Quantcast

Song of the Day (05Apr06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
loud, brash guitars were nothing new in the 80s, but what Peter Prescott, Roger Miller and Clint Conley were doing w/ them was definitely a bit ahead of what audiences were expecting; adding oddball Martin Swope as soundguy/tape manipulator didn't lower the LCD factor at all. try as they might, indifference and tinnitus made them pull the plug on their band Mission of Burma, after a few stellar releases and a heroic national tour (Eastern had a promotion for flights anywhere in the US for one month, for a $300 or so ticket...but you had to fly through Atlanta...not so easy doing a west coast tour when it's LA-> Atl -> SF-> Atl -> Seattle).

roger miller continued w/ music, mainly some compositional pieces, and peter prescott forged ahead w/ his brand of loud post-punk via Volcano Sons and Kustomized (and you could find him working @ the Mystery Train record shop on newbury st)...clint pulled out of music altogether, instead focusing his energies on producing a local TV show called Chronicle. but the out-of-the-blue reunion tour of famed brit art/punk band Wire got them together for some reconsideration, and in '01 they did a few reunion shows (martin didn't rejoin; bob weston (volcano suns, shellac) did the sound). i saw the 2nd one, and it was one of the best, most memorable shows i can recall.

this prompted some recording, and 2004 saw the release of OnOffOn. a great return to form, as this song will show:

Dirt

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
"Thats when I reach for my revolver!!!"

"Thats when it all gets blown away!!!!"

one of the best bands of that genre!!!

ROCK ON NARLUS:thumb:

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Yeah, good call. I saw them a couple of years ago. They played a lot of the new stuff. The show had a lot of shortcomings, all of which were the fault of the organizers (bunch of students here at the University), but it still rocked. Those guys were total pros. I guess I need to pick up Onoffon.