Quantcast

Song of the Day (04Sep06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the 1st day of school...seems like a languid, melancholy tune would suit it well, so we've got Loren MazzaCane Connors, master of the 'venusian blues', for you today.

Loren (and he's got a few permutations on his last name) started out as an acoustic guitar player, very folky, out of southern CT (new haven) w/ singer Kath Bloom. along the way he started to play very improvisational pieces under the name Guitar Roberts, and then morphed into an electric blues player and started a long collaboration w/ partner Suzanne Langille.

don't think delta blues; he's a master of monochrome and minimalism, and won't be most people's cup of blues. but he's been able to carve out (deeply, i must) a very impressive, singular body of work and was hugely prolific in the 90s (parkinson's has slowed him down). most of his work is imbued w/ strong emotion, and he ties back constantly to his irish heritage via album titles, cover art, and linter notes (it's mostly instrumental work, but there are some lyrics when suzanne sings).

Moonyean #1

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I can't download this song for some reason. I thought maybe yousendit was busy. I tried back latter and still can't get it. :(