Quantcast

Song of the Day (04May06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i could fill a month's worth of SotD selections easily w/ essential New Zealand rock moments, but if i'd start, The Clean would be at the top of the heap. sure, music was made in Aotearoa prior to their "Tally Ho" single from '82, the second single on the hugely great Flying Nun label (the Pin Group's debut narrowly beat out honors as 1st issued from FN; when i finally found a copy about 15 years ago it cost me about $50).

The Clean were Dunedin-based, and brought a new and vital (not to mention pretty damned original) voice to the rock trio format in general, and to their local vicinity in particular. the amphetamine-edged guitar tone of front man David was instantly recognizable and innervating; brother Hamish bashed away dutifully @ the drummer's seat, and original bassist Peter Gutteridge kept the bottom end anchored as if the QE II was not to move an inch (Bats leader Robert Scott would take over Peter's position after Peter left to form Snapper).

This particular song can be found on the essential 2CD Anthology out on Merge Records, and features a menacing, film-noir type atmosphere. they've got plenty of pop bliss moments peppered throughout their work as well, if that is more your style.

At The Bottom

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Yeah, surfy. good stuff. Makes me wonder why kiwi rock never made it big here. Of course, with some rare exceptions, most other countries butcher rock and roll.