs. Any article that contains a bunch of gifs is obvious click bate garbage.

7.) Again you're gonna have to give me a source before I'll accept this point. But since I never asked you about cars (and agree with the assertion that it should be as hard to get guns as cars, which you apparently didn't read) lets focus on beers. Since I can use a gun many times and a beer only once, a better comparison would be between beers and bullets.

Please provide the number of people killed in the US per bullet versus the number of people killed per beer/shot/butt chug.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
So, since I like playing devil's advocate.... Rockofullr,
California is not any harder than Montana to obtain a "gun". All the same rules apply, the ncic background is the same, only in CA, you wait your ten days. The check takes about 30 seconds. CA makes it harder to obtain certain guns, not all guns.

It is in fact substantially easier in the USA to obtain a gun than a driver's license. Couple reasons, in good ole Merica it is a constitutional right to own and bear arms. Meaning there must be good reason to ban someone from doing such, IE they have to be proven to break the rules. Obtaining a license to drive a car/truck on the other hand is a privilege, so it must be earned before used.

Now, let me be clear... Far too many people own guns and do not practice with them. While I support the second amendment, I do not support constitutional carry without minimum training standards. Our gun laws are a joke, and as of now the perceived plan is every time something bad happens, we just write more laws vs enforcing what we already have, yes we need to reform the system.

Another point to add to the overall discussion, all states in the USA require a class, and safety certification to use a firearm for hunting. Most all states require a license to carry a weapon in a concealed fashion. That license requires some kind of safety class.

Don't worry Rock, I am still siding with you, true documentation, real stats show more deaths involving hybrid cars in the US than deaths per firearm.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
So, since I like playing devil's advocate.... Rockofullr,

1.) California is not any harder than Montana to obtain a "gun". All the same rules apply, the ncic background is the same, only in CA, you wait your ten days. The check takes about 30 seconds. CA makes it harder to obtain certain guns, not all guns.

2.) It is in fact substantially easier in the USA to obtain a gun than a driver's license.

3.) Couple reasons, in good ole Merica it is a constitutional right to own and bear arms. Meaning there must be good reason to ban someone from doing such, IE they have to be proven to break the rules. Obtaining a license to drive a car/truck on the other hand is a privilege, so it must be earned before used.

Now, let me be clear... Far too many people own guns and do not practice with them. While I support the second amendment, I do not support constitutional carry without minimum training standards.

4.) Our gun laws are a joke, and as of now the perceived plan is every time something bad happens, we just write more laws vs enforcing what we already have, yes we need to reform the system.

5.) Another point to add to the overall discussion, all states in the USA require a class, and safety certification to use a firearm for hunting. Most all states require a license to carry a weapon in a concealed fashion. That license requires some kind of safety class.

Don't worry Rock, I am still siding with you, true documentation, real stats show more deaths involving hybrid cars in the US than deaths per firearm.
Well I enjoy poo flinging so lets do this

1.) I'm not familiar with the laws in Montana but I'll take your word for it. I was using Cali as an examples since I'm familiar with the law here and It's one of the most regulated in the US. I know other states such as NJ have similarly strict regulations.

But, I would say that the 10 day waiting period definitely adds "difficulty" to purchasing a gun. Most people don't have a gun shop out their front door and in the case of my last gun purchase I had to drive 45 minutes each way twice instead of once because of the waiting period.

2.) I've done both in Cali and I think it's pretty similar. You gotta go wait around somewhere, fill out some paperwork, take a test, pay some fees. If anything it's harder to get a gun other than no behind the trigger test. There's no waiting period or background check to pass at the DMV, one day in and out even for Felony Fred and Jehadi John.

3.) I'm not religious, but if I were, I wouldn't have a copy of the constitution next to my bible. It's just a set of laws written by some guys. Good stuff, but not infallible. Just because it's in the constitution is not a good argument for or against something. After all, look how stupid the 18th amendment was.

I would say that, in today's society, having access to a car is much more critical to a person's livelihood and well being than having a gun. And the whole "well regulated malitia" argument is pretty much out the window at this point since, as you observed, most people don't even practice with their firearms. Maybe it's time to admit that the second amendment is a relic of the past and move towards gun ownership as a privilege.

4.) I disagree with the focus on making certain weapons or features illegal after they are used to shoot a bunch of people. It's just a silly way to do it.

Which laws do you feel are not enforced?

5.) True. As a side note, the whole CCW system in "may issue" states is incredibly corrupt and needs to go. Where I live most of the CCW permit holders are in the Sheriff's Posse and you gotta give the Sheriff a bunch of money to be in that. So basically only the Sheriff's butt buddies and donors get CCW permits.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Well I enjoy poo flinging so lets do this

1.) I'm not familiar with the laws in Montana but I'll take your word for it. I was using Cali as an examples since I'm familiar with the law here and It's one of the most regulated in the US. I know other states such as NJ have similarly strict regulations.

But, I would say that the 10 day waiting period definitely adds "difficulty" to purchasing a gun. Most people don't have a gun shop out their front door and in the case of my last gun purchase I had to drive 45 minutes each way twice instead of once because of the waiting period.
Fair enough, buying laws are similar enough between Mt and CA aside from the waiting period. I am not against a waiting period. To be fair there are plenty of places in Montana that are a 45 minute plus one way trip as well. All but three of the guns in my safe I got in Montana, all the rest . came from southern California, never drove more than ten minutes

2.) I've done both in Cali and I think it's pretty similar. You gotta go wait around somewhere, fill out some paperwork, take a test, pay some fees. If anything it's harder to get a gun other than no behind the trigger test. There's no waiting period or background check to pass at the DMV, one day in and out even for Felony Fred and Jehadi John.

Fair enough

3.) I'm not religious, but if I were, I wouldn't have a copy of the constitution next to my bible. It's just a set of laws written by some guys. Good stuff, but not infallible. Just because it's in the constitution is not a good argument for or against something. After all, look how stupid the 18th amendment was.

I would say that, in today's society, having access to a car is much more critical to a person's livelihood and well being than having a gun. And the whole "well regulated malitia" argument is pretty much out the window at this point since, as you observed, most people don't even practice with their firearms. Maybe it's time to admit that the second amendment is a relic of the past and move towards gun ownership as a privilege.

The second amendment is not about owning guns, it's about the true power staying with the people should the government become corrupt and pervert the power they are entrusted with

4.) I disagree with the focus on making certain weapons or features illegal after they are used to shoot a bunch of people. It's just a silly way to do it.

My biggest frustration here, when someone does something g bad, a new law is written towards legal law abiding citizens

Which laws do you feel are not enforced?
Concealed carry laws in CA are very loosely enforced. Don't ask me how I know this

5.) True. As a side note, the whole CCW system in "may issue" states is incredibly corrupt and needs to go. Where I live most of the CCW permit holders are in the Sheriff's Posse and you gotta give the Sheriff a bunch of money to be in that. So basically only the Sheriff's butt buddies and donors get CCW permits.

I think the ability to obtain a CCW in CA is definitely skewed as each county has their own way to figure on who can. Most in CA just plain can't keep up with the demand, while some just will not issue unless it comes down to they have to do it.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Actually Kevin. You seem like a nice guy, being serious, Everytime you poke in the firearms and Mac+cheese forum, you stir things up. You end up having to state your piece about gun violence being because of America's gun culture.
It's not like you are entering the forum on accident. Like I said before, I will not look down on you because of your views or belief's, I will just ask that you give the same respect to those of us who view things differently than you.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Actually Kevin. You seem like a nice guy, being serious, Everytime you poke in the firearms and Mac+cheese forum, you stir things up. You end up having to state your piece about gun violence being because of America's gun culture.
It's not like you are entering the forum on accident. Like I said before, I will not look down on you because of your views or belief's, I will just ask that you give the same respect to those of us who view things differently than you.
Thanks for your response and all I can say is you are right.
I browse this forum by hitting the new posts button so sometimes I do enter the forum by accident though, but that isnt really relevant.
I dont need to read any of this or respond to it and I usually dont, unless maybe ive drank a beer or 4 and get my panties up in a bunch about it.
This is why I liked your earlier response but didnt reply to it. I figured Id mind my own bussines because me going on about this on this forum isnt gonna change a thing beside annoying you guys.

I fully stand by my statement though, but I admit that sometimes I should just shut the fuck up. Its just that it takes me by surprise sometimes browsing a bike forum and after a few beers its harder to just click the new posts button without responding.
I realise we talk about many other things too on these boards so why not about guns.

I think Ive even said this before but Ill try to keep the pie hole shut in the future.
And despite the gun nuttin you seem like a good bunch too, so heres to that.

:cheers:

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
It doesn't matter how easy or hard or expensive it is to get a driver license. Some states require drivers ed, some don't. No matter what the requirements are, once you have it, its up to the owner to decide if they wanna follow rules and laws. People know not to drink and drive, drive without a license and to use their blinker, stop at stop signs and red lights and to have insurance. Do they always... Hell no! Just because you have a license and training doesn't mean you are gonna do everything or anything you're supposed to do. People are gonna do whatever they want.