Quantcast

Song of the Day (03Apr06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
this was one of those bands who plowed out a fair amount of material (3 cds), had some band membership w/ prior experience in a fairly well known band (Geoff Turner, via Gray Matter) and had some pretty catchy songs to boot.

however, Senator Flux is relegated to the dustbin of history; even web references on this band is virtually nil. if you like the poppier sound of the DC bands, check a local used for some Senator Flux records.

Universal Solvent

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
not bad on the first listen.

Hey Tim, you heard of The Great Lake Swimmers? They are touring with Centromatic right now. Saw them last night and I enjoyed them - probably more than Centro.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
spincrazy said:
not bad on the first listen.

Hey Tim, you heard of The Great Lake Swimmers? They are touring with Centromatic right now. Saw them last night and I enjoyed them - probably more than Centro.
turns out they are playing allston tonight...convince me that i should go.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Centromatic is awesome. They are from Austin TX if I recall correctly. They have a strong Flaming Lips influence but manage to keep off the random cheesy tangents (for example, they seem to have no interest in saving the world from robot domination). I asked them about their similarity to the Lips and well the pretty much said they were all friends from back in Austin and have played a lot of shows together.

We opened a show for them once. That's how I met them. Our band was completely blown away by their set. Too bad the members of our band were the only people to see them that night. They were relatively unknown at the time and nobody showed up to see them. We traded CD's and I still listen to theirs (All the Falsest Hearts can Try) all the time.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
The Great Lake Swimmers are worth seeing. Centromatic I'm still on the fence about. I like Will Johnson solo better than in this band. Not that they aren't talented, it's just no my thing. Some stuff I really like, others I can't wait to end. Most of Centromatic lives in Denton near Dallas I'm told. Will is the only one in Austin.
Will Johnson is part of a new group formed by a bunch of members with the same manager. Google Undertow Orchestra. It's Will Johnson, Mark Eitzel, Dave Bazan and Vic Chestnut (Pedro the Lion, American Music..., Centromatic, blah blah)
as one group. Stellar show they put on in NYC a month or two ago. There are two podcasts you can grab from Athens music something or other.
jdschall said:
Centromatic is awesome. They are from Austin TX if I recall correctly. They have a strong Flaming Lips influence but manage to keep off the random cheesy tangents (for example, they seem to have no interest in saving the world from robot domination). I asked them about their similarity to the Lips and well the pretty much said they were all friends from back in Austin and have played a lot of shows together.

We opened a show for them once. That's how I met them. Our band was completely blown away by their set. Too bad the members of our band were the only people to see them that night. They were relatively unknown at the time and nobody showed up to see them. We traded CD's and I still listen to theirs (All the Falsest Hearts can Try) all the time.