Quantcast

Song of the Day (03Mar06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
today's song actually hasn't been released yet...the street date for Mogwai's next (and really excellent, could be their best yet) cd _Mr Beast_ is this Tuesday, but pre-release copies have been floating around in corners, if you know which corners to look in.

mogwai's always been about the soft/loud/soft dynamics of which Slint pioneered way back when (at least in the indie rock world; i'm sure Beethoven had a head start on those lads), and while the new record isn't all that different from this blueprint, this song starts loud and stays there. and as usually, no vocals. one of the more punishing songs they've done, though not quite at the "Mogwai Fear Satan" level.

Glasgow Mega-Snake

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Relaxing.

How fitting. A live version of Laze It Up played after that on my ITunes list.

I think I missed seeing Mogwai recently.

EDIT: They are playing next Wednesday.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Good stuff :thumb:

Will give it a listen on my stereo, maybe at lunch. I don't think my computer speakers did it even close to any justice.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
narlus said:
today's song actually hasn't been released yet...the street date for Mogwai's next (and really excellent, could be their best yet) cd _Mr Beast_ is this Tuesday, but pre-release copies have been floating around in corners, if you know which corners to look in.

mogwai's always been about the soft/loud/soft dynamics of which Slint pioneered way back when (at least in the indie rock world; i'm sure Beethoven had a head start on those lads), and while the new record isn't all that different from this blueprint, this song starts loud and stays there. and as usually, no vocals. one of the more punishing songs they've done, though not quite at the "Mogwai Fear Satan" level.

Glasgow Mega-Snake

DUDE you know about Slint??? they were our contemporaries... SEAM, Bastro and others the like... Slint was awesome... and is still heavily played by me...

we played with a bunch of bands of that erra and were known for our dynamic changes... our band was called Hurl, and we played a bunch of shows up and down the East Coast and a few out West... with bands like Jawbox, Bitch Magnet, (then) Seam, Codine, Fugazi, Shuder to Think, All etc... we were on Discord's sister label Desoto Records for a 7" (look at the bottom of page) and on My Pal God records after that... I quit to go back to school, and the band moved to Chicago, and reorganized and then went by the name of "Taking Pictures" they are shopping a new record around, and it is great!!! check them out if you get a chance...

I still cant believe you know Slint...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
brungeman said:
I still cant believe you know Slint...
you know what's even funnier? i've got yr _A Place Called Today_ cd.

:cool:

i am very familiar w/ the louisville/pitt mathrock scene....i've even got the 1st two lps from Thee Speaking Canaries (_Joy of Wine_ and _Songs for the Terrestrially Challenged_).

i did manage to catch Slint at one of their few reunion shows last Spring...damn is ben daughtrey one hell of a drummer.

you listen to any Honor Role or splinter bands? Pen Rollings is a damn good guitar player, and i always liked Rob Schick's vocals. the Pitchfork/Drive Like Jehu/Hot Snakes stuff is also something i listened to a fair bit (i've also got a bunch of RFTC stuff, but i think the singles stand up better than the full lengths, at least for me).

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
brungeman said:
Shuder to Think, All etc... we were on Discord's sister label Desoto
Craig Werden had the oddest voice. Like Morrisey on crank.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
stevew said:
Craig Werden had the oddest voice. Like Morrisey on crank.
yep and an equally odd guy also... before the shows the band would be drinking red wine and do a little pep rally with like some sort of tai chi meditation!!! but boy did they rock!!!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Cool my itunes player has a new genre: post-rock.

Thanks for the tunes man. Sounds a little like "...and you will know us by the trail of dead"

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
narlus said:
you know what's even funnier? i've got yr _A Place Called Today_ cd.

:cool: .
Yep... that is funny... some other funny stuff... the drummer that took over for me in Hurl was Noah Legher who also drummed on thee speaking Canaries stuff...

narlus said:
i am very familiar w/ the louisville/pitt mathrock scene....i've even got the 1st two lps from Thee Speaking Canaries (_Joy of Wine_ and _Songs for the Terrestrially Challenged_)..
the girl in the song Annika (sp) from Joy of Wine, was about my X-gfriend...

narlus said:
i did manage to catch Slint at one of their few reunion shows last Spring...damn is ben daughtrey one hell of a drummer.
Matt Jencik auditioned for the Bass Job on the last tour this summer where they did a few shows here and then were in Europe for a few...

narlus said:
you listen to any Honor Role or splinter bands? Pen Rollings is a damn good guitar player, and i always liked Rob Schick's vocals. the Pitchfork/Drive Like Jehu/Hot Snakes stuff is also something i listened to a fair bit (i've also got a bunch of RFTC stuff, but i think the singles stand up better than the full lengths, at least for me).
Yep! good chit mang!!!!

I hated the scene when I was in it... but miss the hell out of playing with quality people like Mat, and Matt... we grew up together and saw alot of stuff together... we were real clean and never got into drugs and stuff, and it is hard to find like minded people both musically and lifestyle wise!!!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stevew said:
Relaxing.

How fitting. A live version of Laze It Up played after that on my ITunes list.

I think I missed seeing Mogwai recently.

EDIT: They are playing next Wednesday.
go see them, even if it's a 2 hr drive. they smoke in a live setting, and i am pissed that NYC is the closest they are getting to me. :(

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I was just looking at "a place called today" and I helped write #2,3,4,5,8,9,10... I think the Madison Earful 7" is me on drums but I cant remember...

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
i saw hurl a few times in 93-94 ... opening for jawbox in pburgh, lollapalooza 2nd stage i believe. i think we tried to get you guys to come down to wheeling to play with the band i was in at the time... i recall making fliers, but don't remember the show, so i'm guessing it didn't happen.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
corey_dcstreet said:
i saw hurl a few times in 93-94 ... opening for jawbox in pburgh, lollapalooza 2nd stage i believe. i think we tried to get you guys to come down to wheeling to play with the band i was in at the time... i recall making fliers, but don't remember the show, so i'm guessing it didn't happen.
Yep that was me on drums!!! What band were you playing in? we did a few shows in Morgantown but nothing in Wheeling! Jawbox was awesome for us... Good people and great to do tour dates with!!! those were great days... (the longer ago it was the more positive things I remember about it, and the less negative I remember) I loved playing and recording with Mat and Matt... Good guys and great musicians...

are you still playing? What do you play and where are you living now?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
TN said:
I couldn't really get into. I kept expecting to hear Billy Corgan whining.
:rofl: Billy Corgan whining...:rofl: TOO Funny... I hate his voice...its like a cheese grater to my ears... but the first record by S.P. (GISH) was awesome, Trippy and dynamic... great stuff at the time it came out... and still is pretty good... I break it out on vinyl every once in a while!!!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the one and only time i saw smashing pumpkins was @ TTs, in a club so hot my dollar bills got sweat-soaked through my wallet. superchunk opened, along w/ someone else (maybe american music club? that was a great weekend of shows called "Lollipops and Booze", a take off on lollapalooza...damn, who else played?).

i dug the "Tristessa" single from SP.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
narlus said:
the one and only time i saw smashing pumpkins was @ TTs, in a club so hot my dollar bills got sweat-soaked through my wallet. superchunk opened, along w/ someone else (maybe american music club? that was a great weekend of shows called "Lollipops and Booze", a take off on lollapalooza...damn, who else played?).

i dug the "Tristessa" single from SP.
yep Tristessa was on Gish... the only release I bought of theirs... some X got me some other release by them but I dont even know what or where it is... I think I listened to it 1 time...

I saw SP in Pburgh with Pearl Jam as PJ was making its ascention... I think Red Hot Chili's Headlined but I cant remember...

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
very cool, small world! at the time I was in a band called the Union Deposit Road. We played pitt campus a few times, but spent a LOT of time at nyabinghi. we played regularly with a few pburgh bands, liquid brick & peach.

no longer playing in any bands at the moment. all of my (very limited) free time goes to bikes now. i'm not very good at having multiple hobbies/obessions. :D i'm guitar/vox, just outside DC now.

i really miss jawbox... :(

brungeman said:
Yep that was me on drums!!! What band were you playing in? we did a few shows in Morgantown but nothing in Wheeling! Jawbox was awesome for us... Good people and great to do tour dates with!!! those were great days... (the longer ago it was the more positive things I remember about it, and the less negative I remember) I loved playing and recording with Mat and Matt... Good guys and great musicians...

are you still playing? What do you play and where are you living now?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
corey_dcstreet said:
very cool, small world! at the time I was in a band called the Union Deposit Road. We played pitt campus a few times, but spent a LOT of time at nyabinghi. we played regularly with a few pburgh bands, liquid brick & peach.

no longer playing in any bands at the moment. all of my (very limited) free time goes to bikes now. i'm not very good at having multiple hobbies/obessions. :D i'm guitar/vox, just outside DC now.

i really miss jawbox... :(
the Nyabinghi was one of the best clubs... Fuzzy the sound guy did a bunch of our sound when we were opening for Wool out on the road... I don't recall UDR... but then again it was a bunch of years back...
where outside of DC?

My wife gets pissed at me because I have so many hobbies... but I still try to keep my chops up by playing here and there... I had been doing a blues Jam session quite often... which is good to just keep playing...

as for Jawbox... I not only miss the band I miss them...
I last saw Jay at CMU when he, Pete Moffet and Bill Barbot were opening for Fugazi under the band name Burning Airlines... I met up with them before the show and we got caught up etc... they played an awesome show as did Fugazi... then shortly after sept. 11 happened and I don't think B-Airlines was a good name for a band anymore...:wonky2: but I miss all of those guys (and Kim) :dead:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
narlus said:
my favorite Jawbox song is their cover of Tar's "Static". ;)

although i do dig their "Airwaves Dream" buzzcocks cover a lot too.
did you hear their Cornflake Girl cover? one of the best covers ever!!!

I never realized they did that many covers...

I first met Jay, when he was playing Bass for GI... it was an inspirational as well as spiritual thing seeing GI... (the show was at the old Masonic Hall in Wilkinsburg) a place called the Sonic Temple... what a great show... a singer songwriter from NYC opened and was awesome... as well as a local band doing one of their last shows!!!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i got into GI way way too late...good stuff though.

hey, have you read the book _This Band Could Be Your Life_? it's about 13 or so chapters which are profiles on essential indie/punk bands of the early 90s...good stuff. they cover people like Black Flag, Buttholes, Dino jr, Mudhoney, Minor Threat, Minutemen (of course), etc.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
read that a few years ago ... let me see if i can dig up my favorite quote...

No doubt about it, it was a tough tour. In Florida, Mike Watt got food poisoning and suffered from chronic diarrhea for days afterward. "It got useless to keep changing my pants," Watt wrote in Hell On Wheels, "so I tied a shirt around my waist and rags around the bottoms of my pant legs and just said **** it. After three days my pants were full to the knees. Luckily, my condition improved".

great book :thumb:

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Sweet stuff Narlus. I took your recommendation and bought Happy Songs for Happy People; well worth it, and I've started listening to Young Team again too.