Quantcast

Song of the Day (02Aug06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'm sure everyone knows the Foo Fighters, but i chose this song based on who wrote it (Gary Numan)...he's afflicted w/ the one-hit wonder syndrome; if you grew up in the 80s, you probably know "Cars" and that's it. well he did write some good creepy songs in a cold , mechanistic style, and this is one of the gems. from the _songs in the key of X_ comp ('music inspired by the X Files', which is actually not that bad!)

Down in the Park

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Good cover, well done. There's a Gary Numan tribute on Beggars Banquet called Random floating around out there that features The Orb, EMF, Gravity Kills and Pop Will Eat Itself among others. Some great covers of Are Friends Electric? and Stormtroopers In Drag.

Of course, the original Replicas is a must have in the collection, Praying To The Aliens is always a good attention getter at any party.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Trainwreck said:
Of course, the original Replicas is a must have in the collection, Praying To The Aliens is always a good attention getter at any party.
yeah, that's on vinyl for me...i wish there was a magic wand i could wave to digitize my lps and singles...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Wasn't there a video from the 80's with a whole lot of New Wave stuff on it? I want to say it was called 'the erg video' or something like that. Anyway it had Gary Numan doing this song, riding around on stage in this weird car like thing acting all robot. Really cool. ONe of my favorite parts of the video. Anybody have any idea what I am talking about?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
narlus said:
yeah, that's on vinyl for me...i wish there was a magic wand i could wave to digitize my lps and singles...
Is there a program you use to digitize all of your LP's and 7" stuff?

PS this song of the day Rocks... but the Pedro the Lion song blew me away.... You can always count on the Foo's to put out some good stuff, (even doing covers they always do a good job)! but to hear a (new to me band) that blows me away is pretty cool thanks for yesterdays SOTD!!!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
brungeman said:

PS this song of the day Rocks... but the Pedro the Lion song blew me away.... You can always count on the Foo's to put out some good stuff, (even doing covers they always do a good job)! but to hear a (new to me band) that blows me away is pretty cool thanks for yesterdays SOTD!!!

any decent audio program can do it, the bigger restraining factor is having the right input jacks on a computer.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
brungeman said:
the problem is that you have to do it in real time (ie, cd ripping can occur at up to 48x, where as getting the lp data onto a hard drive happens in real time). and then you have to normalize it, perhaps do some noise reduction or pop/click removal (manually), and then cut the huge wav file (side A or B) into individual tracks. so it's a pain in the ass. i've done this to probably 40 lps and maybe 70 singles, and it takes a lot of time. oh, i use cooledit pro (since bought by adobe, not sure if they changed the name) to capture the raw sound file to wav.

you need a 2xRCA -> 1/8" coaxial connector to connect pre-amp outputs to soundcard input.

brungeman said:
that's what it is all about. good to hear.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
You could play your 33's on 45 or 78 and then use cooledit to pitch shift them back from Chipmunk land. That's what I would do ;)

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
jdschall said:
You could play your 33's on 45 or 78 and then use cooledit to pitch shift them back from Chipmunk land. That's what I would do ;)
Someone once got me this lp as a joke. I should try playing it at 45! :rofl: