Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Tom Waits is one of the greats that has gone somewhat unrecognized. The photo personifies his music well.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Another great one... I've always loved Tom Waits, and this melody is particularly haunting with the guitar work in the background.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
hmm....why aren't some of these links working? i just do a 'save link as' from the target file on the download page, every time? :confused:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Never used YouSendIt, not sure why the links are different. However, if you take the link that you provided, and plug it into the "fix my link" bar that pops up when you click the bad link, it provides you with the correct one.

If you have a login account with them, you may need to be logged out to provide the proper URL. Sometimes the logged in URLs are different.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I love Tom, I think his early writing is more descriptive and paints a better picture than most "best selling authors" example the whole "Heart of Saturday Night" album is filled with great examples its so hard to pick just one...

Well you gassed her up
Behind the wheel
With your arm around your sweet one
In your Oldsmobile
Barrelin' down the boulevard
You're looking for the heart of Saturday night

And you got paid on Friday
And your pockets are jinglin'
And you see the lights
You get all tinglin' cause you're cruisin' with a 6
And you're looking for the heart of Saturday night

Then you comb your hair
Shave your face
Tryin' to wipe out ev'ry trace
All the other days
In the week you know that this'll be the Saturday
You're reachin' your peak

Stoppin' on the red
You're goin' on the green
'Cause tonight'll be like nothin'
You've ever seen
And you're barrelin' down the boulevard
Lookin' for the heart of Saturday night

Tell me is the crack of the poolballs, neon buzzin?
Telephone's ringin'; it's your second cousin
Is it the barmaid that's smilin' from the corner of her eye?
Magic of the melancholy tear in your eye.

Makes it kind of quiver down in the core
'Cause you're dreamin' of them Saturdays that came before
And now you're stumblin'
You're stumblin' onto the heart of Saturday night

Well you gassed her up
And you're behind the wheel
With your arm around your sweet one
In your Oldsmobile
Barrellin' down the boulevard,
You're lookin' for the heart of Saturday night

Is the crack of the poolballs, neon buzzin?
Telephone's ringin'; it's your second cousin
And the barmaid is smilin' from the corner of her eye
Magic of the melancholy tear in your eye.

Makes it kind of special down in the core
And you're dreamin' of them Saturdays that came before
It's found you stumblin'
Stumblin' onto the heart of Saturday night
And you're stumblin'
Stumblin onto the heart of Saturday night

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
hmmm... interesting. Will have to give it another listen later. I like it, just in the mood for this kind of music at the moment.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
While not a huge Waits fan, I just wanted to say Narlus' music of the day threads kick ass.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
thanks for the feedback, people! just remember, if you don't like today's selection, there is always tomorrow. i definitely plan to mix it up, as i do like a pretty wide variety of music. about the only stuff you won't hear at some point is limited nu-metal, dance-pop, cookie-monster-vocals metal, nashville C&W and well other stuff. i do like a variety of outsider music (improv, free jazz, noise, avant stuff) but i'll likely not put any of that in an attempt to keep my audience. ;)

btw, i think yousendit limits the amount of downloads to 25; has anyone reached that limit and not been able to download a particular file?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
johnbryanpeters said:
What does yousendit do when one hits the limit?
applies an electric shock to Stosh's testicles.

luckily, they are detached and housed in a purple velour bag, so there is no personal harm done to his body.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Great song, does most of his stuff sound like that?

This could even warrant some illegal file downloading action... That is, if the bit torrents aren't too hard to figure out.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
bikenweed said:
Great song, does most of his stuff sound like that?
er, kind of...but not quite. he's got a pretty broad range within his appearingly limited scope...some stuff is a bit outre, other stuff (esp earlier) is more singer @ a bar piano stuff. he's got elements of vaudeville, the blues, and jazz peppered throughout his stuff, but some material can get rather noisy too. i must admit that i'm not an expert on mr waits and i don't have one or two particular releases really burned into my memory banks.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Tom Waits is the bestest, most original performer eva!!11! Been a fan a long time. I'd download this if I didn't have most everything by him already. Marc Ribot is the perfectness as well.

Did you know that he actually used to be a crooner similar to the likes of Sinatra in his early years? tis true.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I liked it. I have heard about Tom Waits, read about him, but this is the first time I have heard him. Further investigation is necessary.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
TN said:
I liked it. I have heard about Tom Waits, read about him, but this is the first time I have heard him. Further investigation is necessary.
yes this was a great selection by Narlus because it had the smoothness in it that his early stuff does, but it also has a bit of the foreshadowing of the gruffness that he perfected in his later years...

MTV (one of the antichrists of "good" music) played Tom Waits "I don't want to grow up" a bit when it was new... it had an hysterical video to it... it is more along the lines of his gruff stuff that he did a lot of in his more recent releases...

he is definately one to check out further... I would suggest "Looking for the Heart of Saturday Night"... it was my first of his and spent months in my rotation!

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Didn't see this until today. I'm a big Tom Waits fan, he's got a lot of creativity and storytelling genius, but he does take some getting used to. He's great in Coffee and Cigarettes. Tom Waits vs. Iggy Pop -- can't get any better than that.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
chiming in very late here (altho i did write about this track elsewhere, in another sotd thread), but i still really like the feel of this one. in fact, it has the most plays of any of the tracks on my "narlus" playlist, at 25 as of this most recent runthrough... :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
tom waits is doing a small US tour, which is pretty infrequent...so if you happen to be lucky enough to where he's landing in town, see what you can do to get a ticket.