Quantcast

(: Sonday Funday :)

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
OOOOOH...whatcha makin? something involving resin???

I’m only making popsicle sticks into smaller ones. There’s a kids art center putting together take-home arts and crafts bags for the elementary schools who they’d otherwise be teaching art classes in person, one of the projects is “Forky” from one of the Toy Tory movies, these are Forky’s feet. Did my good deed for the week, now 4500 Forkies are about to be unleashed on unsuspecting parents everywhere, sucks to be them.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Frustrated with myself about messing up the build of my workbench. I knew early on this morning that I screwed up 4 of the tongue (of tongue and groove) assemblies. While sorting out what I did wrong to see what I needed to cut again, I found out that I fucked up the assembly entirely. So I had to scrap what I'd done and make a whole bunch more cuts.

Thankfully the designer had the plans written up to use MaxCut for the pieces, so I had a 3x4 sheet of 18mm ply left. I was able to get enough cut to build three sections (mind I have eight) before I ran out of wood. I'll still need to get another 18mm sheet, but since I will be making another bench to join to this one, I'll have the spare wood.

I built these sections with glue and the nail gun, using clamps vs. glue and screws like I had last night. I was able to get the edges to line up flush a lot easier and they stayed flush with the nails vs the screws. That should lead to a bit less work getting things to line up square during assembly and should look nicer. Not that it really matters, but it's nice.

I think I've figured out that my total cost on this bench is going to be about $500. That's wood, wheels that adjust to level, vice, and hardware. The next one will actually end up costing less because it won't need a vice and I will have extra MDF surface from this one. I found another bench very similar to the full-size version of this (assume 4 modulars combined) that is built locally and the guy charges $15k, so I feel that I'm not doing too bad here. Plus these will likely be the last workbenches I buy/build for the next 10+ years.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Frustrated with myself about messing up the build of my workbench. I knew early on this morning that I screwed up 4 of the tongue (of tongue and groove) assemblies. While sorting out what I did wrong to see what I needed to cut again, I found out that I fucked up the assembly entirely. So I had to scrap what I'd done and make a whole bunch more cuts.

Thankfully the designer had the plans written up to use MaxCut for the pieces, so I had a 3x4 sheet of 18mm ply left. I was able to get enough cut to build three sections (mind I have eight) before I ran out of wood. I'll still need to get another 18mm sheet, but since I will be making another bench to join to this one, I'll have the spare wood.

I built these sections with glue and the nail gun, using clamps vs. glue and screws like I had last night. I was able to get the edges to line up flush a lot easier and they stayed flush with the nails vs the screws. That should lead to a bit less work getting things to line up square during assembly and should look nicer. Not that it really matters, but it's nice.

I think I've figured out that my total cost on this bench is going to be about $500. That's wood, wheels that adjust to level, vice, and hardware. The next one will actually end up costing less because it won't need a vice and I will have extra MDF surface from this one. I found another bench very similar to the full-size version of this (assume 4 modulars combined) that is built locally and the guy charges $15k, so I feel that I'm not doing too bad here. Plus these will likely be the last workbenches I buy/build for the next 10+ years.
Glad you didn’t post pics, nobody wants to see your workbench, much better to just guess what it looks like and where the T&G goes on a bench. Really though, snap some pictures.

I like to shoot a couple nails in to hold things on place while assembling cabinets for the same reason you listed, then once it’s all pinned in place come back and shoot some screws in for strength. With the edges held flush, shoot a brad in, then check for square, the brads flex a bit so you can tweak it into square if need be, then drive the screws home. Screws negate the need for clamps, which makes for really fast cabinet assembly.

Got a link to this $15k wonderbench? Sounds like a preposterous amount of money for a work bench, that’s granite surface plate money

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Glad you didn’t post pics, nobody wants to see your workbench, much better to just guess what it looks like and where the T&G goes on a bench. Really though, snap some pictures.

I like to shoot a couple nails in to hold things on place while assembling cabinets for the same reason you listed, then once it’s all pinned in place come back and shoot some screws in for strength. With the edges held flush, shoot a brad in, then check for square, the brads flex a bit so you can tweak it into square if need be, then drive the screws home. Screws negate the need for clamps, which makes for really fast cabinet assembly.

Got a link to this $15k wonderbench? Sounds like a preposterous amount of money for a work bench, that’s granite surface plate money

I can't find the link where he talks about building it. But this is the one. That px doesn't even include the tools...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here's a link to the album.

The proper tongue and groove pieces have different width and/or length on all three pieces that make up the framing piece. I didn't do it properly first and put it together with two pieces the same size with the center of three pieces correct.

The assembly is effectively a front and rear frame with two joined boxes inbetween for the drawers. With building two, I'll have drawers on one, then the other will have shelves for storing tools in one box and the other will be used for my shop vac. If I do a third, it will most likely be drawers again.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Here's a link to the album.

The proper tongue and groove pieces have different width and/or length on all three pieces that make up the framing piece. I didn't do it properly first and put it together with two pieces the same size with the center of three pieces correct.

The assembly is effectively a front and rear frame with two joined boxes inbetween for the drawers. With building two, I'll have drawers on one, then the other will have shelves for storing tools in one box and the other will be used for my shop vac. If I do a third, it will most likely be drawers again.
///Workbench

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005

I can't find the link where he talks about building it. But this is the one. That px doesn't even include the tools...
Jesus, wonder if he’s actually sold any. That’s an insane price for that thing, and who’s in the market for a workbench like that, but can’t build it themself?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Jesus, wonder if he’s actually sold any. That’s an insane price for that thing, and who’s in the market for a workbench like that, but can’t build it themself?
Someone without that platform to do it? I was thinking the same thing though. But there are some people with too much money who just want to go into things head long. I know I dive into stuff, but at least I build my platforms.