Quantcast

Song of the Day (01Aug06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
what better way to kick off August than w/ a song by Pedro the Lion? these guys are a christian-centric band from seattle i think, vaguely reminiscent of Modest Mouse at times, but imo 1000x better and having none of the annoying mannerisms of that band. the first record started a bit slower and mellow, but they discovered the attenuation knob on their amps at some point in time. thanks to Spincrazy for turning me back onto these guys (i'd had the 1st record for a while, and lost interest over time).

Never Leave a Job Half Done

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
not half bad for a "christian-centric" band :thumb:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
narlus said:
what better way to kick off August than w/ a song by Pedro the Lion? these guys are a christian-centric band from seattle i think, vaguely reminiscent of Modest Mouse at times, but imo 1000x better and having none of the annoying mannerisms of that band. the first record started a bit slower and mellow, but they discovered the attenuation knob on their amps at some point in time. thanks to Spincrazy for turning me back onto these guys (i'd had the 1st record for a while, and lost interest over time).

Never Leave a Job Half Done

wow that is a FVCKING GREAT SONG!!!:thumb: I can see it really fitting certain moods! good use of volume, and great texture to this song... I like the use of different instrument combos at different times to create some tension, then it is relieved when another instrument comes in to provide harmony. (this includes the use of his voice at one point)

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Still my favorite band. Dave has dropped the moniker of Pedro the Lion now and is just recording under his name (Dave Bazan). I saw him again a month or so ago in Brooklyn - all acoustic, all alone, all fantastic. He's a true original.

Him and whatshisface (Ben?) from Death Cab for Cutie used to play A LOT of shows together and each had the other bands sticker on their guitars. They'd hang out before and after each others set and chat with everyone.

Dave is, IMO, wrongly classified as Christian rock as many many of his songs are more with his struggle with being religious and his failing belief. He writes really good songs, bottom line.