Quantcast

Song of the Day (02Sep06) [SST #7]

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Screaming Trees were a dichotomoty, visually...the Connor brothers looked like a WWF tag team entry, read to steamroll you and flatten down anything in their wake. on the other hand, the whiskey-soaked vocals of Mark Lanegan carried w/ it a certain physicality which brought a much needed dose of charisma to the band. in other words, chicks dig him.

their MO was fuzz-driven psych, done straight up. as such, they didn't really fit all that well w/ the speed-driven SST merchants, but actually did work as a complement over the 3 records they did for the label. they'd break out of the indie ghetto via their big hit 'nearly lost you' on the Singles soundtrack. a solid band, not one which will inspire fanaticism, but certainly worth some listens.

i cheated a little bit and also added a song (Change Has Come) from their excellent 2x7" (and sole) release they had on Sub Pop. kinda strange that a fairly high profile band which fit the raison d'etre of early sub pop to a T would only do one record w/ them. at least it was a great one.

Transfiguration

Smoke Rings

Where The Twain Shall Meet

Change Has Come

so there you have it, the final day of the 4th label to be featured. hope it was fun and informative for y'all. i enjoyed it, but it was a fair bit of work and i'll be happy to get back to the single song threads. anyway, this is in no way an exhaustive list of the best labels from the US (or even all the best bands from these labels; still good stuff i'd not mentioned), but i hope it prodded people to check some stuff out. that's what this idea is all about.

here are some other essential indie labels certainly worth your time and money:

siltbreeze
flying nun
merge
dischord
kill rock stars
drag city
homestead
domino
teen beat
shimmy disc
independent project
rough trade
frontier
alternative tentacles
estrus
durtro
united dairies
eclipse
time-lag
etc...

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
I just got into this band recently and got the album Clairvoyance. I really dig it. It's a disc I have been able to listen to a lot recently/

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Always been a fan, although I'm not soo into Mark's solo stuff of late.

Definitely appreciate all your work even if it wasn't as educational as you may have meant for me personally. It turned me on to some tracks I hadn't heard before. Looking forward to the singles.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
The Screaming Trees were one of my fav's... When all these other bands were still barking out lyrics bands like TST, Government Issue, and Shudder to Think (to name a few) were really starting to create more "polished" (for lack of a better term) vocal sound!

your series of SOTD's based on labels is priceless! I personally thank you for turning me on to a few bands I had previously overlooked, and re-kindling my interest in others!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the 5th label i toyed w/ doing up was Drag City...Pavement, Silver Jews, Palace, Smog, Six Organs of Admittance, Royal Trux, Ghost...that's a solid week right there.